Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Paul & Wings  (Read 9638 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Paul & Wings
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 02:26:07 AM »

so why did he feel the need to keep releasing childrens songs ?

Because they pay well.

glass onion

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 07:48:12 PM »

so why did he feel the need to keep releasing childrens songs ?
well,he didn't actually release THAT many childrens' songs,did he?a couple in his 40 year solo career,plus 'yellow submarine'in the beatle days.the frog chorus was a for rupert the bear production,and mary had a little lamb-i read recently could have been a reaction in direct contrast to all the furore that surrounded give ireland back to the irish,but i don't know about that one.macca has always liked to show he is capable of turning his hand to any style of songwriting,be it pop,rock,country,film scores......even childrens' songs.i certainly enjoyed singing 'we all stand together' when i was in the choir at primary school.
......."but tonight,i just wanna stay in,and be with you"..............

cubanheel

• Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2011, 12:37:51 PM »

Perhaps he felt the need to release children's songs, as a father who had to listen to the usual junk put out for kids, and he thought, do you know what  -  I could do better than that. We've all thought it about kids' stuff, but he went and did it. He gets panned for it because everyone expects him to have a certain output, but why shouldn't he give it a go? It worked out quite well financially as I recall....

I love the bit in Shrek (dunno which one) where the old frog king dies and the frog chorus sings Live and Let Die. Cool.
...once there was a way to get back homeward ...

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2011, 12:06:17 PM »

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2011, 04:16:50 PM »

Love love LOVE that photo.

Paul released Mary Had A Little Lamb because he just happened to have a daughter named Mary who loved the song.

Bobber

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2011, 06:23:38 PM »

Paul released Mary Had A Little Lamb because he just happened to have a daughter named Mary who loved the song.

Are you sure? I always thought that it was a kind of protest. After Give Ireland Back To The Irish was banned by the BBC, Paul released MHALM as the most innocent song he could find.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2011, 06:37:45 PM »

Are you sure? I always thought that it was a kind of protest. After Give Ireland Back To The Irish was banned by the BBC, Paul released MHALM as the most innocent song he could find.

Could be a bit of both I suppose. Makes sense both ways.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2011, 09:03:20 PM »

I never took so seriously Wings as a band, I consider all those albums as solo Paul. Wings was not much more than his backing band. After all, Paul wrote and sang almost everything by Wings. In fact, you can see the label "Paul McCartney & Wings" in most of those albums. I don't think that the solo career of Paul would have been so different without Wings, that was just a different label for the same bottle.

By the way, this reminds me a funny Simpsons moment:

Deprogrammer: "My greatest achievement was getting Paul McCartney out of Wings."
Homer: "You idiot! He was the most talented one!"
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2011, 09:12:02 PM »

I never took so seriously Wings as a band...

I couldn't disagree more. Although Paul was the outstanding member, I think the other members made significant contributions.

I think of Jimmy McCulloch, Denny Laine, Laurence Juber, Denny Seiwell. It would not have been the same without them. Even Linda made some significant contributions... remember the middle part of 'Live And Let Die'.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2011, 09:17:04 PM »

Ok, we don't agree. Maybe without Wings it would have not been the same, but that doesn't mean it would have been worse. Paul could have got any other good musicians as a backing band. I still think it was all Paul's show more than a true band show.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2011, 10:31:32 AM »

I never took so seriously Wings as a band, I consider all those albums as solo Paul. Wings was not much more than his backing band. After all, Paul wrote and sang almost everything by Wings. In fact, you can see the label "Paul McCartney & Wings" in most of those albums. I don't think that the solo career of Paul would have been so different without Wings, that was just a different label for the same bottle.

By the way, this reminds me a funny Simpsons moment:

Deprogrammer: "My greatest achievement was getting Paul McCartney out of Wings."
Homer: "You idiot! He was the most talented one!"

"Paul McCartney and Wings" were only on two of the albums that were released by the band. Red Rose Speedway & BOTR. The others (Wild Life, Venus and Mars, Speed of Sound, Wings Over America, London Town, Wings Greatest and Back to the Egg) were all credited as Wings.

Most of the songs were McCartney's yes but that's because he was the main singer/songwriter. Jimmy McCulloch and Denny Laine both wrote songs that were included on albums.

If you want a "backing band" that's what McCartney's current band is. They play Macca's hits. That's it. It's all McCartney's show these days. When Wings toured America it was a true band show. Jimmy was very well respected during this time & was loved by the audiences, much to the dismay of McCartney I'm told.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2011, 03:39:33 PM »

"Paul McCartney and Wings" were only on two of the albums that were released by the band. Red Rose Speedway & BOTR. The others (Wild Life, Venus and Mars, Speed of Sound, Wings Over America, London Town, Wings Greatest and Back to the Egg) were all credited as Wings.

Most of the songs were McCartney's yes but that's because he was the main singer/songwriter. Jimmy McCulloch and Denny Laine both wrote songs that were included on albums.

If you want a "backing band" that's what McCartney's current band is. They play Macca's hits. That's it. It's all McCartney's show these days. When Wings toured America it was a true band show. Jimmy was very well respected during this time & was loved by the audiences, much to the dismay of McCartney I'm told.

I didn't mean to put the other members of Wings down, but noone can deny that Wings was basically Paul's project. Most of the other members in fact were not present from the birth to the death of the band, that's why I don't consider it a true band, though they did play like a true band in live shows. Wings existed as long as Paul wanted it to exist.
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.524 seconds with 67 queries.