Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Misinterpreted Lyrics  (Read 9915 times)

KelMar

Misinterpreted Lyrics
« on: December 18, 2013, 08:24:42 AM »

I have to say it's been a pleasure joining this forum.

I'm glad you're jumping right in!

Interesting to hear from others about examples of what they thought a song's lyrics meant when they were younger to when they became older and wiser.

This is kind of a dumb one and goes back to when I was very young but I thought "You Won't See Me" meant that Paul was going to keep out of sight. You know, kind of skulk around. I didn't grasp "see" as allowing someone to visit. So in my interpretation he was the one doing the rejecting. I'm sure I had a bunch like this because I started really listening to my sister's Beatles records when I was in second grade and I misunderstood a lot in general back then! I'll wait until I can come up with something more meaningful before I share again though.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 11:39:28 PM by Hello Goodbye »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
Re: Misinterpreted Lyrics
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 09:28:21 AM »

This is kind of a dumb one and goes back to when I was very young but I thought "You Won't See Me" meant that Paul was going to keep out of sight. You know, kind of skulk around. I didn't grasp "see" as allowing someone to visit. So in my interpretation he was the one doing the rejecting. I'm sure I had a bunch like this because I started really listening to my sister's Beatles records when I was in second grade and I misunderstood a lot in general back then! I'll wait until I can come up with something more meaningful before I share again though.  ;)

That's a good one. I use to mishear Can't Buy Me Love and thought they were singing "the money just came by" rather than " that money just can't buy", as if the poor person had just missed the daily money delivery.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 09:33:32 AM »

And when I heard I am the Walrus and John sang "I am the egg man" I thought he was saying he was a man who was an egg.....

Uh. Hold on....

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 05:03:26 PM »

And when I heard I am the Walrus and John sang "I am the egg man" I thought he was saying he was a man who was an egg.....

Uh. Hold on....

I'm glad I'm not the only one!

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 07:14:14 AM »

And I'm still not sure just how I interpreted "love her till the cows come home" from When I Get Home. I assume I imagined the Beatles were farmers in their spare time.

KelMar

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 05:33:48 PM »

And I'm still not sure just how I interpreted "love her till the cows come home" from When I Get Home. I assume I imagined the Beatles were farmers in their spare time.

ha2ha I've often thought that line was put in there on a dare.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 11:44:45 PM »

Groucho explains it well...

Marx Brothers - Duck Soup - Rufus T Fireflys introduction

3:05
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2013, 03:05:46 AM »

Groucho explains it well...

Funny! And not just the explanation, the whole thing. Groucho was a riot.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2013, 12:30:34 AM »

One that I was reminded of on the weekend was when as a young'un I used to listen to Ticket to Ride. I was sure they were singing "Shot a do right by me". What exactly a "do" was an why she'd be firing it in the Fab's direction my young mind didn't explore further.

KelMar

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2013, 02:10:16 AM »

One that I was reminded of on the weekend was when as a young'un I used to listen to Ticket to Ride. I was sure they were singing "Shot a do right by me". What exactly a "do" was an why she'd be firing it in the Fab's direction my young mind didn't explore further.

Maybe it was a hairdo; one of those fake ponytails like my sister's friend ordered out of the back of a magazine. Or a beehive.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2013, 02:45:31 AM »

Maybe it was a hairdo; one of those fake ponytails like my sister's friend ordered out of the back of a magazine. Or a beehive.

Or maybe you were thinking of...

;)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2013, 03:07:33 AM »

Or maybe you were thinking of...

Hey I remember him. Childhood memories. Flooding back.

Man. Shooting Dudley right next to the Beatles?  That's cold. Johns was better off without her.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 03:29:12 AM »

Did they provide ponytail loading rifles as well?? ???

I could see (forgetting all the literal shooting for a minute) how that interpretation might even work in a slightly symbolic way.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 03:50:56 AM »

I always thought that, too, Kelley!  :laugh:

This isn't Beatles related, but I remember in my sixth-grade music class the teacher playing us the Stones' "Get Off My Cloud" and telling us that in England a "cloud" referred to a woman, and that the song was saying, in essence, "Stay away from my woman." I labored under that misperception for a few years. I wonder why she just didn't pick another song if she didn't want to tell us it was drug related, rather than making up some goofy lie.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2013, 04:10:48 AM »

I always thought that, too, Kelley!  :laugh:

This isn't Beatles related, but I remember in my sixth-grade music class the teacher playing us the Stones' "Get Off My Cloud" and telling us that in England a "cloud" referred to a woman, and that the song was saying, in essence, "Stay away from my woman." I labored under that misperception for a few years. I wonder why she just didn't pick another song if she didn't want to tell us it was drug related, rather than making up some goofy lie.

Well. It would lend interesting interpretations to a host of songs:

Cloud 9
Above the Clouds
Cloud on my Tongue
Cloudbusting

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 03:30:31 PM »

Well. It would lend interesting interpretations to a host of songs:

ha2ha Good point! That made me laugh out loud. I'll have to try to think of some others...

KelMar

« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 10:23:18 PM »

Did they provide ponytail loading rifles as well?? ???

I could see (forgetting all the literal shooting for a minute) how that interpretation might even work in a slightly symbolic way.

I was thinking of shot in a different way, as in something moving by quickly; not necessarily from a gun. With all that jumping and screaming and chasing the girls tended to do in the Beatles' presence I could picture someone losing their fake 'do.  I think Ringo's on the lookout for one here:

Urban Space Cowboy

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 03:55:43 AM »

Hello everyone who's about to fall over themselves to welcome me to the forums! When I was a lad...I thought the repeated first line from "Eleanor Rigby" was "What about all the lonely people?", expressing sympathy. Rather disappointing finding it was really "Ah, look at all the lonely people", which seems comparatively more crass.

Fab4Fan

• Getting Better
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 04:21:20 AM »

WELCOME, Urban Space Cowboy, I hope you enjoy it here!!   partypeople
I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 04:43:43 AM »

<picking myself up>  Yes, welcome to the Forum, Urban Space Cowboy.  Enjoy your stay here.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 1.104 seconds with 78 queries.