Other music forums > Various Artists, Lyrics, Discographies

RIP Andy Williams

<< < (3/4) > >>

KelMar:
Andy's foray into rockabilly:

Andy Williams - 'Butterfly' - 1957 45rpm

KelMar:
I just finished reading Andy Williams' 2009 autobiography Moon River and Me where he mentions the first televised Grammy Awards which he hosted and on which John Lennon appeared as a presenter with Paul Simon:

"John Lennon didn't typically do television but he agreed to this appearance; it may have been because it took his fancy or because he was returning a favor I'd done for him a couple of years earlier."

Williams had supported John during his deportation issues. He went on to talk about how much fun he had with John at the party afterwards. He received this hand-delivered letter the next day:

March 9 or 10? 1975

Dear andy,

I enjoyed meeting you at Discogrammy, we both did. Hope you got home OK. A couple of as got to talking about you the next day and we ended up thinking what a great job you would do on my song Bless You. so i thought, what the hell, i'll tell you! i've never written a letter like this before, i'm worried in case i come off like some kind of 'promo' man. anyway i've done it now, all the best to you.

love John.
p.s the typings mine all mine!

He didn't take John up on the offer but he did frame the letter and still had it on his office wall when he wrote this book.

17th GRAMMYs: Paul Simon and John Lennon co-presenting the GRAMMY for Record Of The Year

Bless You - John Lennon (Remastered 2010)

RICKENBACKER325:

--- Quote from: In My Life on October 02, 2012, 03:23:14 AM ---Andy's foray into rockabilly:

Andy Williams - 'Butterfly' - 1957 45rpm

--- End quote ---
It pretty kool stuff aint it ;D. what struck about this song is that Andy sounded remarkably like rockabilly pioneer Johnny Burnette! And sorta like Eddie cochrans "Sitting in the balcony" Either way he was in great "Rockabilly" company! Check out Johnny and Dorsey Burnettes early band, The Rock and roll trio material and listen to some of Eddie Cochrans ballads. I am sure you'll hear what I am talking about. Just proves Andy had range!!!!

Hello Goodbye:
Andy Williams with Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - What Kind of Fool Am I? ~ The Fool on the Hill

Andy Williams with Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 - What Kind of Fool Am I? ~ The Fool on the Hill

Hello Goodbye:
Linda Ronstadt & Andy Williams - Medley  Long Long Time and Ticket To Ride

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version