Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Oasis beat Beatles in Album Poll!!  (Read 3095 times)

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
Oasis beat Beatles in Album Poll!!
« on: June 02, 2006, 12:14:21 PM »

Here's some bollocks which annoyed me this morning!!!!!

2 June 2006
OASIS: DEFINITELY NO.1
Oasis debut LP voted greatest album ever

ROCKERS Oasis have long claimed to be the world's best band - and if a poll is to believed there's no maybe about it.

The debut release by the outspoken Mancunians, Definitely Maybe, has been voted the greatest album of all time by more than 40,000 music lovers.

The LP, which helped define Britpop in the early 90s and featured hits such as Live Forever and Supersonic, beat The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band into second place. The Fab Four - often cited as Oasis' biggest influence - also took third spot with Revolver, followed by Radiohead's OK Computer and Oasis' second LP, (What's the Story) Morning Glory?, at five.

Only two US offerings made the top 20 - Nirvana's Nevermind at six and The Strokes' Is This It at 20 - while Up the Bracket, the 2002 debut by Pete Doherty's old band The Libertines, is the newest album in the top 20 at 15.

The Stone Roses' self-titled LP is at seven followed by Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and The Smiths' The Queen is Dead. Radiohead appear again with The Bends at 10.

The survey, celebrating 50 years of the Official UK Albums Chart, pulled in votes from as far afield as New Zealand, Croatia and Colombia.

David Roberts, editor of the Book of British Hit Singles and Albums, which ran the poll with NME.com, said: "Our readers are the most knowledgeable music fans so for them to decide Definitely Maybe should be number one is really something."

Definitely Maybe cost
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Re: Oasis beat Beatles in Album Poll!!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2006, 01:26:52 PM »

So what? Polls mean nothing. Oasis are a great band but they haven't got whatever it was that made The Beatles a great band, whatever that was.

Truth is, no other band will ever do what The Beatles did in 7 years at the time when the pill had just come in and drugs started to infiltrate into pop culture, they took every drug and people know that but they get away with it for being 'fab'. Add Kennedy, Vietnam, etc...

I can't wait for a decent authorised biopic. So many kids diss the group because they think they are simple 60's bubblegum, which is true in some respects but a billion miles wide of the mark in many others. Give them a movie or trilogy of movies and cram it down their throats.

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2006, 08:25:44 PM »

Quote from: The_End
Here's some bollocks which annoyed me this morning!!!!!

2 June 2006
OASIS: DEFINITELY NO.1
Oasis debut LP voted greatest album ever

ROCKERS Oasis have long claimed to be the world's best band - and if a poll is to believed there's no maybe about it.

The debut release by the outspoken Mancunians, Definitely Maybe, has been voted the greatest album of all time by more than 40,000 music lovers.

The LP, which helped define Britpop in the early 90s and featured hits such as Live Forever and Supersonic, beat The Beatles' Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band into second place. The Fab Four - often cited as Oasis' biggest influence - also took third spot with Revolver, followed by Radiohead's OK Computer and Oasis' second LP, (What's the Story) Morning Glory?, at five.

Only two US offerings made the top 20 - Nirvana's Nevermind at six and The Strokes' Is This It at 20 - while Up the Bracket, the 2002 debut by Pete Doherty's old band The Libertines, is the newest album in the top 20 at 15.

The Stone Roses' self-titled LP is at seven followed by Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon and The Smiths' The Queen is Dead. Radiohead appear again with The Bends at 10.

The survey, celebrating 50 years of the Official UK Albums Chart, pulled in votes from as far afield as New Zealand, Croatia and Colombia.

David Roberts, editor of the Book of British Hit Singles and Albums, which ran the poll with NME.com, said: "Our readers are the most knowledgeable music fans so for them to decide Definitely Maybe should be number one is really something."

Definitely Maybe cost

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2006, 08:34:02 PM »

Would we also consider it crap when The Beatles should have been #1?

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2006, 11:52:47 AM »

Quote from: Bobber
Would we also consider it crap when The Beatles should have been #1?

It would depend what else was in the chart! In THIS chart, we also have Is This It by The Strokes and Hot Fuss by The Killers both above Pet Sounds!!! PLUS the Spice Girls at number 89!!!!! So, even if The Beatles were number 1, this chart would still be crap and also bollocks, in my humble opinion! ;)

If Pet Sounds were number 1 instead of Oasis I could've understood because Revolver/Sgt Pepper/Pet Sounds have all been regular number 1s over the years.

Personally speaking, I don't think Definitely Maybe deserves to be in the top 15 or possibly 20. It's a good album but it ain't THAT good!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2006, 11:54:09 AM »

I can't see anything wrong in accepting that the Oasis album means more to people now than Sgt Pepper. The world does move on. To be second after forty years is no mean achievement, and like them or not, Oasis are huge here. (and Pepper does have it's soggy bits)
Good on them I say.
don't follow leaders

Bobber

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2006, 11:55:13 AM »

We're aging... There's not much 15-year old kids who knows about Pet Sounds.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2006, 01:55:45 PM »

And to be fair to Oasis, Definately Maybe has been around 10 years, so it's not a flash-in-the-pan thing, and was was regarded as a classic pretty much from the moment of its release.
don't follow leaders

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2006, 02:49:42 PM »

A classic, yes - but not the number one album of all-time in my opinion.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2006, 03:00:46 PM »

Quote from: The_End
A classic, yes - but not the number one album of all-time in my opinion.

Me neither mate. It's always a tough call.
I always get torm between the album I think is the most influential (Revolver),  or the album I enjoy listening to the most - and that changes all the time.
"Greatest" is such a stupid word.
don't follow leaders

The End

• That Means a Lot
    • The End
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 06:49:08 PM »

You're absolutely spot on there, Kevin :)

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 53 queries.