Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Beatles under a microscope - Sgt. Peppers  (Read 64351 times)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Beatles under a microscope - Sgt. Peppers
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2011, 05:33:13 AM »

What a strange thing to say! Most Beatles fans seem  to consider them sublime masterpieces of the very highest order!

Really? I've never really heard a bunch of Beatle fans ever associate these songs with the masterpiece tag. Some,,,sure. The majority,,,,,hardly.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2011, 02:01:16 PM »

What in Gods name are you thinking man.  ha2ha

Haha, don't know, I actually enjoy that song a lot. I think every song on Sgt. Pepper's is very good or excellent, though only a few are truly masterpieces in my opinion.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2011, 06:21:41 PM »

I would take away Fixing A Hole and She's Leaving Home

Fixing A Hole is my favorite song on this album.

;D 
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2011, 10:16:42 PM »

;D

ha2ha

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior
« Reply #84 on: October 21, 2011, 12:08:50 AM »

I remember reading that the original track line up of the Sgt. Pepper's album (Prior to being released) was different and was truly intended to be heard in the exact numerical order as follows:   

(1.) Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
(2.) With A Little Help From My Friends
(3.) Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite
(4.) Fixing A Hole
(5.) Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
(6.) Getting Better
(7.) She's Leaving Home
(8.) Within You Without You
(9.) When I'm Sixty-Four
(10.) Lovely Rita
(11.) Good Morning Good Morning
(12.) Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
(13.) A Day In The Life 

I programed all of the tracks this way and I LOVE IT!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2012, 03:22:38 AM »

She’s Leaving Home - When I first listened to the stereo CD in 1987, this song sounded a bit different to me so I pulled out my mono LP and gave it a listen.  The mono version was sped up a semitone higher in pitch.  I prefer the stereo mix; Paul's voice and accent sounds so sad.  It is a sad song after all.  The harp and orchestra add to the morose atmosphere of this song.  John's background vocals and "bye-byes" intensify the gloom.  Regardless, I like this song.  It always stirs up a lot of emotion each time I hear it.
I always thought fun was the one thing money could buy! : )
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2012, 10:07:55 AM »

I remember reading that the original track line up of the Sgt. Pepper's album (Prior to being released) was different and was truly intended to be heard in the exact numerical order as follows:   

(1.) Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
(2.) With A Little Help From My Friends
(3.) Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite
(4.) Fixing A Hole
(5.) Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
(6.) Getting Better
(7.) She's Leaving Home
(8.) Within You Without You
(9.) When I'm Sixty-Four
(10.) Lovely Rita
(11.) Good Morning Good Morning
(12.) Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise)
(13.) A Day In The Life 

I programed all of the tracks this way and I LOVE IT!

Seems like a good order to me. I'll try that.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2012, 02:28:32 AM »

Thing is with that is that it was Paul who brought in the tape loops that made TNK so innovative and George played the backward guitar solo and if I remember rightly I've read somewhere that he did the guitar while no one else was there or maybe that was the guitar solo in I'm only sleeping.

That's true, but curiously they always were more experimental with John's songs. I guess he was more open minded toward new things and let the others "play" with his tunes, beyond the fact that all the screwing around could work or not.

Toejam

• A Beginning
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2012, 08:45:55 PM »

That's true, but curiously they always were more experimental with John's songs. I guess he was more open minded toward new things and let the others "play" with his tunes, beyond the fact that all the screwing around could work or not.
In one of his last interviews John actually made that point with a bit of bitterness and seemingly critical of Paul for not being willing to take risks with his own songs.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2012, 04:12:07 PM »

In one of his last interviews John actually made that point with a bit of bitterness and seemingly critical of Paul for not being willing to take risks with his own songs.

I guess you're talking about this John's quote in his Playboy interview from 1980:

"The Beatles didn't make a good record of 'Across the Universe.' I think subconsciously we... I thought Paul subconsciously tried to destroy my great songs. We would play experimental games with my great pieces, like 'Strawberry Fields,' which I always felt was badly recorded. It worked, but it wasn't what it could have been. I allowed it, though. We would spend hours doing little, detailed cleaning up on Paul's songs, but when it came to mine... especially a great song like 'Strawberry Fields' or 'Across the Universe' ...somehow an atmosphere of looseness and experimentation would come up."

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2012, 11:48:30 PM »

Paul has also said in interviews that John would come up with a good song but didn't have the patience to follow through to finish them. I think Paul was ambitious enough to want to add to some of Johns great songs but also trying to be a good Beatle as well. John might sound like a Jealous Guy at times.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #91 on: August 16, 2012, 12:08:59 AM »

Paul has also said in interviews that John would come up with a good song but didn't have the patience to follow through to finish them. I think Paul was ambitious enough to want to add to some of Johns great songs but also trying to be a good Beatle as well. John might sound like a Jealous Guy at times.

I always wondered about that. There's always two sides to every story. Not jumping on the Paul bandwagon here either, as we all know how big that ego can be.

nimrod

« Reply #92 on: August 16, 2012, 12:59:47 AM »

I always wondered about that. There's always two sides to every story. Not jumping on the Paul bandwagon here either, as we all know how big that ego can be.

It seems in the studio Paul always had loads of patience to perfect things, John didnt, Ive read things from musicians he used post Beatles , apparently he liked things done quickly, he hated people messing about, Im sure it wouldve been like that with the Beatles, Paul would spend days on the smallest detail, think it drove John mad :)

Snoopy66

• A Beginning
« Reply #93 on: August 16, 2012, 06:31:45 AM »

It seems in the studio Paul always had loads of patience to perfect things, John didnt, Ive read things from musicians he used post Beatles , apparently he liked things done quickly, he hated people messing about, Im sure it wouldve been like that with the Beatles, Paul would spend days on the smallest detail, think it drove John mad :)
Yes, I've read that too. John just didn't have the patience to work out every detail during the recording-sessions, whereas Paul has always been the perfectionist. I guess it's also due to their very different personalities.

Though I read that John could be very perfectionist too with his solo-work, for instance during the recording of "Double Fantasy", according to some musicians.

Snoopy

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #94 on: August 16, 2012, 10:59:14 PM »

No. He left the stuido after an argument. I wonder what happend that day. Very s trange.
Who played bass on She said, She said!? The bass playing reminds me of Revolution(fast version)a lot.
Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #95 on: August 16, 2012, 11:01:25 PM »

;D
One of mine too. Almost psychadelic in a dreamy sort of way and great lead guitar!
Mark Twain

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2012, 11:05:49 PM »

Wher would you put "Only a Northern Song" if you were going to include it on the album!?  B side?
Mark Twain

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2012, 11:44:27 PM »

I'd replace 'When I'm 64' with it although that would be two George tunes in a row.

nimrod

« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2012, 11:50:00 PM »

I'd replace 'When I'm 64' with it although that would be two George tunes in a row.

For me its not good enough, sorry folks, it just drones on, I like When Im 64, great song (a classic), didnt like Honey Pie though, he went too far with that one :)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #99 on: August 17, 2012, 01:49:52 AM »

For me its not good enough, sorry folks, it just drones on, I like When Im 64, great song (a classic), didnt like Honey Pie though, he went too far with that one :)

Talk about a song that drones on and on, 'Within You Without You' does that for me. I almost went with WYWY as the song to replace, but at least it has the right atmosphere for Peppers. While I like 'When I'm 64' and its a good song, its just so out of place on the record that it sticks out like a sore thumb.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Page created in 1.135 seconds with 82 queries.