Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Beatles have blown my mind  (Read 5459 times)

BeatlesandBud

• One And One Is Two
  • Nowhere Man
The Beatles have blown my mind
« on: June 07, 2012, 03:35:14 AM »

The Beatles... wow where do I even begin ?? I should start out with a little about myself. I'm 23 years old and have always considered myself to be a musical connoisseur. When I was 16, I got really into bands like Metallica and Megadeth and inspired me to pick up a guitar. For some reason (please please forgive me) I always hated the Beatles. First impressions were everything to me and I scoffed at the Beatles (I didn't go out of my way to hate them I just never listened to them). Probably the only Beatle song I knew was "Come Together". Looking back now this isn't even really that good of a Beatles song (just a testament to the awesomeness of the Beatles' catalog.) Sooo, I never liked the Beatles. Fast forward to January of 2012 and I heard the song Eleanor Rigby for the first time. I was blown away. NOTHING like I have ever heard musically. Next got my hands on 1962-66, fell in love. Next came Revolver, f***ing amazing. Then Sgt. Peppers, next the white album, and now finally Abbey Road, and 67-70 to fill in the gaps. For the past 5 months the Beatles have literally taken over my life. I simply cannot get enough of this band. Their music is unlike anything I have ever heard before. Not only musically but my entire life seems to have been re inspired by this group of 4 men. I bought a poster of Beatles singles on it and it really put into perspective as to what and when they did. I'm 23, I'm desensitized to so much sh*t because of the modern world. Yet a 50 year old band can have such a profound effect on me. I can't even imagine being alive in the late 60's. If they can sound creative new and amazing in today's world what was it like back then to the people living? To be honest I don't even know what point I am trying to make here I just hope someone will realize what I am trying to say.

thought Revolver was my favorite album just because it is so amazing. Then I heard the White album and I was thinking I know why some people think it is their best album. Abbey road though... they have reached a mature sound that to me is very distinct and I think it is my favorite.. it makes you sad to realize that this was it and if they could've continued functioning together as a band ... some epic music
One more thing. Now after listening to the Beatles I have noticed a TON of subtle pop culture that is 100% Beatles that growing up I had no idea. Now looking back I realize  :P

In my opinion, the Beatles are not only the greatest musical act of all time, but also mankind's crowning artistic achievement.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: The Beatles have blown my mind
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 03:43:31 AM »

To be honest I don't even know what point I am trying to make here I just hope someone will realize what I am trying to say.

We know exactly what you're trying to say.

Welcome to the Forum, BeatlesandBud!  You'll enjoy it here.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 07:22:48 PM by Hello Goodbye »
I can stay till it's time to go

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 07:44:22 AM »

Don't worry, we have all walked the same way. ha2ha  Barry (aka Hello Goodbye) used to be the biggest Motorhead fan on earth. And look what happened to him!

Great story BeatlesandBud and welcome aboard.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 03:26:33 PM »

Barry (aka Hello Goodbye) used to be the biggest Motorhead fan on earth. And look what happened to him!

Yes, life's much better now, Cor.

Hey John, what are you looking for?  Blue Meanies?

Jema

• Getting Better
  • "The Beatles will exist without us." - George
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 04:03:07 PM »

I really enjoyed reading your story, the Beatles have done wonders for me and they have an amazing affect on me too and it's nice to see what they've done for you :) !

BeatlesandBud

• One And One Is Two
  • Nowhere Man
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 04:14:18 PM »

Thanks for all the welcomes! It is super nice. I love the pictues, they are cute =) There is a chance that John dropped his pick into his guitar and is trying to get it out, just speculating.
In my opinion, the Beatles are not only the greatest musical act of all time, but also mankind's crowning artistic achievement.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 07:47:48 PM »

I can't even imagine being alive in the late 60's. If they can sound creative new and amazing in today's world what was it like back then to the people living?

Well, I was a teenager in the 60s.  I was 20 when The Beatles broke up.  The impact they've had on you was the same as I experienced.  With each album, The Beatles changed the course of popular and rock music.  It was amazing to hear each new song and album for the first time.  We saw their effect on other rock groups. 

They not only set trends in music, but in hair and clothes too.  The Beatles, and George particularly, made us aware of Indian religion and music.

We knew The Beatles were on the verge of breaking up.  We just didn't know precisely when it happened.  There was no internet to keep us informed.  I remember sitting in my MGB (most appropriate) with my girlfriend Nancy and hearing this song on the radio one day in December 1969...

Badfinger - Come and get it 1970

We both thought it was The Beatles.  When the song finished, the DJ said "That was Badfinger, the next Beatles."  We looked at each other and said, at the same time, "Huh?"

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 11:19:46 PM »

For some reason (please please forgive me) I always hated the Beatles... and I scoffed at the Beatles (I didn't go out of my way to hate them I just never listened to them).

I have younger friends through work or whatever that scoff at the thought of the Beatles.  I enjoyed your discovery story.  I've forever wondered two things:

1) if you took a really good Beatles song (pick one) and released it today (but it never had been heard before somehow), would it resonate?  You said Eleanor Rigby, what if that never had come out and was released by somebody today...would it be considered genius?  I think so.

2) Why there aren't copy cat groups either naturally or invented by the studios that try to mimic the style of singing (3 or 4 lead singers and backing vocals on many songs) or the style of the songwriting/lyrics?

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 10:33:45 AM »

2) Why there aren't copy cat groups either naturally or invented by the studios that try to mimic the style of singing (3 or 4 lead singers and backing vocals on many songs) or the style of the songwriting/lyrics?

In a manner of speaking, I'd say there are some. Maybe they try to avoid appearing to be too derivative, but the Beatles' influence still shines through all over the place.

Nice story, BeatlesandBud. Welcome.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

KelMar

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 06:09:58 AM »

Fast forward to January of 2012 and I heard the song Eleanor Rigby for the first time. I was blown away. NOTHING like I have ever heard musically.

Welcome BeatlesandBud. I'm always happy when a young person discovers and loves The Beatles. I have a son who is your age. He loves music like I do but I just can't seem to get him to embrace The Beatles. I'm not sure if he thinks of them as Mom's obsession or if he hasn't heard the right thing yet. Maybe Revolver would do it, huh?  And I do understand just what you are trying to say.  :)

BeatlesandBud

• One And One Is Two
  • Nowhere Man
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 07:04:40 AM »

Welcome BeatlesandBud. I'm always happy when a young person discovers and loves The Beatles. I have a son who is your age. He loves music like I do but I just can't seem to get him to embrace The Beatles. I'm not sure if he thinks of them as Mom's obsession or if he hasn't heard the right thing yet. Maybe Revolver would do it, huh?  And I do understand just what you are trying to say.  :)

Revolver did it for me :D

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 61 queries.