Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Phil and Don  (Read 6765 times)

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Phil and Don
« on: July 17, 2007, 10:59:44 PM »

we know paul loved them he recorded with them and lists them as an influence.....john enjoyed their music too...i do too.....songs like when will i be loved,bird dog,kathys clown,ebony eyes,wake up little susie,all i gotta do is dream.....well thats off my head if you wanna see what they did look here http://www.lyricallysquared.com/viewartist/Everly-Brothers
kind of rockabillyish in the vein of the collins kids and ricky nelson...... they started out in country music but moved into pop which was rock at the time(america was still tender from alan freed)they were good and rocked....
they grew up in music....read about it at this fantastic tribute site http://www.everlybrothers.com/html/bio.html
they were part of the music scene for many a year...there ain't nobody don't like them.....i like them because they remind me of simpler times...life has a way of balling you up as you get older and your perspective changes....there were drive ins and music was enjoyed by most.....phil and don were actually b4 my time but i grew up listening to them......makes sense doesn't it......my dad was a country musician and that was my introduction in music besides maybe the batman theme.....he wasn't famous but he was our favorite preformer...
i grew up liking george hamilton the 4th,hank williams senior,kitty wells,george jones and more but wait i 4got dads favorite...the man he emulated....a man he respected as no other....the man in black johnny cash....oh christ how he dug the cashmeister...i dug him cause daddy did...but he is good...he sang with don and phil...it seemed like they had a good time back then making music with a bunch of different people....things ain't like that here no more i don't know about there....welll any how thanks phil...thanks don ;)
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
Re: Phil and Don
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2007, 11:08:36 PM »

first 45 picture sleeve in america cool......did you catch that???

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 07:20:24 AM »

I thought Phil and Don didn't get along very well.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 11:44:45 AM »

siblings fight but usually in the end you make up...blood lines are a hard thing to deny...

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 06:39:11 PM »

the everly brothers and gerry and the pacemakers
UXxOBzD0Ts8

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 12:28:14 AM »

Quote from: 284
siblings fight but usually in the end you make up...blood lines are a hard thing to deny...

And so they did after ten years, in 1983.  Sibling harmony sounds so nice.  Sibling rivalry deprived us of so much more from the Everly Brothers.

tb-4cmjTA1s

YKn6h2x5IcY

That's The Crickets backing them up.......1961

They play a couple of bars of Raunchy before the Everly Brothers sing Bird Dog.
I can stay till it's time to go

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 12:23:49 AM »

Sorry if there is a thread there already for this - I checked back 15 pages, didn't see one, mods please feel free to move this if there's a more appropriate place ...

Everly Brothers. One of the first reasons John and Paul cut school - to try and master their harmonies. They are one of my favorite groups, that high voice (never knew if it was Phil or Don) was just like Paul's ... sort of ethereal like.

Anyway, here's something that I'm guessing was from the late 50s early 60s on British TV -
hope you like it!

"Of course, this is the era of disc stars..." - priceless!

Bird Dog and  Till I Kissed You, LIVE!!
tb-4cmjTA1s
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 12:55:13 AM »

All I Have To Do Is Dream (sigh....) ; Cathy's Clown
YKn6h2x5IcY

Does "Cathy's Clown" remind you of "Please Please Me", I mean the way the two voices play off each other in the first few bars of each song?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Pilzkopf

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 03:07:11 AM »

^Yup. The way the way the voices start the chorus in unison and then diverge - very similar. The Everlys were definitely an influence, I would say.

If you play the two songs side by side (and I just did), what strikes you most is the difference in the quality of the bands. The backing for CC is just that - backing. It is very much a supporting role, supplying the right rhythm and harmony, but nothing more. With PPM the band is an aggressive participant, almost heavy-metal in the way it attacks with those chord changes E - G - A - B.  It was the first Beatles song I ever heard, and I paid much more attention to the driving guitars than I did to the singing. It's at least half the excitement of the song. I was open-mouthed at George's solo - if you can call it that. I mean, the sheer insolence of the Beatles in doing something that would seem to anyone else to be suicidal. The whole band breaks off abruptly, just stops, leaving George to play just three notes with five strikes of the plectrum. Whaaaa?

The woman introducing the Everly Bros on your Bird Dog clip is Alma Cogan. Here she is "doing" the Beatles. (And it is her, not Doris Day.)

bze0My8vyoo

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 03:09:21 AM »

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 06:50:41 PM »

Quote from: 1943
^Yup. The way the way the voices start the chorus in unison and then diverge - very similar. The Everlys were definitely an influence, I would say.

If you play the two songs side by side (and I just did), what strikes you most is the difference in the quality of the bands. The backing for CC is just that - backing. It is very much a supporting role, supplying the right rhythm and harmony, but nothing more. With PPM the band is an aggressive participant, almost heavy-metal in the way it attacks with those chord changes E - G - A - B.  It was the first Beatles song I ever heard, and I paid much more attention to the driving guitars than I did to the singing. It's at least half the excitement of the song. I was open-mouthed at George's solo - if you can call it that. I mean, the sheer insolence of the Beatles in doing something that would seem to anyone else to be suicidal. The whole band breaks off abruptly, just stops, leaving George to play just three notes with five strikes of the plectrum. Whaaaa?

The woman introducing the Everly Bros on your Bird Dog clip is Alma Cogan. Here she is "doing" the Beatles. (And it is her, not Doris Day.)

bze0My8vyoo

Yes, thanks for that background on Alma Cogan, pilz.

And I agree, PPM was like a Richter Scale 10 break from what it seemed to me (who has only read about it) that came before - even from their previous single Love Me Do. One of the things that always stood out for me was the drumming, I used to give Ringo mega-kudos for that. Then later, somewhere I heard a demo version (early take) with Alan White being the drummer, and all the little machine-gun riffs were there in his version. Did Ringo just nick and embellish?  :B
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 08:49:20 AM »

Quote from: 568

Yes, thanks for that background on Alma Cogan, pilz.

And I agree, PPM was like a Richter Scale 10 break from what it seemed to me (who has only read about it) that came before - even from their previous single Love Me Do. One of the things that always stood out for me was the drumming, I used to give Ringo mega-kudos for that. Then later, somewhere I heard a demo version (early take) with Alan White being the drummer, and all the little machine-gun riffs were there in his version. Did Ringo just nick and embellish?  :B

More on Alma here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1205242385/

I think you mean Andy White there?

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 09:08:08 AM »

"Martin Luther, Phil and Don..."  :)

8O1zmTkKYyo

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 03:55:57 PM »

Quote from: 63

More on Alma here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1205242385/

I think you mean Andy White there?

Yup, thanks! (blush3)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Ligger

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 03:45:50 PM »

I just love that above 1965 Shindig video of Gerry and the Pacemakers competing with Phil and Don. There is so much going on. It really bears watching several times.

First of all, there are two pair of dueling siblings:
Gerry and his older brother, Fred the drummer vs the Everly boys.

You even see Gerry Marsden in the same shot as brother, Fred Marsden, at the start 0:15. I've watched quite a few Pacemakers clips and rarely see them composed together like that.

Things really start to get ugly though, when Gerry barges in between Phil and Don to sing Pretend. At 2:49  he accidentally (?) clobbers Don in the nose with his Rickenbacker. I read that there was a fist fight back stage after the show because of that.

Not to  mention  Don and Phil start it all off playing the song that the Beatles rejected as a follow up to Love Me Do...

Thanks pc31 for posting it.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 11:58:58 PM »

here is chuck and gerry and the pacemakers...
gNLhPeHBZsY

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2009, 12:04:21 AM »

the everlys were good lyricists...i remeber when i was about 6 i started listening to them...they were great at harmonizing...bob wrote lay lady lay for them but they rejected it being wholesome boys.....they grew up country..and kind of drifted into rock thru rockabilly...that made it possible for even country singers to have rock hits...and even more country singers did rockabilly tunes even tho they never did what they considered rock...george jones and conway twitty started out in rock...

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 03:45:22 PM »

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2009, 03:50:46 PM »

Tq-gllHVQYk
sounds like a scott walker influence...lol

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2009, 03:53:35 PM »

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.586 seconds with 89 queries.