Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Yellow Submarine Remake  (Read 7505 times)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
Yellow Submarine Remake
« on: August 20, 2009, 02:51:50 PM »

I've always kinda wanted a new Beatles animated movie, but a remake?

Sorry if this was already posted but..

The Front Page
20 August 2009
It’s All Too Much: Robert Zemeckis’ Proposed ‘Yellow Submarine’ Remake

Honestly, who wouldn’t love to see Pepperland rendered in three high resolution dimensions? Wouldn’t it be great to see the unlimited imagination of the modern artistic freely unleashed within an ‘anything is possible’ paradigm?

The purists are already up in arms. Less than 24 hours since it was announced that Robert Zemeckis was helming a motion capture 3D remake of the Beatles classic bit of animated psychedelia, Yellow Submarine, and you’d swear the State of New York was paroling Mark David Chapman (don’t recognize the name? Go read something else!). Everyone, from film fans to protectors of the Fab Four sonic flame are arguing over the implied heresy of such an idea, complaining that technology and a “fresh” approach can’t contribute anything to what is already a classic.

And for the most part, they are right. The original project, completed without the pop phenomenon’s direct input (voices were impersonators, songs were leftovers along with some past classics), has remained a fixture of the artform, a post-modern Fantasia finding depth and meaning in the Lennon/McCartney songbook classicism. Dealing with the faraway kingdom of Pepperland and Old Fred’s battle against the bad vibe aggression of the memorable Blue Meanies, there was something very twee, and quite terrific, about George Dunning’s Peter Max-inspired effort. Now comes the threat of a Tinseltown treatment, the work of late ‘60s artisans sacrificed for a few gigs of RAM and a more photorealistic look.

Granted, it’s not the worst idea ever conceived. One look at Zemeckis’ attempts in the computer imaging arena would argue for the possibilities within such a project. Over the course of intriguing works like The Polar Express, Beowulf, and the upcoming Jim Carrey vehicle A Christmas Carol, the Back to the Future/Roger Rabbit auteur has come close to mimicking realism within a completely fabricated realm. Sure, the eyes still seem kind of dead and the facial motion reminds one of a trip to Disney’s mechanical Hall of Presidents more than real movement, but as progress makes such advancements better - and more importantly, cheaper - and exercise like Yellow Submarine makes sense.

Honestly, who wouldn’t love to see Pepperland rendered in three high resolution dimensions? Wouldn’t it be great to see the unlimited imagination of the modern artistic freely unleashed within an ‘anything is possible’ paradigm? The original is indeed a phenomenal bit of cartooning contrasts - rotoscoping incorporated into free form visions of a dying Victorian landscape, unusual villains whose horrors seem slightly surreal and almost laughable, the attention to detail, the broad-based over-stylzed sections. Now take what technology does best and AMPLIFY that. Understand now? Zemeckis may sound like the wrong man to remake the group’s already established status, but why not let his techniques take the material to new, heretofore unheard of heights?

Let’s look at the facts - the Beatles themselves did little to foster the original project. They really didn’t want to participate at all. They weren’t sitting with the animators, lording over every creative and character design issue. Instead, they licensed their rights and image, allowed Dunning and his crew to take the material wherever they liked, tossed off a few tunes, and reaped the praise when the results were masterful. With the untimely passing of John in 1980, and George’s death from cancer in 2001, it has been left to Paul, Ringo, Yoko, and Olivia to preserve the dynasty, and there will never be a chance to see the lads from Liverpool together again - except now. With the way in which Zemeckis makes his movies, this could be the Beatles “reunion” fans have long dreamt of.

Besides, where’s the proposed bellyaches over the about to be released Fab Four version of Rock Band. Instead of complaining about taking a 2D cartoon into another advanced dimension, said protracted bile should be preserved for a video game that fakes musicianship for the sake of a false sense of artistic accomplishment. Indeed, what’s more disrespectful to the genius of this seminal ‘60s group - taking their image and reinventing a fictional fable about peace, love, understanding, and ecology around it, or reducing their groundbreaking arrangements and pure songwriting genius into a series of joystick controls and button manipulations?

Still, one can see the point of the purists (the same ones who are probably working their voodoo curse magic on the makers of a certain console title as we speak). Everything about the Beatles legacy is important - from the early days of drugs and debauchery to their post-breakup bickering and lawsuits. They remain wholly unique in the annals of rock and roll, a distillation of what came before as a means of creating the blueprint for all that would come after. They delivered some of the greatest albums of all time, and when they failed (The Magical Mystery Tour TV special), they screwed up fabulously. They thought big (they once discussed making their own version of Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings) and more often than not, produced. No other band can claim their influence and social import. To argue otherwise avoids several decades of actual history.

So retrofitting the adventures of a certain saffron submersible and its quick witted crew, to redesign the “Nowhere Man” himself, Jeremy Hilary Boob Ph.D into something more marketable and merchandisable does seem like part inspiration and part sacrilege. The group’s catalog has long needed a remaster, so the upcoming digital upgrades are more welcome than worthless, and there’s no suggestion about remaking A Hard Day’s Night or Help! with some nonsensical no-talent like The Jonas Brothers or Fall Out Boy in the lead. Even with Rock Band relegating their brilliance to memorizable bits of hand/eye coordination, at least the music is being heard again. Indeed, if Yellow Submarine 2012 (currently planned to coincide with London’s Summer Olympic Games) brings back unforgettable tunes like “It’s All Too Much” and “Hey Bulldog”, it might be worth it.

And there’s the already produced “cinematic” opening for the above-referenced video game to consider. Done via traditional as well as CG-aided animation and covering most of the group’s career, it’s considered “epic”, “operatic”, and “stunning” even by those who would defend the mythos of the originals to the death. In fact, if done correctly, an updated Yellow Submarine could become another modern masterpiece in the band’s lingering mystique. Remember the uproar over Anthology and the new ‘song’, “Free as a Bird”? A fantastic career spanning video changes many minds about its authenticity and place. So why couldn’t something like this? What if Zemeckis is not planning a mere remake? What if he intends his Submarine as a way of marking the group’s significance - a greatest hits, if you will, illustrated with eye popping visuals that play as an overview of everything they accomplished? Doesn’t sound to bad now, does it?

In the meantime, be prepared for the backlash. It’s the natural reaction when you shake your tiny fists at the gods. A few years ago it was ‘cool’ to dismiss The Beatles as nothing more than a teen idol boy band - an ‘N Sync, if you will, with better combined creativity. Whenever anyone challenged such a narrow minded perception, the proposed youth coup would complain, citing the sourpuss’s need to change with the changing times. Of course, all consensus being cyclical, we are back to defending our mop topped heroes like the counterculture icons they truly were.

If Rock Band is okay and new “stereo” mixes of their old Mono tracks are tolerable, a new Yellow Submarine doesn’t seem so horrific. Then again, that’s what they said about Julie Taymor’s inconsistent musical utilizing the band’s canon, Across the Universe. When you mess with the Beatles, you mess with history. Here’s hoping Zemeckis understands that before putting the supercomputer to the ultimate super-group.

—Bill Gibron
« Last Edit: January 13, 2010, 08:12:04 AM by Bobber »
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Yellow Submarine Remake??
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 04:27:30 PM »

I'm not upset about the idea, just confused. why remake it? Why not do something new?
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2009, 12:25:10 AM »

^ it's like almost all of these movies coming out anymore.  They already have a fan base that they can count on.

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

LSD

• Getting Better
  • My lovely George
Yellow Submarine remake.
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2009, 04:49:04 PM »

Not sure if this has been posted earlier but I was watching G4 and I heard that Disney bought the rights and are re-making Yellow submarine. Its expected to be released in the summer of 2012.

http://movies.about.com/b/2009/08/20/yellow-submarine-remake.htm
I Me Mine.

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
Re: Yellow Submarine remake.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2009, 04:52:10 PM »

I hope they don't completely change it, that would be sad.

I hope they keep the same plot and the drawings are so cool and have that awesome 60's vibe.

"Ringo will always be my friend"--George Harrison (Rolling Stone Magazine 1987)

LSD

• Getting Better
  • My lovely George
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2009, 04:59:13 PM »

I agree. Im not sure if im excited yet. I mean why change it is already awesome. But Im open to it for now. hehe.
I Me Mine.

breedofrandy

• A Thousand Pages
  • Ringo Love <3
    • Me Tumblr Blog
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2009, 05:07:57 PM »

I agree. Im not sure if im excited yet. I mean why change it is already awesome. But Im open to it for now. hehe.

yah we'll see what happens!

"Ringo will always be my friend"--George Harrison (Rolling Stone Magazine 1987)

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2009, 05:55:00 PM »

I don't think I like this.  :-\

I will wait to form any final opinions though. Zemeckis is pretty good at what he does. There are some things that just shouldn't be fiddled with, in my opinion this is one of them.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 12:25:52 AM »

people are running out of ideas... ::)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 04:25:54 AM »

I wish they would do a computer animated Beatles movie where they actually LOOK like the Beatles. And of course used their music. Yellow Submarine's been done. And done perfectly. Remaking it seems silly.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 05:31:34 AM »

Why Disney? Disney's been in the crapper for most of the decade.

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 09:57:20 AM »

Doesnt bother me tbh, end of the day its not replacing the original so if it isn't very good you can always go back to the original and never watch the remake again.

If they had said they were remaking it and banishing the original then i could understand why people are going off on one about it.

Casbah

• A Beginning
Yellow Submarine Remake?
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 07:41:34 PM »

Sacha Howells,  Aug 21, 2009

"We All Live in a Yellow Submarine . . . Some More"
Disney and director Robert Zemeckis of Forrest Gump and Cast Away (and, don't forget, the pain-terrible Polar Express) have been piecing together a deal to remake the animated Beatles classic, using, and I quote, "cutting-edge 3-D feature technology." Because as Jaws 3-D proved once and for all, putting something in fake three dimensions instantly makes it better.
Verdict: Fine, the Beatles only showed up at the end of the movie, and yes, they didn't even do their own voiceovers. But why run yet another iconic movie through the craptastic meatgrinder? (Brought to you by the people behind The Sixth Sense 2: This Other Guy Is Also Dead and Bible: The Extended Dance Mix.)

http://www.film.com/features/story/verdict-yellow-submarine-remake-why/29787923
"Someone told me a few minutes ago they saw John walking on the street once wearing a button saying "I Love Paul." And this girl said she asked him, "Why are you wearing a button that says ' I Love Paul'? He said "Because I love Paul."

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 05:07:07 PM »

^That's hilarious!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 10:25:44 PM »

Oh I'll bet $100 bucks they'll change it! They change everything, even classics. I know some people might not be upset by this but I am. I'm livid!

While they're at why not remake A Hard Days Night or Help! Or hey, let's just remake Let It Be too!

This whole turning the greatest band of all time into a fad is seriously sickening to me. It's like "the cool thing" to be a Beatle fan now. Honestly, it's like I'm getting p*ssed calling myself a Beatle fan when people's first reactions now are like Beatles Rockband doh do doh. I'm going to scream!!!!!!!!!!!!

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

I am the Paulrus

• Getting Better
    • FAB 4 FORUM
Animation for the "Yellow Submarine" remake
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 05:02:56 PM »

Animation for the "Yellow Submarine" remake

I don't know how The Beatles will look in the YS remake. Will they 3 be portrayed in 3D computer FX of themselves from the 1968 version ala "Toy Story"? I would rather see them animated as they appear in the "Rock Band" game.

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
Re: Animation for the "Yellow Submarine" remake
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2009, 08:03:22 PM »

I wouldn't mind the RB animation either. I am mostly scared how their voices will be like  :o

If they make a terrible remake I will crawl up in a ball and hide!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2009, 08:12:26 PM »

I keep having dreams about this remake. Apparently, my subconscious isn't liking the idea very much.

Euan Buchan

• A Thousand Pages
    • The Edinburgh Birdwatcher
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2009, 10:46:25 AM »

It's going to be weird I'd prefer it if it was the orginal but in 3D heres more news on it

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/8253104.stm

Boakile09

• One And One Is Two
    • yjg
Yellow Submarine Remake
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2009, 06:39:07 AM »

there is 13 friday the 13ths...or at least i think so. not sure if that includes jason v freddy though, which was a pretty fun movie to watch.

this one is a remake, although its technically a remake of the first 3 of the friday 13th movies put together to make a new "beginning and explenation".  from what ive seen it looks good and the reviews seem to be ok.

couple of things youd notice straight from the trailer is that he is wearing the hockey mask...jason doesnt do this until the 3rd 13th movie...he also doesnt kill anybody in the first movie, its all his mum.  damn, without watchin the trailer i cant remember the others.

meh, guess youll have to research for yourself. if you really give that much of a sh*t.

went see the remake of my bloody valantine on saturday, the 3d version. was good and some of the 3d sections were truly amazing. think we had the worst seats in the house for enjoying these though, too close to the screen.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.393 seconds with 96 queries.