Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: "Nobody Told Me" - too polished to be a demo?  (Read 8272 times)

BlueMeanie

Re: "Nobody Told Me" - too polished to be a demo?
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2009, 10:53:18 AM »

Just found this in the Times:

The problem is that by dying young, and going the way he did, Lennon removed himself from all criticism. No matter that much of his solo work was poor. His last album, Double Fantasy, was a bit of a stiff until its success was ensured by his becoming one too. The godawful Imagine stopped being something Lennon might have nightmares about after too much cheese and became an anthem, voted the finest song in pop music, ever, if you didn

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2009, 10:55:16 AM »

Quote from: 483

I remember DF being sympathetically received at the time, though you could read between the lines. Too much Yoko. At least Paul kept Linda further in the background, even if she was in his band.

The Elvis thing never ceases to amaze me. People seem to forget that 99% of his output was total pants.

Though it means nowt, I remember a review of the time saying Yoko's input was far more now and relevant than anything of John's. I don't blame Yoko for DF being so dissapointing. John's contributions are mediocre at best. Next time in the newspapere library I'm going to dig out some pre-Dec 8 reviews to see waht people thought of it before they all went insane.
I think you'd need a psychology degree to understand the Elvis thing. I was going to say the connection goes deeper than the music, but his fans seem to have a genuine affection for his work. And he does have a mighty voice.
don't follow leaders

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2009, 11:41:10 AM »

I remember DF being sympathetically received at the time, though you could read between the lines. Too much Yoko. At least Paul kept Linda further in the background, even if she was in his band.

The Elvis thing never ceases to amaze me. People seem to forget that 99% of his output was total pants.
But how do you really feel about it?  :)

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2009, 01:15:37 PM »

I'm amazed this mediocre song has managed 3 pages of posts!

Not like it's "The Present" thread, or anything!  :)

I do remember being horribly disappointed in Double Fantasy' s radio plays at the time ("Woman" made me gag, seemed like it was aimed right from the get go at the elevator riding crowd market). I did like the vibe of "Watching the Wheels", but from what I'd heard off the rest of the album, even that wasn't enough to make me buy the album after John died. Especially with Yoko on the cover, bleahhh!

I kind of like this song ("Nobody Told Me"). It's got nice word play to make his point (which I imagine to be that he's kind of sitting back and watching everyone run around doing their chicken dances through life, understanding - even if they don't - that it all won't really amount to much of anything in the end - along the lines of "Watching the Wheels", or even "Nowhere Man" and "Fool on the Hill").

He's done lots worse IMO!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2009, 06:59:30 PM »

Just found this in the Times:

The problem is that by dying young, and going the way he did, Lennon removed himself from all criticism. No matter that much of his solo work was poor. His last album, Double Fantasy, was a bit of a stiff until its success was ensured by his becoming one too. The godawful Imagine stopped being something Lennon might have nightmares about after too much cheese and became an anthem, voted the finest song in pop music, ever, if you didn

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #45 on: March 14, 2009, 07:08:53 PM »

Double Fantasy does get a lot of flack and hell, it deserves it. In hindsight though, I believe if you scrap off Yoko's garbage and add John's 'Milk And Honey' songs, it becomes the best album he's ever done.

Purely my opinion though.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2009, 06:32:55 PM »

I would throw Yoko out of the album. This experiment with adding her songs to John`s was a failure. John was into experimenting with letting Yoko sing, and unfortunately Paul followed him with letting Linda play.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2009, 08:51:51 PM »

Quote from: 1393
I would throw Yoko out of the album. This experiment with adding her songs to John`s was a failure. John was into experimenting with letting Yoko sing, and unfortunately Paul followed him with letting Linda play.

Pauls experiment was never quite so disasterous though.

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2009, 05:05:43 PM »

I agree, but I remember listening to Wings in the '70s and just cringing when she sang harmony.

I never could tell if she was flat/off-key, or if it was just the quality of her voice.

"Cook of the House" off "Speed of Sound" seems to stick out in my memory, but it has been a while ...
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2009, 05:25:13 PM »

Quote from: 568
I agree, but I remember listening to Wings in the '70s and just cringing when she sang harmony.

I never could tell if she was flat/off-key, or if it was just the quality of her voice.

"Cook of the House" off "Speed of Sound" seems to stick out in my memory, but it has been a while ...

tAAYIWa_HN4

d5sybEeyDZ8

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2009, 12:36:36 PM »

Yes, the whole John & Yoko and Paul & Linda thing is silly. And Paul seems more at fault for copying John, and at least Yoko had some credentials in her chosen field.
don't follow leaders

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2009, 01:10:25 PM »

Quote from: 682

tAAYIWa_HN4

d5sybEeyDZ8

Hey Jimmy, thanks for posting those! Now, I won't have to sneak a listen to that song on "Wings at the Speed of Sound" to see if it was actually better than I remembered it!  ;)
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 68 queries.