Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Paul's albums  (Read 17546 times)

nimrod

Re: Paul's albums
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2014, 11:36:39 PM »

Ahh just realised

after the words 'ease the pain'

Im expecting to hear 'Cos you make me feel, you make me feel like a natural woman'....

ha2ha

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2014, 11:44:18 PM »

Yep seems like Paul wanted to rewrite a classic on that one. The chorus at least departs from any obvious cribbing.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 02:35:46 AM »

Some of the songs on the Flaming Pie album were recorded during a difficult time for the McCartneys.
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 12:11:34 PM »

I really like Tug of war. I like Press to Play as well. I don't care if Paul doesn't like it it's got some different stuff there.

I like 'Press To Play' too. 'Stranglehold' always makes it on my Macca compilations. 'Pipes Of Peace' on the other hand is probably my 2nd most hated Macca album behind 'McCartney 2'. I can't stand it.

Badgirl66

• A Thousand Pages
    • My Hometown
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2014, 03:08:33 PM »

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltGQuiFPbN4" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltGQuiFPbN4</a>

nimrod

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 12:05:22 AM »

I must say Im enjoying Flaming Pie, its very familiar with me now

My favourite track is Young Boy, it sounds like a Beatle song to me except the harmonies don't sound like Lennon or Harrison. Its a great song though, it puts me in mind of Handle With Care with the rhythm and general feel of the song, I don't really care for the refrain, the repeated  'find love....find love....' a bit too sugary and poppy that particular bit, but I like the verses, George's song wins out for me though.

Used to be bad sounds more like a Steve Miller song than a McCartney song to me, just a jam sort of song really over a groove/riff.

Nice song about Lennon and him, The Song We Were Singing, nothing spectacular but decent. (I like its in Waltz time)

Little Willow could've been on the White Album I guess, I read its about Maureen Starkey who had recently died, its very touching, well crafted.

Im not keen on the title track or the one he wrote with Ringo ...'Really Love You' or 'If You Wanna'

The World Tonight is interesting in that if it had sort of ELO orchestrations it would sound like an ELO song, maybe Paul used Jeff Lynne because he helped George create a good sounding record with Cloud Nine which became a hit and one of his better albums. Anyway I can imagine Jeff singing this with all the ELO bits added. (slurpy cello's and violins)

Somedays, yes, a great song not much to say about it, just a great McCartney Ballad, not keen on George Martins stuff on there though, maybe its just me but Id have preferred more acoustic guitar than orchestrations, a touching poignant song about Linda who didn't have long at that stage.

KelMar

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2014, 04:47:19 AM »

Little Willow could've been on the White Album I guess, I read its about Maureen Starkey who had recently died, its very touching, well crafted.

That song really gets to me. When I first heard it it just seemed to address something I was going through at the time and I listened to it a lot for a while. It's a great song.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 09:41:23 AM »

That song really gets to me. When I first heard it it just seemed to address something I was going through at the time and I listened to it a lot for a while. It's a great song.

It's one that can make this old cynic mist up.

I think Little Willow is one that shows why John might appreciate some of Paul's later work. Paul is using real experience in his songs more regularly than he did back in the Beatle era.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2014, 09:48:07 AM »

Im not keen on the title track or the one he wrote with Ringo ...'Really Love You' or 'If You Wanna'

I don't mind the song Flaming Pie as a silly rave up type. Harmless fun. The ones Used to Be Bad, If You Wanna and Really Love You all pass me by. Not bad as filler but nothing great.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2014, 11:53:19 AM »

I think 'Off The Ground' is his most underrated album ever. I'll never know why it gets panned like it does.

I liked it when it came out, oddly haven't heard much from it in a long time other than Biker Like an Icon.  Will pull it out and listen.  Thanks for the reminder.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2014, 05:39:08 PM »

The World Tonight is interesting in that if it had sort of ELO orchestrations it would sound like an ELO song, maybe Paul used Jeff Lynne because he helped George create a good sounding record with Cloud Nine which became a hit and one of his better albums. Anyway I can imagine Jeff singing this with all the ELO bits added. (slurpy cello's and violins)

Probably my 2nd favorite off of the record. Love the ending where it kicks in and jams a little. I had a friend at work that really got into music and asked if I had 'Flaming Pie' just for that song. I asked her where she heard it before and she said she didn't remember but loved the song. That surprised me.

Somedays, yes, a great song not much to say about it, just a great McCartney Ballad, not keen on George Martins stuff on there though, maybe its just me but Id have preferred more acoustic guitar than orchestrations, a touching poignant song about Linda who didn't have long at that stage.

We disagree a bit with this one. I love Martins hand in this song. There's just about every kind of instrument played at one time or another and I love it (especially the french horn part).

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2014, 05:41:51 PM »

I liked it when it came out, oddly haven't heard much from it in a long time other than Biker Like an Icon.  Will pull it out and listen.  Thanks for the reminder.

Yeah I don't listen to it very often either (well I don't listen to very much Beatles related stuff anymore anyhow) but when I throw it on, it seems pretty solid throughout to me. Nothing earth shattering on the album, but nothing bad either. Just a pretty decent record from start to finish in my opinion.

nimrod

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2014, 11:35:03 AM »

Ive been listening to Off The Ground this last couple of days, I agree with Todd its quite a good album, I absolutely love Golden earth Girl, cant stop humming it actually, also very fond of Wine Dark Open Sea and I Owe It All To You (although I dont like the echo on his voice on this one)

Its great to find these gems, I much prefer these albums Ive heard up to now than the Wings stuff, which Im not fond off

Theres a couple of fillers but overall Im enjoying thsi record.

I could make a great album with this and Flaming Pie

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2014, 08:49:06 AM »

Ive been listening to Off The Ground this last couple of days, I agree with Todd its quite a good album, I absolutely love Golden earth Girl, cant stop humming it actually, also very fond of Wine Dark Open Sea and I Owe It All To You (although I dont like the echo on his voice on this one)

Its great to find these gems, I much prefer these albums Ive heard up to now than the Wings stuff, which Im not fond off

Theres a couple of fillers but overall Im enjoying thsi record.

I could make a great album with this and Flaming Pie

I'm going to have to give Off the Ground another listen.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2014, 08:59:32 AM »

No ones putting forward Flowers in the Dirt as a fav. I've not listened to the whole album but it seems to be one that gets a lot of good critical press. More so than it's follow up Off the Ground.

Anyone like it?

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2014, 10:31:13 AM »

No ones putting forward Flowers in the Dirt as a fav. I've not listened to the whole album but it seems to be one that gets a lot of good critical press. More so than it's follow up Off the Ground.

Anyone like it?

Fantastic album for me, enjoy it top to bottom.  The collab with Elvis works and the songs resonated with me when it came out.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2014, 12:59:02 PM »

Anyone like it?

Its never been a favorite of mine. Its only OK in my book. The two singles off of it are kind of bland ('Figure Of Eight' & 'My Brave Face'), while the rest never moved me much except for 'Put It There'. Funny how the simplest song on the album is the one I like the most.

Bobber

« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2014, 01:27:28 PM »

Funny how the simplest song on the album is the one I like the most.

Is that a rule?

nimrod

« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2014, 01:29:30 PM »

Anyone like it?

I havent got to that yet   ???
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Page created in 0.863 seconds with 80 queries.