Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Beatles’ Original Manager Still Loses Sleep Over Selling Their Contract  (Read 2230 times)

peregrine9

• A Thousand Pages

Ultimate Classic Rock
October 24, 2011
The Beatles’ Original Manager Still Loses Sleep Over Selling Their Contract

The head of Decca Records famously rejected the Beatles in 1962, telling manager Brian Epstein that “guitar groups are on the way out.” But he wasn’t the only one who missed out on a chance to be a part of the band’s astonishing success. That list includes the Beatles’ original manager, Alan Williams, who sold his contract to Epstein for the modern-day equivalent of $400 — a decision that he says still haunts him. “I still lose sleep over it 50 years later. No one could have guessed the Beatles would become so famous,” Williams told the Daily Record during a recent interview. “At that time there were 300 groups in Liverpool, who were as good or better.”

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/the-beatles-original-manager-still-loses-sleep-over-selling-their-contract/
Life is what happens when your busy making other plans. John Lennon

Bobber

I don't believe there was ever a contract between Williams and The Beatles. And he could have known he had something in his hands by the time they split up.

peterbell1

• Getting Better

It's a moot point, really, since it's quite possible that The Beatles may not have had that "astonishing success" had Alan Williams remained as manager.
Epstein was a key part of their development and things like putting them in suits and refining their stage act made them more attractive to a wider audience.
I suppose that without Epstein The Beatles would still have had enough about them to have secured a record deal, but maybe with Williams as manager they wouldn't have become the global phenomenon that they did. He wasn't astute enough to hang onto them in the first place, so why would he be any more astute if he HAD stayed on as manager?

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector

It's a moot point, really, since it's quite possible that The Beatles may not have had that "astonishing success" had Alan Williams remained as manager.
Epstein was a key part of their development and things like putting them in suits and refining their stage act made them more attractive to a wider audience.
I suppose that without Epstein The Beatles would still have had enough about them to have secured a record deal, but maybe with Williams as manager they wouldn't have become the global phenomenon that they did. He wasn't astute enough to hang onto them in the first place, so why would he be any more astute if he HAD stayed on as manager?

+1....

Also, I think Allan Williams is a bit shady. Paul doesn't have much respect for him either. He is just upset because he knows he missed out.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

Toejam

• A Beginning

I suppose that without Epstein The Beatles would still have had enough about them to have secured a record deal

I don't know about that. Obvioulsy they did but would the record co. have actually signed them? We know that they didn't and it was pretty much last chance saloon that G.Martin took them on a Parlaphone. What would have happened if he hadn't have done that? They'd have probably just dissolved and maybe never to be heard of again. John would probably still be alive now as just another ordirnary  old man in Liverpool. Kinda spooky to think that could have happened  and people could actually have gone to Liverpool for some reason and met him and not given it a second thought.
IMAGINE ALL THE PEEPLE

Bobber

Paul doesn't have much respect for him either. He is just upset because he knows he missed out.

Paul's comment when Williams' book 'The Man Who Sold The Beatles' came out: "Nice book Alan. Some of it is even true."

peterbell1

• Getting Better

Paul's comment when Williams' book 'The Man Who Sold The Beatles' came out: "Nice book Alan. Some of it is even true."

;D

nimrod

Id lose sleep too  4ac

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior

I bet that is one decision that will haunt Alan Williams for the rest of his life.     

Bobber

I bet that is one decision that will haunt Alan Williams for the rest of his life.     

If Allan really has the capability to self reflect, he would know that The Beatles wouldn't have made it this big with him as their manager.

BeatlesForever

• A Thousand Pages
  • The Rock n' Roll Warrior

If Allan really has the capability to self reflect, he would know that The Beatles wouldn't have made it this big with him as their manager.

Very true Bobber!

Page created in 0.449 seconds with 57 queries.