Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Paul's albums  (Read 17539 times)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Paul's albums
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2014, 09:59:46 PM »

I like Flowers in the Dirt! I think Figure Of Eight could easily be a Beatles hit!  Good album all around. I have it on cassette and don't listen to them anymore. :-[
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2014, 10:16:23 PM »

FitD seems to be getting some good wraps. I have some long trips coming up so looks like it and Off the ground might be added to my iPhone for listening.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2014, 11:51:26 PM »

Is that a rule?

Not usually, but it sure is for that album.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2014, 11:54:41 PM »

I have 3 CD copies of 'Flowers In The Dirt' and have no idea how I've accumulated them.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #44 on: July 03, 2014, 12:08:38 AM »

I absolutely love "My Brave Face" - very refreshing and bounces along like an early Lennon/McCartney Beatles number. Costello is obviously no match for Lennon but he certainly helped McCartney raise his game.

Some nice stuff on "Flowers In The Dirt". The above plus "Figure Of Eight", "This One" and "Put It There" stand out for me.

Quite a Beatley feel to the album which is no bad thing!  ;)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #45 on: July 03, 2014, 11:59:06 AM »

I have 3 CD copies of 'Flowers In The Dirt' and have no idea how I've accumulated them.
Your shopping habits must be like Dejavu all over again! ;D
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2014, 11:30:09 PM »

Your shopping habits must be like Dejavu all over again! ;D

I swear that I can only remember ever buying just one copy though. The other two remain a mystery. I must have snatched them from other peoples collection during a drunken stupor thinking they were mine or something. Its not like 'Flowers In The Dirt' is a great party CD though. I may never know.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #47 on: July 03, 2014, 11:33:06 PM »

I just looked today and have two copies of 'Driving Rain' also.

Heaven forbid there be multiple copies of his good albums.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2014, 11:48:06 PM »

I really like Tug of war. I like Press to Play as well. I don't care if Paul doesn't like it it's got some different stuff there.

I was giving Tug of War another listen. It was a favourite of mine at the time. While the Stevie Wonder colabs are major downsides I'd have to rate the title track, Take it Away, The Pound is Sinking and Wanderlust right up there with the best of McCartney's solo stuff. Of the remaining songs only Dress me up as a Robber would I completely skip.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2014, 11:53:23 PM »

My favourite track is Young Boy, it sounds like a Beatle song to me except the harmonies don't sound like Lennon or Harrison.

I've never liked Paul's post Beatle harmony sound. There's something too clinical and bland about them.

nimrod

« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2014, 11:58:01 PM »

I've never liked Paul's post Beatle harmony sound. There's something too clinical and bland about them.

Yeah agreed, a lot of good songs on these solo albums but let down by the harmonies, not my cup o tea

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2014, 12:54:37 AM »

I just looked today and have two copies of 'Driving Rain' also.

Heaven forbid there be multiple copies of his good albums.

I've just realised I have four CD copies and two vinyl copies of "Band On The Run" (all differently packaged re-masters/re-issues or whatever but still the same album for God's sake!!!)

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2014, 01:07:39 AM »

I was giving Tug of War another listen. It was a favourite of mine at the time. While the Stevie Wonder colabs are major downsides I'd have to rate the title track, Take it Away, The Pound is Sinking and Wanderlust right up there with the best of McCartney's solo stuff. Of the remaining songs only Dress me up as a Robber would I completely skip.

Apart from "Ebony And Ivory" I'd find it difficult to skip anything on "Tug Of War", Paul's best solo album in my opinion. "Dress Me Up As A Robber" is the second best song on the album for me (only bettered by the truly superb "Take It Away"). "Somebody Who Cares", "Ballroom Dancing" and "The Pound Is Sinking" are my other favourites.

I've always felt "Wanderlust" has a very "Back To The Egg" feel to it. Always reminds me of "Winter Rose/Love Awake".

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2014, 01:39:50 AM »

Quote from: Mr Mustard link=topic=15993.msg31 ;)4166#msg314166 date=1405300059
Apart from "Ebony And Ivory" I'd find it difficult to skip anything on "Tug Of War", Paul's best solo album in my opinion. "Dress Me Up As A Robber" is the second best song on the album for me (only bettered by the truly superb "Take It Away"). "Somebody Who Cares", "Ballroom Dancing" and "The Pound Is Sinking" are my other favourites.

I've always felt "Wanderlust" has a very "Back To The Egg" feel to it. Always reminds me of "Winter Rose/Love Awake".

It is a very good album and yes has claims to being his best. It has  a great balance between rockier songs, medium paced  tunes and ballads. And aside from E&I there's no complete clunkers. Dress Me Up just isn't my thing. It sounds like some disco/Latin pop pastiche.  What's That You're Doing is no way as bad as E&I.  But it also doesn't grab me.

The rest ranges from good to excellent .

Wanderlust is basically a good power ballad but I find the quodlibet (thanks to HG I know what to call it now  ;)) elevates it.

And Here Today is a touching ballad that Paul does so well.

The album benefits from having George Martin producing. Again showing Paul is at his best with a strong collaborator or producer.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2014, 02:39:47 AM »

I feel practically the same way (except for the best solo album part). There's nothing here to skip except for the dismal 'Ebony and Ivory'. I love 'Dress Me Up As A Robber Too'. Especially the guitar solo. I'm not a huge fan of 'Whats That Your Doing', but its doable. 'The Pound Is Sinking' has always been my favorite.

nimrod

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2014, 03:35:33 AM »

Ok

I have now finished listening to all his solo and Wings albums, Ive digested each for a week or so so its taken a while and Ive decided on my favourites;

1) McCartney

2) Flaming Pie

3) Chaos & Creation

4) Off The Ground

5) Tug Of War

6) Band On The Run

There are of course individual tracks on others that I admire but these are my favourites (in that order), for me his (kitchen sink) first solo album was his best, a truly wonderful album

Its funny that in my opinion none of them surpassed theyre first solo effort (Its just an opinion remember)  ;D

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2014, 04:31:44 AM »

Those are great choices.  I would replace McCartney with RAM, but we've been over that before.  Flaming Pie would be my 2nd choice too.  Glad you enjoy C&C, but I think I'm happiest to see Off The Ground mentioned.  I feel its his most underrated album.

Good stuff Kev.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2014, 06:16:55 AM »

'McCartney' is far and away my favourite Paul LP and, whisper it, the only one I kept on CD after a clear-out this summer. If it had been made by an unknown singer-songwriter on Harvest, Island or Dawn it would now be worth a small fortune.

Ironically, 'Maybe I'm Amazed', often the only thing said in its favour, doesn't really fit in with the general vibe of the other tracks.
I've always thought that it would have worked better as a stand-alone single, but then that probably would have irked the other Beatles even more as it would presumably have been competing with the 'Let It Be' 45!

nimrod

« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2014, 09:27:57 AM »

Those are great choices.  I would replace McCartney with RAM, but we've been over that before.  Flaming Pie would be my 2nd choice too.  Glad you enjoy C&C, but I think I'm happiest to see Off The Ground mentioned.  I feel its his most underrated album.

Good stuff Kev.

Off The Ground nearly came higher Todd

Golden earth Girl, Cmon People, I Owe It All To You & Wine Dark Open Sea are truly wonderful songs imo

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2014, 09:52:28 AM »

Ok

I have now finished listening to all his solo and Wings albums, Ive digested each for a week or so so its taken a while and Ive decided on my favourites;

1) McCartney

2) Flaming Pie

3) Chaos & Creation

4) Off The Ground

5) Tug Of War

6) Band On The Run

There are of course individual tracks on others that I admire but these are my favourites (in that order), for me his (kitchen sink) first solo album was his best, a truly wonderful album

Its funny that in my opinion none of them surpassed theyre first solo effort (Its just an opinion remember)  ;D

Yeah some fine choices there Kev - I'm glad you seem to have opened up a bit to Macca's post Beatles stuff at last!  ;)

Like Todd I think there should've been room for "Ram" but hey it's all down to personal tastes of course. I am rather intrigued as to the lack of Wings on there though. What is it about them you can't take to? Just curious!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 1.074 seconds with 78 queries.