Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Beatle Emulation Experiment  (Read 2100 times)

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
Beatle Emulation Experiment
« on: May 18, 2008, 12:15:35 AM »

I have just finished reading "Recording The Beatles" and have setup my DAW practically the way the REDD 51 desk runs, from "Pop" EQ plus "Presence Box" a poor man's Altec (EMI TG Compressor plugin) and a Fairchild Limiter. I also will be running a tape emulation as well. Unfortunately I'm not a musician, nor do I have esoteric microphones either, (do have Antares Mic Modeler). Would someone like to provide me with seperate tracks e.g. one for bass,one for drums, not a whole mix. Vocals are welcome as well, as I'd like to try out my ADT setup. Sorry that I can't go in depth on where to mic instruments like The Beatles as I'm too lazy. I want see how my Beatle emulation sounds. Please record dry, no eq or compression or limiting. Reverb is okay if you wish, or I can apply my own. You can have as many tracks as you like, via four to four reduction, just as long as they are single separate tracks. My only problem is re uploading your song once I'm done. I've have many tube emulations from Blue Tubes to Colortone Pro. I also have some VST instruments like Hofner & Rickenbacker Basses, a ton of organs from Pianos to Mellotrons. I just want to see if I can emulate the "Beatles" sound. Heres a few tips for drums, from about 66 onward, Ringo's snare drum mic was placed UNDER his snare drum. From about 67 onward a large sweater with weights was placed inside the kick drum and tea towels placed on the other drums as well.
Email me your tracks if you wish. I really must stress NO WHOLE mixes. It must be seperate, one just for vocals, one just for bass,etc. I really prefer the 66 to 67 Beatles, but it doesn't have to be a Beatlesque song, just if you wanted your song to sound like it was recorded at EMI Abbey Road circa 65-67. I know this is not the REAL thing, thats why its an experiment. Please don't whine to me about how tape plugins will never compare to the actual thing, I've heard all before. I'm sure all of you who are privy to vintage equipment may scoff, but I'm not a billionare, and this is just an experiment using digital software emulations of tube gear and what not. Its just for fun NOT "I'M GOING TO BEAT THE BEATLES AT THEIR OWN GAME,HAHAHAH!!!! I CAN DO IT SOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!
THIS IS GREATER THAN THE REAL MCCOY!!!" I'm very aware of digital limitations, I my self am a Analogue guy, I have vinyl and eight tracks, I don't like digital. Back to Mono I say. So if your feeling creative, drop me a line. 8)
P.S. If all else fails, it might come out like Jeff Lyne than George Martin! :P
&quot;No one around you will love you today and throw it all away...&quot;<br />&quot;Nothing is real...&quot;<br />&quot;Its all in the mind...&quot;<br />&quot;And life flows on within you and w
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Beatle Emulation Experiment
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 12:55:46 AM »

Quote from: 1309
I have just finished reading "Recording The Beatles" and have setup my DAW practically the way the REDD 51 desk runs, from "Pop" EQ plus "Presence Box" a poor man's Altec (EMI TG Compressor plugin) and a Fairchild Limiter. I also will be running a tape emulation as well. Unfortunately I'm not a musician, nor do I have esoteric microphones either, (do have Antares Mic Modeler). Would someone like to provide me with seperate tracks e.g. one for bass,one for drums, not a whole mix. Vocals are welcome as well, as I'd like to try out my ADT setup. Sorry that I can't go in depth on where to mic instruments like The Beatles as I'm too lazy. I want see how my Beatle emulation sounds. Please record dry, no eq or compression or limiting. Reverb is okay if you wish, or I can apply my own. You can have as many tracks as you like, via four to four reduction, just as long as they are single separate tracks. My only problem is re uploading your song once I'm done. I've have many tube emulations from Blue Tubes to Colortone Pro. I also have some VST instruments like Hofner & Rickenbacker Basses, a ton of organs from Pianos to Mellotrons. I just want to see if I can emulate the "Beatles" sound. Heres a few tips for drums, from about 66 onward, Ringo's snare drum mic was placed UNDER his snare drum. From about 67 onward a large sweater with weights was placed inside the kick drum and tea towels placed on the other drums as well.
Email me your tracks if you wish. I really must stress NO WHOLE mixes. It must be seperate, one just for vocals, one just for bass,etc. I really prefer the 66 to 67 Beatles, but it doesn't have to be a Beatlesque song, just if you wanted your song to sound like it was recorded at EMI Abbey Road circa 65-67. I know this is not the REAL thing, thats why its an experiment. Please don't whine to me about how tape plugins will never compare to the actual thing, I've heard all before. I'm sure all of you who are privy to vintage equipment may scoff, but I'm not a billionare, and this is just an experiment using digital software emulations of tube gear and what not. Its just for fun NOT "I'M GOING TO BEAT THE BEATLES AT THEIR OWN GAME,HAHAHAH!!!! I CAN DO IT SOOOO MUCH BETTER!!!
THIS IS GREATER THAN THE REAL MCCOY!!!" I'm very aware of digital limitations, I my self am a Analogue guy, I have vinyl and eight tracks, I don't like digital. Back to Mono I say. So if your feeling creative, drop me a line. 8)
P.S. If all else fails, it might come out like Jeff Lyne than George Martin! :P

Dude - this is what you want, I believe. Raw tracks, including vox, for you to mix as you see fit. Have fun, and post back here with before and after!
http://raw-tracks.com/v-web/portal/cms/index.php
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 02:31:20 AM »

Ah yes, this is quite close, thanks, I will see what I can come up with!
&quot;No one around you will love you today and throw it all away...&quot;<br />&quot;Nothing is real...&quot;<br />&quot;Its all in the mind...&quot;<br />&quot;And life flows on within you and w

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 02:36:04 AM »

Sounds exciting, I look forward to your progress. ;)
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 06:07:18 PM »

I'm not very pleased with my results, but I'm my own worst critic too. I only used their 30 sec demo because I'm a cheapskate. The first track is untouched, its from the song titled 'Jamie", I also removed the 2 heavy metal guitars because it didn't suit my needs. No nothing, just plain unmixed or EQ or anything, I believe though that the track was pre compressed which made it alittle more difficult to use my own compression. Here is the unmixed track link
http://www.box.net/shared/cbicpgv0gw
It took some time to get a decent sound, as this group is more 90's indie than 60's pop/rock.
It just goes to show that gear can only do so much, most of the magic is in the music. I put a leslie
on one guitar, and a long tape echo on the other. I tried to ADT the vocals, but you can't really tell it.
I did do a mix with reverb, but I ended up overdoing it and it came out more Phil Spector than Beatles.
It was fun to do though, it really eliminated my formula plan, but don't worry, I still used the vintage emulations,
and I followed the guidlines in RTB Book. To my ears, the mix comes out sounding more "old school" than "OMG ITS
THE BEATLES AAAAHHHHHH!!!!". Which I knew better anyways. For best results use headphones or good speakers, as
the ones on this pc I use for internet has monitor speakers that have no presence at all, everything sounds tiny and sharp. If I were dealing with more Beatle inspired sounds or folks, the results may have been better. My biggest worrry
was that people would say, "I like the first one better." But hey, its just VST plugins, not esoteric Abbey Road gear.
I also ADT'd the Acoustic Guitar as well, I thought it made sound more like a 12 string. And the drum kit was not mic'd like
Ringo's. If I do something better I'll be sure to show you all, heres the Beatlesque link
http://www.box.net/shared/pmt5bdk4k0
P.S. I also did a extended mix, adding mellotrons and a tamboura and tape loops and a backwards segment,
but I felt people would get annoyed at it. If you request it I'll post it. :X

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 11:17:19 PM »

You seem to have controlled the kit and got the vocals nicely above it. If it sounds good, use it...digital or analogue....I freaked when i frirst discovered the antares mic modeller. Got onto the neumanns straight away. It even recognises what mic is being used as an input source to convert it into a 3000 pound mic. Too much digital can compress things a bit un-naturally, which is why it's nice to use analogue at some point in the process....Whatevers at hand at the end of the day. The Alesis monitor 1's are reasonably priced for the sound. ;)
 Awaiting a new macbook to make uploading a bit swifter...I'll try and sendf you some Beatle cover files I got.

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 02:18:09 AM »

Thanks much, your myspace music is quite good! Working with Beatle fans is much easier than a random song file, at least with real people I can converse to get what sound they want. I look foward to your cover files.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
    • The studio
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2008, 09:39:30 PM »

The I Got A feeling track on the beatles space has actually got ringo's drums from Abbey Rd sampled as triggers from our drummers kit. ;)
The other toons have been recorded on various formats including analogue reel 2 reel, digi 16 track and motu soundcards into lap-tops. As good as any studio that'll charge a packet for me. :)

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 12:45:41 AM »

Was going to star work on new track, but it sucked, none of the tracks were played in time.

Mellotroniac

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 06:05:15 PM »

Here's a recent experiment using a MIDI of the "Go Around" song played inside the windmill on the N64 game, LOZ:Ocarina Of Time. I also did a backwards verison cause it sounded neat too.
This is the dry song link
http://www.box.net/shared/5vwqfkb480
Here is the mixed link
http://www.box.net/shared/15u29hvcww
And here is the backwards version
http://www.box.net/shared/qab1spmgww

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 58 queries.