Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: OLD CODGERS THREAD  (Read 8702 times)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
OLD CODGERS THREAD
« on: April 06, 2007, 10:17:32 AM »

Best things about being a kid in the sixties:
-you could ride your bike everywhere.
-you weren't brought up to treat every stranger as a potential homocidal maniac.
-the local toughies were called Bodgies and wore white tee shirts and dark blue denim.
-I had a pair of Clarkes with animal prints on the sole and a secret compass in the heel. Cool.
-the butcher had sawdust on the floor and if you told him it was your birthday he gave you a savaloy.
- one penny of mixed lollies would make you sick.

Best TV:
Get Smart, Dr Who, Lost in Space, The Invaders, The Munsters, Star Trek, The Monkees, The Flinstones, Clutch Cargo, Gigantor, Kimber The White Lion, anything by Gerry Anderson.
Worst: The Black and White Minstrel Show (always on before The Disney Hour)

Best Movies: (mostly Saturday mornings, little more than an excuse for a riot.)
The Great Race, Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Dr Who, I Dream of Genie, My Favourite Martian.

Best Music:
Rolf Harris, The Monkees, The Partridge Family. (no - no Beatles)
don't follow leaders

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
Re: OLD CODGERS THREAD
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 11:09:42 AM »

no battling tops,no rock em, sock em robots........maybe later i will remember something.....

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
    • Alberts Continuing Storys
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 11:43:57 AM »

Worst thing about the old days
Outside toliet, ice inside your bedroom window in the winter,if you went to the fair on your own you risking being batttered by rival gangs
Best thing .
You could play football all day ,stay out late at night ,go to Old trafford every week without a worry of a ticket, go miles on your bike without no conjested roads,
t.v.
Dr who ,double deckers ,joe 90 ,captin scarlet ,thunderbirds,u.f.o ,magpie,stingray,catweasel.
music .
marc bolan ,top of the pops every week and the chart countdown every sunday on the radio to see what was number one .
fab gear
denim flares ,high heels tank tops and turn ups

happy days  :)
Wallflower Has Blossomed

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 11:57:48 AM »

At playtime two kids would link arms and walk around the playground  chanting  "Who wants to play cowboys and itchybums". If you wanted to play you joined in the chain. Everyone wanted to be The Lone Ranger or Hop Along Cassidy.
I'm ashamed to say we were constantly at war with "The Dummies" from the Special Class.  :B If they caught you they would all sit on you (they smelt funny.). If we got one of them we made them eat grass.
And marble season. Does that still happen?
don't follow leaders

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 12:32:53 PM »

^
                                       :D

We used to' borrow" lead from empty houses and the odd factory and go and weigh it in  ;)
And borrow ruhbarb and crab apples,and my favorites garden peas fresh from the pod from nearby allotments  ;)
Wallflower Has Blossomed

BlueMeanie

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 12:38:52 PM »

Quote from: 449
                                     ^
                                       :D

We used to' borrow" lead from empty houses and the odd factory and go and weigh it in  ;)
And borrow ruhbarb and crab apples,and my favorites garden peas fresh from the pod from nearby allotments  ;)

They eat peas straight from the pod over here. It's a Danish delicacy. Speaks volumes!

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 12:44:57 PM »

^ ha. I can remember sitting on the porch unpodding peas with my mum. Sounds like the f*cking Waltons.
Remember pressure cookers? I was convinced it was going to explode and refused to go in the kitchen when it was on. I likewise had a terrible fear of the washing machine with it's viscous looking mangle.
We used to have a spoonful of malt every night from a big jar in the cupboad.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 12:51:13 PM »

Quote from: 449
                                     ^

Kids stealing vegetables. How the world has changed.  ??)
don't follow leaders

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 12:52:06 PM »

Another northern delicacey[ <i  cant spell that can i] was Jam Butties , and my least favorite was Pea soup with half a dead pig in it  :P
Wallflower Has Blossomed

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2007, 01:03:12 PM »

My dad was a scouse, so we were into offal big time. Tripe (sheeps stomach) disturbed me. Dripping (fat) sandwhiches never caught on. Pigs feet mmmmmmmm. The only food I can really remember fighting for was fruit loaf and the near- death struggles with my brother for rights over the mixing bowl at the end of baking day.
don't follow leaders

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2007, 01:04:42 PM »

That bloody red stuff your mum would put on your cuts and scratches that burnt  like hell.
don't follow leaders

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 01:10:43 PM »

Tripe! oh god no never touched that.
Loved Blackpuddings though ,always had them saturday tea time for some reason , after the football results then settle down for Dr Who [yep i hid behind the settee] then the highligt of the night The Two Ronnies.  
Wallflower Has Blossomed

BlueMeanie

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2007, 04:14:37 PM »

This is apparently what old godgers do. Spend all Good Friday on the bloody internet! :'(

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2007, 05:17:14 PM »

Quote from: 483
This is apparently what old godgers do. Spend all Good Friday on the bloody internet! :'(
Don't be sad, Blue Meanie. Kids spend all their time on the Internet, too. You're just reconnecting with your inner child!  ;)

What a great thread. Early sixties memories from Minnesota:
- ONE pair of nice shoes
- ONE nice toy
- Absolutely, peas from the pod! We had a field out back, and used to go "grazing".
- "Packing water" for a long bike ride. We could be gone for hours.
- As a special treat, Dad would let us play the record player. We listened to the Smothers Brothers and Tom Lehrer and Bill Cosby, just rolling on the floor in tears.

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

mr kite

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2007, 06:44:03 PM »

I cant believe peas straight from the pod were popular the world over  ;D
Happy days :)

The Champions t.v. program how good was that ,alexandra bastido was my first love
Wallflower Has Blossomed

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 12:10:25 AM »

Quote from: 185
That bloody red stuff your mum would put on your cuts and scratches that burnt  like hell.

Mercurochrome or Merbromin (same thing). They got rid of it because it contained mercury althougn nobody died from using it.

That crap hurt worse than the initial cut.

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2007, 02:47:40 AM »

I used to watch some of the shows mentioned in reruns in the 70's!!!!!Thank God for  an older brothed who Loved The Beatles, The Animals, Dave Clark 5 , The Monkees, etc., We used to watch The Monkees show in reruns, also. ;)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2007, 05:07:24 AM »

School in 1973 vs 2006

Scenario: Jack pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack.

1973 - Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes to his car and gets his own rifle to show Jack.

2006 - School goes into lockdown, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fist fight after school.

1973 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up best friends. Nobody goes to jail, nobody arrested, nobody expelled.

2006 - Police called, SWAT team arrives, arrests Johnny and Mark. Charge them with assault, both expelled even though Johnny started it.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Jeffrey won't be still in class, disrupts other students.

1973 - Jeffrey sent to office and given a good paddling by Principal. Sits still in class.

2006 - Jeffrey given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. School gets extra money from state because Jeffrey has a disability.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his father's car and his Dad gives him a whipping.

1973 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.

2006 - Billy's Dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy removed to foster care and joins a gang. Billy's sister is told by state psychologist that she remembers being abused herself and their Dad goes to prison. Billy's Mom has affair with psychologist.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some headache medicine to school.

1973 - Mark shares headache medicine with Principal out on the smoking dock.

2006 - Police called, Mark expelled from school for drug violations. Car searched for drugs and weapons.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Pedro fails high school English.

1973: Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.

2006: Pedro's cause is taken up by state progressive political party. Newspaper articls appear nationally explaining that teaching English as a requirement for graduation is racist. ACLU files class action lawsuit against state school system and Pedro's English teacher. English banned from core curriculum. Pedro given diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he can't speak English.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover firecrackers from the 4th of July, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle, blows up a red ant bed.

1973 - Ants die.

2006 - BATF, Homeland Security, FBI called. Johnny charged with domestic terrorism, FBI investigates parents, siblings removed from home, computers confiscated, Johnny's Dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Scenario: Johnny falls while running during recess and scrapes his knee. He is found crying by his teacher, Mary. Mary hugs him to comfort him.

1973 - In a short time Johnny feels better and goes on playing.

2006 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces 3 years in State Prison.

All in the name of progress!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2007, 07:38:36 AM »

Ooo, that's a bit cynical isn't it? I don't think it's as bad as all that! But I see where you're coming from.

Love the blowing up the ant hill one. My brother blew up a few ant hills in his days. He used to burn them with his magnifying glass as well! So would they send a kid to therapy for that these days? For fear he'll grow up to be a serial killer? I actually wouldn't have minded my brother going for a few sessions. Maybe they're onto something these days! :P

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2007, 09:31:18 AM »

I never wrote that. I forgot to mention that I grabbed that from a different site.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 78 queries.