Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Record Shop Day on Saturday, 19th April  (Read 1130 times)

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Record Shop Day on Saturday, 19th April
« on: April 10, 2014, 05:19:43 PM »

What do people think of this annual event?

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Re: Record Shop Day on Saturday, 19th April
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 07:05:22 AM »

No one taking part in this?
It's not really my scene, I must say, with huge amounts of product (most of it dire pap) going straight on eBay, if they're not on there already.
Ironically, it's almost certainly the ONLY day of the year I won't be going into a record shop.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 07:49:27 AM »

No one taking part in this?
It's not really my scene, I must say, with huge amounts of product (most of it dire pap) going straight on eBay, if they're not on there already.
Ironically, it's almost certainly the ONLY day of the year I won't be going into a record shop.

I'm a bit like you Oldbrownshoe. I don't really need a special day to go to a record store. It'll bring out all the once a year crowd anyway. Lowers the tone.  ;)

Admittedly where I live there's little choice in record stores anyway. I think there's one small one in Canberra. I usually wait to travel to Sydney, Perth or Melbourne.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 10:00:41 AM »

I love record stores, so I always feel like I have to go to one on Record Store Day. And I always do. Even though Record Store Day kind of sucks, actually. You have to cram yourself into an overcrowded store, just because they have a couple of boxes of heavily overpriced new (or mostly just reissued) records. I don't know what the prices are in the US, but in The Netherlands 15+ euros for a RSD 7" single is no exception.

So anyway... I went to my local record store today and got a reissue of the first Beach Boys LP (on blue vinyl with a free 7" bonus single) and Nirvana's Pennyroyal Tea 7". And I got a goody bag with some free stuff, so that was cool.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 12:37:31 PM by Joost »

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 07:13:26 PM »

Just looked at the 'A' section of what was available at the RSD (it's as far as I prepared to check) and it's heartening to see that complete tosh like Adam Ant's first album is going great guns on eBay whereas The Action's 45s box set (produced by George Martin) is nowhere to be found.
2014.....don't you just love it!

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 08:07:27 AM »

It's back again.

I know this because in my diary on Saturday, 18th April is the entry - 'Record Shop Day - AVOID!'

Had a brief look down the list of items that are 'coming to an e-Bay account near you by Sunday, 19th April', and there doesn't appear to be too much to excite a Beatles' fan this year.
There is another one of those rubbish Bowie picture discs though, jolly good!

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 42 queries.