Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 'A Day In The Life' cello players  (Read 21895 times)

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
Re: 'A Day In The Life' cello players
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 11:28:57 PM »

pretty cool stuff hello goodbye
no surprise, the best was the actual eleanor rigby backing track
-
but i was kind of disappointed by the a day in the life cover . . it seemed like a waste of the kids' talents in the orchestra - just using them for the crescendo over those adults' faithful but (sorry) kinda average cover version . .
i would have liked to hear them do she's leaving home to give the orchestra a chance to actually play something challenging
so i googled and found a version of long and winding road that lets those kids do their thing
The Long and Winding Road Wannabeatles with the Cool Springs Youth Orchestra 1

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 11:36:13 PM »

Those kids are great!

I liked the string quartet too.
I can stay till it's time to go

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 11:40:56 PM »

I liked the string quartet too.

yea, i just watched a second time
they rocked !
they are getting so into it and look like they're having some serious fun! - a few times nodding their heads to the pulsating beat like heavy metal headbangers !  ha2ha

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 07:52:54 AM »

I had set my hopes on Bryan Kehew's book Recording The Beatles, but the same picture was used again.

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 11:50:59 AM »

Quote from: Xosé
By examining the original photo, I think I have identyfied the cello players #2 and #3.

#2: you can see his face and his left hand behind that violinist (=he shares the music stand with cello player #1):

#3: you can see his face behind that violinist and in the front middle of those two Double Bass players (=he shares the music stand with cello player #4):

So, my hypothesis read:

From right to left of the photo, the cello players are Francisco Gabarró, Dennis Vigay, Alan Dalziel and Alex Nifosi...

The son of Francisco Gabarró is living in Elche (=South East Spain) and has confirmed that the man at the photo is his father.

Gabarró was a pupil of Pau Casals and his son tells a very interesting anecdote regarding the recording of 'Yesterday'...

Xosé

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 09:49:44 PM »

The son of Francisco Gabarró is living in Elche (=South East Spain) and has confirmed that the man at the photo is his father.

Gabarró was a pupil of Pau Casals and his son tells a very interesting anecdote regarding the recording of 'Yesterday'...

Xosé

OK Xosé, spill the beans!! What is the interesting anecdote re: Yesterday!!!   :P

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 09:58:59 PM »

This is what Gabarró's son said:

After recording 'Yesterday' for the first time, McCartney asked Gabby (=Francisco Gabarró) for his opinion (=Gabarró was the principal of the cello section at the London Philharmonic at those days...) Gabby said that, in his opinion, the melody should be recorded in a softer mood, that it had been a bit crisp...

A few days later, Gabarró was in Lleida because his mother had died. He received a telephone call telling that McCartney wanted to record the song again. Gabby said ok, but they will have to wait a few days, because his mother had dead. EMI wanted to do the recording inmediately but McCartney said no until Gabby return back to London. So, they waited for him a re-recorded the song again...

Strange story..., is it not??  ???

Xosé

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 01:25:29 PM »

This is what Gabarró's son said:

After recording 'Yesterday' for the first time, McCartney asked Gabby (=Francisco Gabarró) for his opinion (=Gabarró was the principal of the cello section at the London Philharmonic at those days...) Gabby said that, in his opinion, the melody should be recorded in a softer mood, that it had been a bit crisp...

A few days later, Gabarró was in Lleida because his mother had died. He received a telephone call telling that McCartney wanted to record the song again. Gabby said ok, but they will have to wait a few days, because his mother had dead. EMI wanted to do the recording inmediately but McCartney said no until Gabby return back to London. So, they waited for him a re-recorded the song again...

Strange story..., is it not??  ???

Xosé

Excellent! Thanks for that.

According to Mark Lewisohn's Recording Sessions book, Paul did his two vocal/guitar takes of Yesterday on the evening of Monday 14 June 1965. The book doesn't make it clear whether or not the string quartet was overdubbed during the same session.
However, according to this website ...
http://www.beatlesebooks.com/yesterday
... the arrangement was written by Paul and George Martin on Tuesday 15th and the string session took place on Thursday 17th.
Lewisohn says that the song was mixed on that same date - Thursday 17 June - so I'm not sure when the second attempt at the strings, when Gabarro had returned from Spain, could have been.

There is a story on that website (and in the Lewisohn book) which says ....

"Paul ran into Francisco Gabarro a week later in the EMI canteen and thought to say something to him.  Gabarro recalls, “He came up to me and said, ‘We have a winner with that ‘Yesterday.’  I said, well, good luck!  Congratulations!"

Perhaps there was a second session with the strings AFTER the mixing done on 17th June which hasn't been noted by Lewisohn.

Bobber

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 02:07:23 PM »

That's a nice site to browse away the hours. There's a picture of Gabarro as well:

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 03:12:51 PM »

Excellent, peterbell1... Thank you very much!!  ;)

...According to Mark Lewisohn's Recording Sessions book, Paul did his two vocal/guitar takes of Yesterday on the evening of Monday 14 June 1965. The book doesn't make it clear whether or not the string quartet was overdubbed during the same session.
However, according to this website ...
http://www.beatlesebooks.com/yesterday
... the arrangement was written by Paul and George Martin on Tuesday 15th and the string session took place on Thursday 17th.
Lewisohn says that the song was mixed on that same date - Thursday 17 June - so I'm not sure when the second attempt at the strings, when Gabarro had returned from Spain, could have been.

There is a story on that website (and in the Lewisohn book) which says ....

"Paul ran into Francisco Gabarro a week later in the EMI canteen and thought to say something to him.  Gabarro recalls, “He came up to me and said, ‘We have a winner with that ‘Yesterday.’  I said, well, good luck!  Congratulations!"

Perhaps there was a second session with the strings AFTER the mixing done on 17th June which hasn't been noted by Lewisohn.

I will have more news from Gabarró's son in the coming time. I will let you know...

Best regards!!  ;)

Xosé

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 04:38:15 PM »

On 15-20 February 1965, a professional Double Bass player instructed McCartney (=and even Ringo) in the basics of holding the underhand -aka French- DB bow:

Two years later, McCartney plays a
Double Bass line for 'All You Need Is Love'
, bowing, pizzicato and hitting (=with Harrison on violin)...

Who was the Double Bass player at Abbey Road studios by 15-20 February 1965??

Best!!  ;)

Xosé
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 04:52:40 PM by Xose »

Bobber

« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2011, 08:20:10 AM »

Who's the guy pictured with Ringo? Could he be the bass player?

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2011, 09:19:05 AM »

Who's the guy pictured with Ringo? Could he be the bass player?

That's Johnny Dean, Beatles Monthly Book publisher...  ;)

I guess that an orchestra was at Abbey Road studios by those days. But..., which one??

Xosé

Bobber

« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011, 09:20:27 AM »

That's Johnny Dean, Beatles Monthly Book publisher...  ;)

Xosé

Ah! And did he know how to play the bass? Huh? ha2ha

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2011, 09:21:10 AM »

ha2ha

I guess that an orchestra was at Abbey Road studios by those days. But..., which one??

Xosé

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2011, 09:40:12 AM »

McCartney used the bow by those days. Brian Kehew - Kevin Ryan, Recording The Beatles, Houston, Curvebender, 2008, p. 394, a note in George Martin's hand for the 20 February session reads:

"...That Means a Lot
Track 1: George on Spanish acoustic
John on Fender
Drums + bass

Track 2: Paul bowing bass guitar
Ringo tom tom (w/echo)
And beginning only John on Fender..."

IMHO an orchestra was at Abbey Road (=probably Studio 1) by those days, but...., which one??

Xosé

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2011, 09:22:35 PM »

IMHO an orchestra was at Abbey Road (=probably Studio 1) by those days, but...., which one??

Xose, as I mentioned a couple of months ago in your "The beginnings of Paul McCartney's bass playing" thread, The George Martin Orchestra was recording this album at Abbey Road Studios at that time...

I can stay till it's time to go

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2011, 09:40:10 PM »

Xose, as I mentioned a couple of months ago in your "The beginnings of Paul McCartney's bass playing" thread, The George Martin Orchestra was recording this album at Abbey Road Studios at that time...

Oh yes... I forgot... Sorry abo' tha'...  >:(

So, if George Martin Orchestra was recording that álbum at that time, then I should find who were the Double Bass players...

Thank you very much!!  ;)

Xosé

thoms

« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2013, 09:40:48 AM »

The MU holds residuals for the next of kin of "Yesterday" cellist Francisco Gabarro.
We need to contact his son - P.A Gabarro I think - who seems to be in Elche, Spain according to earlier posts.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Peter Thoms
Sessions Official
pt1@themu.org
MU HQ
60 — 62 Clapham Road
London SW9 0JJ

T    020 7840 5559

http://www.theMU.org

soundmanjohn

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2014, 03:18:30 PM »

Currently, Denis (Dennis) Vigay is with The Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music in London.  He's pictured in the back row, third from the right.

You might like to know that the lady in the grey skirt in the centre of the back row is the 'cellist Andrea Hess, daughter of the violinist Jürgen Hess. She's also a session musician and a respected chamber music player and soloist.

Regards

John
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 0.558 seconds with 74 queries.