Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: The Beatles: 3 musical geniuses plus a drummer?  (Read 14611 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: The Beatles: 3 musical geniuses plus a drummer?
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2004, 06:04:42 PM »

NO! The Beatles would not be "The Beatles" without Ringo!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2004, 07:46:09 PM »

Ringo was a great drummer. Check out Strawberry Fields Forever, Come Together, and of A Day in the Life if you are not sure. As a writer, Don't Pass Me By is Ringo's signature piece as Octupus' Garden was largely rewritten by George (even if Ringo got the credits).

George was a great guitarist who wrote two of the finest songs ever (Something and Here Comes The Sun), but I think the calibre of his songwriting drops off fairly quickly after that.

Paul is a creative genius, an excellent musician, and one of the best singer's ever. Yes he could write shmaltz (see some of his solo work), but he can do it all. Consider the variety, musical talent, and range of "Helter Skelter", "Mother Nature's Son", "Back In The USSR", and "Martha My Dear" off the White Album - and that is not Paul's best work.

John was a genius as well, but what made him work is that he had an edge that Paul didn't. John could croon (Julia), but he was the master of the lyrical (Norwegian Wood, In My Life, Strawberry Fields, the list goes on and on).

One of the big things that made the Beatles work was three individual songwriters, including two of the best ever. When the boys went solo they had to fill albums with second rate material. George is the best example here. Instead of one or two songs on an album, he has to provide 10 or 12. I think that's a pretty deep dig and I think it shows on all of George's solo work except "All Things Must Pass".

Soft_Guitar60

• Getting Better
  • surrender to the void
    • Beatlemania
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2004, 08:46:35 PM »

Don't forget the drumming on 'Rain'!

Olly

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2004, 03:42:52 PM »

they were all musical geniuses but maybe a bit too much, i mean look at where they are now.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2004, 08:08:58 PM »

Songs that Ringo didn't play drums on (he did do some handclaps or minor percussion thingies on some though):

Across the universe
And I love her
Back in the USSR
The ballad of John and Yoko
Because
Blackbird
Dear Prudence
Eleanor Rigby
Her Majesty
I'll follow the sun
The inner light
I will
Julia
Love me do
Love you to
Martha my dear
Mother nature's son
Mr. Moonlight
Norwegian wood (this bird has flown)
Piggies
PS I love you
Revolution 9
She's leaving home
Till there was you
Wild honey pie
Within you without you
Yesterday
You've got to hide your love away

Unsure:
Michelle
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

And that doesn't even include any of the songs with Pete Best, or any Anthology songs.

Conclusion: the Beatles were still great without Ringo.

I'm not trying to put Ringo down cause I think he's a really cool guy, I just think that realistically seen the Beatles were still great without Ringo.

« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2004, 08:30:28 PM »

[quote by=Biscuit_Power link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1085621502,s=44 date=1092254938]Songs that Ringo didn't play drums on (he did do some handclaps or minor percussion thingies on some though):

Across the universe
And I love her
Back in the USSR
The ballad of John and Yoko
Because
Blackbird
Dear Prudence
Eleanor Rigby
Her Majesty
I'll follow the sun
The inner light
I will
Julia
Love me do
Love you to
Martha my dear
Mother nature's son
Mr. Moonlight
Norwegian wood (this bird has flown)
Piggies
PS I love you
Revolution 9
She's leaving home
Till there was you
Wild honey pie
Within you without you
Yesterday
You've got to hide your love away

Unsure:
Michelle
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

And that doesn't even include any of the songs with Pete Best, or any Anthology songs.

Conclusion: the Beatles were still great without Ringo.

I'm not trying to put Ringo down cause I think he's a really cool guy, I just think that realistically seen the Beatles were still great without Ringo.[/quote]

Not realistic at all.  Other percussion certainly counts.  And Indian music had it's own.

This list is skewed to your point.  And how many total songs are in their canon (over 200 something).  This is a very small percentage at best.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2004, 09:24:53 PM »

Actual percussion counts, but handclaps or woodblocks hardly do... You or I could've done those just as well.

And 30 on 200 makes 15% (again, not even including the Pete Best and the Anthology songs...) is not such a small percentage...

And do you think Back in the USSR, The ballad of John & Yoko or the Come and get it demo would've been any better with Ringo playing instead of Paul? Hardly, I think...

But I'll admit that this list doesn't say much... I could also make a pretty decent list of songs that John or George had nothing or hardly anything to do with...

Frightwolf

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2004, 09:44:47 PM »

It really pained me to pick Yes, but I really think George, John, and Paul were the geniuses with the deep, amazing lyrics.  Ringo was a great drummer, and he sang some wonderful stuff, but he didn't compose most of his songs, and the songs just didn't have the complexity of the other three.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2004, 09:59:41 PM »

Actually, I just looked it up and I'm going to admit that my list of songs made no sense, because the lists of songs that John or George didn't participate on are maybe even more impressive.

« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2004, 04:45:45 AM »

[quote by=Biscuit_Power link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1085621502,s=48 date=1092261581]Actually, I just looked it up and I'm going to admit that my list of songs made no sense, because the lists of songs that John or George didn't participate on are maybe even more impressive.[/quote]

Well it makes sense in a twisted sort of way...I suppose one could take the list of songs and come up with all manner of theories, some of which might very well be true.

I just didn't think the idea about Ringo held up.  But hey!  It sure looks like John and George were just  milestones around Ringo's poor neck! 

;-)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2004, 03:38:05 PM »

:)

HFleen

• A Beginning
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2004, 04:58:19 PM »

<grin> what a great title for a thread!

got a smile here!

Herb
============================
www.thebeatlesforum.com
&quot;Love, love me do...&quot;

Blackbird

• A Beginning
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2004, 02:15:00 AM »

[quote by=misterchaz link=Blah.pl?b=cc,m=1085621502,s=5 date=1085697231]I don't believe George OR Ringo were musical geniuses, strictly speaking.[/quote]

George was a musical genius, I think.  but he just didn't have as many good songs, and I agree, John and Paul were both good.  and I don't think they could have put another drummer in and it could be the same, Ringo was a true Beatle
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Page created in 1.706 seconds with 65 queries.