Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: the earliest surviving footage of The Beatles  (Read 10606 times)

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
Re: the earliest surviving footage of The Beatles
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2008, 08:37:28 PM »

Quote from: 1161
There's a page on this at Chaz Avery's site, along with a list of venues The Beatles played in February 1962, omitting Casbah and Cavern dates.

01.02.1962 West Kirby, Thistle Cafe'
02.02.1962 Manchester, Oasis Club
05.02.1962 Southport, Kingsway Club
09.02.1962 Birkenhead, Technical College
10.02.1962 Birkenhead, Youth Club
15.02.1962 Wallasey, Tower Ballroom

16.02.1962 Birkenhead, Technical College
2nd show Wallasey, Tower Ballroom
20.02.1962 Southport, Floral Hall
23.02.1962 2nd show Wallasey, Tower Ballroom
3rd show Birkenhead, Technical College
4th show Wallasey, Tower Ballroom
24.02.1962 Hoylake, YMCA
26.02.1962 Southport, Kingsway Club

Odd they weren't booked for Valentine's Day!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

BlueMeanie

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2008, 08:43:14 PM »

Quote from: 568

Ah, but they were. They played at The Cavern on the 14th.

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2008, 08:45:02 PM »

From this statement I would assume that you've never been a (male) budding musician who has a girlfriend...? :)

Valentine's Day, Birthdays and Anniversaries = no no no. Arguments happen. Big ones. It's not worth it!

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2008, 08:50:42 PM »

This site has good info (and clips):

http://www.beatlesource.com/savage/1962/62.02.20%20Floral%20Hall/62..02.20floralhall.html

- Gold lamé curtains can be seen behind the band.
- In The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn states that Floral Hall, where The Beatles played on 20 February 1962, had gold lamé curtains.
While it is very possible that other venues also had gold lamé, Floral Hall seems like a plausible guess for the venue and thus, the date, of the film.

- However, a recent bit of info provided to me by Pete Best indicates that this might, in fact, be 10 February 1962 at St. Paul's Church Hall in Birkenhead.
PETE: "We think the cine footage is in St Pauls church Hall in Birkenhead and not the Floral Hall (we have the ticket from St Paul's) and we have another spool of the cine that the clip was taken from this is being checked out as we speak."

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #44 on: December 09, 2008, 08:53:42 PM »

And to harp on about this *yet again* - downloading the 'full' video from that site reveals that the footage has more height than can be seen on the Youtube version (trimmed?). You can read the 'heart' in full in the mpeg. It appears to say "A Valentine's Dance". The heart has an arrow going through it. In typical Valentine's fashion...

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2008, 08:59:44 PM »

Quote from: 1571
This site has good info (and clips):

http://www.beatlesource.com/savage/1962/62.02.20%20Floral%20Hall/62..02.20floralhall.html

- In The Complete Beatles Chronicle, Mark Lewisohn states that Floral Hall, where The Beatles played on 20 February 1962, had gold lamé curtains.
While it is very possible that other venues also had gold lamé, Floral Hall seems like a plausible guess for the venue and thus, the date, of the film.

- However, a recent bit of info provided to me by Pete Best indicates that this might, in fact, be 10 February 1962 at St. Paul's Church Hall in Birkenhead.
PETE: "We think the cine footage is in St Pauls church Hall in Birkenhead and not the Floral Hall (we have the ticket from St Paul's) and we have another spool of the cine that the clip was taken from this is being checked out as we speak."

OK, first things first - you correspond with Pete Best? Ya can't just leave this lying out there like that, laddie!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2008, 09:01:35 PM »

From this statement I would assume that you've never been a (male) budding musician who has a girlfriend...? :)

Valentine's Day, Birthdays and Anniversaries = no no no. Arguments happen. Big ones. It's not worth it!

To paraphrase John ... I'm not budding! But, all kinds of folks have to work on Valentine's Day, all it takes is a little special gift to make up for it. A Little Elvis goes a long way  ;)

Thanks for the heads up on the Cavern date, BM!

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

BlueMeanie

« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2008, 09:06:58 PM »

Here's the full text from YouTube:

This film clip is the earliest surviving movie film (Super 8mm) of The Beatles that has become available (a three minute film from The Top Ten Club in Hamburg in Spring 1961 is reported to exist). This clip also offers the first color photos (stills from individual frames of the film) when the band was using the name "The Beatles". The film was discovered in 1973 by the son of the photographer (is that what it would be called?). It was auctioned at Sotheby's in 1996.
The complete film is reported to also contain non-Beatles images shot in various clubs. It shows people drinking, playing snooker and watching the band. The Beatles are seen in two separate segments which appear to represent two different songs being performed. In the first segment, George is seen singing. In the second segment, Paul is singing. John is not seen at a microphone. Pete is obscurred in the shadows and can't be seen at all.

The total amount of time for the two Beatles' segments is said to be 30 seconds. At the time of the Sotheby's auction, excerpts of the film were shown on ITN News in the UK and Extra in the US. In 2004 most, if not all, of the clip was featured in the Pete Best documentary DVD, Best Of The Beatles. The clip presented here would seem to be the entire clip because it fits the reported 30 second length and it features two different songs. I'm not sure of the source for this clip.

So when, exactly, was this film made?:
- The Beatles are in their leather outfits.
This puts the film date between July 1961 (when the band returned to England from Hamburg) and March 1962 (when they shed the leather outfits).

- Paul is playing his Hofner 500/1 bass which was purchased in Germany around April 1961.

- George is playing his Gretsch Duo Jet guitar which he purchased around July 1961
This puts the film date after July 1961. There is some theory that Paul and George's instruments were purchased before going to Hamburg in March 1961. However, the photo sets featured here at The Savage Young Beatles illustrate the accuracy of the April and July 1961 dates. Likewise, a pre-March 1961 date would predate the leather outfits. These dates also concur with Andy Babiuk's book, Beatles Gear.

- Red hearts can be seen behind the band.
It can be assumed the hearts are Valentine's Day decorations. If this is the case, this must place the date sometime in February 1962.

Since Valentine hearts are seen, it seems logical that the hearts would be up four days before Valentine's Day as opposed to six days after on 20 February (i.e. the Floral Hall show).

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2008, 09:42:49 PM »

OK, first things first - you correspond with Pete Best? Ya can't just leave this lying out there like that, laddie!

I'm afraid not - I was just quoting from someone's site. I did once have the opportunity to chat with Pete Best, but at the same time I also had the chance to talk to Tony Crane and Billy Kinsley from the Merseybeats. And, y'know, Pete might have once known the Beatles, but Crane and Kinsley wrote 'Sorrow' (one of the greatest pop singles of all time). And thus they mean more to me than Pete does, Beatles connections, or not!

Joe

• A Beginning
    • The Beatles Bible
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2008, 04:32:17 PM »

If The Beatles could play a gig in Chester on the night of John's wedding to Cynthia (August 1962) I suspect they'd have forgone a quiet night in on Valentine's Day  ;)
http://www.beatlesbible.com - come and say hi, and PM me any suggestions. It's a work in progress but you'll get the idea...

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2008, 04:57:44 PM »

Quote from: 1509

If The Beatles could play a gig in Chester on the night of John's wedding to Cynthia (August 1962) I suspect they'd have forgone a quiet night in on Valentine's Day  ;)

John was such a pig. Where's The Swine, he may have something to say about this!
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Gloi

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #51 on: December 14, 2008, 04:48:28 PM »

I'll agree with Walrusgumboot in that i've been in Southport Floral Hall plenty of times and it doesn't look like that.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #52 on: December 14, 2008, 05:30:01 PM »

Billy and Tony of the Merseys didn't write 'Sorrow', the number was written by Bob Feldman, Gerald Goldstein and Richard Gottehrer

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #53 on: December 14, 2008, 05:48:47 PM »

Quote from: 1062
Billy and Tony of the Merseys didn't write 'Sorrow', the number was written by Bob Feldman, Gerald Goldstein and Richard Gottehrer

Oh! They probably shouldn't have taken the credit that I gave them, then. Tut-tut!

Mind you, on the same tour, I did see The Fourmost signing a copy of their first album for a fan. It was a shame that none of the Fourmost who were on that record were actually doing the signing!

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2008, 08:46:35 PM »

John was such a pig. Where's The Swine, he may have something to say about this!

i can only hope that a certain member of this forum reads that line and will discuss it with you. as for me, i have always said that john lennon was certainly not the god that people of today think he is. funny thing is that if john lennon f***s a whore, it will be regarded as an act of peace and love. if im f***ing a whore, it is not.
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2008, 09:11:46 PM »

Quote from: 748
funny thing is that if john lennon f***s a whore, it will be regarded as an act of peace and love. if im f***ing a whore, it is not.

There's a picture. Or two.

(wave1)

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #56 on: December 15, 2008, 07:55:06 AM »

Quote from: 1161
There's a picture. Or two.
(wave1)

or f***ing whatever. but im sure you get my point.  ;D

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #57 on: December 15, 2008, 08:09:14 AM »

Quote from: 748
i can only hope that a certain member of this forum reads that line and will discuss it with you.

Uh oh.......

You will find the bigger piggies
Stirring up the dirt...
[/b]

*pulls up a chair with a tub of popcorn and waits for the show to begin.....yet again*
:P ;D

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #58 on: December 15, 2008, 08:12:56 AM »

Quote from: 1620
Stirring up the dirt...[/i]

i see you finally get the point.  ;D

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2008, 02:16:06 PM »

people are intitled to their own opinion,even if they are wrong such as is the case of john being a pig....little marbles fit easily into big holes but big marbles will never fit little holes...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 2.159 seconds with 80 queries.