Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Is Ringo looked at as a joke these days?  (Read 9708 times)

Revolution

• Getting Better
Re: Is Ringo looked at as a joke these days?
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 06:22:48 AM »

Ringo doesn't get Half the credit he should,imo.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2007, 01:24:51 AM »

FWIW, I think Ringo's work was INDISPENSABLE in the Beatle's sound. I think that it would have been MUCH harder for them to sell records without Ringo.

Maybe this is dumb, but I really think it's true. For example, his drumming on "All I've Got to Do" is one of my favorite drum bits in the world. He's pretty hot on "Please Please Me" as well, the first single he ever played on. It goes on from there ...
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2007, 01:46:39 AM »

13 Reason People Should Respect RINGO!    ~Read themwhen you get a chance~
----------------------------------------------------
Ringo was the first true rock drummer to be seen on TV. All the Rock & Roll drummers featured with Elvis, Bill Haley, Little Richard, Fats Domino and Jerry Lee Lewis were mostly R&B drummers that were making the transition from a swing drumming style of the 40's and 50's toward the louder and more "rocking" sound that is associated with "I Want To Hold Your Hand". They were dressed in tuxedos and suits and held the drumsticks in the "traditional" manner of military, orchestra, and jazz drummers. Ringo showed the world that power was needed to put the emphasis on the "rock" in Rock & Roll music, so he gripped both sticks like hammers and proceeded to build a foundation for rock music.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ringo changed the way drummers hold their sticks by making popular the "matched" grip of holding drumsticks. Nearly all drummers in the Western World prior to Ringo held their sticks in what is termed the "traditional" grip, with the left hand stick held like a chopstick. This grip was originally developed by military drummers to accomodate the angle of the drum when strapped over the shoulder. Ringo's grip changes the odd left hand to match the right hand, so that both sticks are held like a flyswatter. Rock drummers along with marching band and orchestral percussionists now mostly play with a "matched" grip, and drum companies have developed straps and accessories to accomodate them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ringo started a trend of placing drummers on high risers so that they would be as visible as the other musicians. When Ringo appeared on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964, he immediately caught the attention of thousands of "drummers to be" by towering over the other three Beatles. Elvis's drummer was looking at a collection of backs.

These same "wannabe" drummers also noticed that Ringo was playing Ludwig drums and they immediately went out and bought thousands of these drumsets, thus establishing Ludwig as the definitive name in Rock & Roll drums at that time.

Ringo changed the sound of recorded drums. About the time of Rubber Soul (released Dec. 6,1965), the sound of the drumset started to become more distinct. Along with help from the engineers at Abbey Road studios, Ringo popularized a new sound for the drums by tuning them lower, deadening the tonal ring with muffling materials, and making them sound "closer" by putting a microphone on each drum.

Ringo has nearly perfect tempo. This allowed the Beatles to record a song 50 or 60 times, and then be able to edit together different parts of numerous takes of the same song for the best possible version. Today an electronic metronome is used for the same purpose, but the Beatles had to depend on Ringo to keep the tempo consistant throughout the dozens of takes of the songs that you know and love so well. Had he not had this ability, the Beatles recordings would sound completely different today.

Ringo's "feel" for the beat serves as a standard for pop-rock record producers and drummers alike. It is relaxed, but never dragging. Solid, yet always breathing. And yes, there is a great amount of musical taste in his decisions of what to play and when to play it. In most recording sessions, the drummer's performance acts as a barometer for the rest of the musicians. The stylistic direction, dynamics, and emotions are filtered through the drummer. He is the catcher to whom the pitcher/songwriter is throwing. If the drumming doesn't feel good, the performance of any additional musicians is doomed from the start. The Beatles rarely if ever had this problem with Ringo.

Ringo hated drum solos, which should win points with quite a few people. He only took one solo while with the Beatles. His eight measure solo appears during "The End" on the "B" side of Abbey Road. Some might say that it is not a great display of technical virtuosity, but they would be at least partially mistaken. You can set an electronic metronome to a perfect 126 beats per minute, then play it along with Ringo's solo and the two will stay exactly together.

Ringo's ability to play odd time signatures helped to push popular songwriting into uncharted areas. Two examples are "All you Need is Love" in 7/4 time, and "Here Comes the Sun" with repeating 11/8, 4/4, and 7/8 passages in the chorus.

Ringo's proficiency in many differen styles such as two beat swing ("When I'm Sixty-Four"), ballads ("Something"), R&B ("Leave My Kitten Alone" and "Taxman") and country (the Rubber Soul album) helped the Beatles to explore many musical directions with ease. His pre-Beatle experience as a versatile and hard working nightclub musician served him well.

The idea that Ringo was a lucky Johnny-on-the-spot-with-a-showbiz-stage-name is wrong. In fact, when Beatle producer George Martin expressed his unhappiness after the first session with original drummer Pete Best, the decision was made by Paul, George, and John to hire who they considered to be the best drummer in Liverpool - Ringo Starr. His personality was a bonus.

The rumors that Ringo did not play on many of the Beatle songs because he was not good enough are also false. In fact, he played on every released Beatles recording (not including Anthology 1) that include drums except for the following: "Back In The USSR" and "Dear Prudence", on which Paul played drums due to Ringo temporarily quitting the band, "The Ballad of John and Yoko", again featuring Paul on drums because Ringo was off making a movie, and a 1962 release of "Love Me Do" featuring session drummer Andy White.

When the Beatles broke up and they were all trying to get away from each other, John Lennon chose Ringo to play drums on his first solo record. As John once said, "If I get a thing going Ringo knows where to go, just like that.." A great songwriter could ask no more of a drummer. Except maybe to smile and bob his head.  

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 02:17:06 AM »

What a great list, DarkSweetLady! Thanks for posting.
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2007, 09:37:29 PM »

Great list DarkSweetLady! ;)

I think a lot of Ringo's records lately have a very strong Beatle sound in them,
Vertical Man would have worked nicely in a Beatles record (maybe).

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

DarkSweetLady

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 09:08:46 PM »

George also said something about Ringo... he said like you don't have to tell Ringo what to do, you start playing a song and he just knows  what to do....

~the guiding light in all your love shines on~

The Fox Drummer

• A Beginning
  • I'm a drummer, not a wetnurse.
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2007, 11:36:30 PM »

Wow, DarkSweetLady...can I borrow that to shove in some people's faces? With one addition?

Number 14 - He was just a great guy in general.
<br />One thing I can tell you is you got to be free...

Wayne L.

« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 07:44:12 PM »

It would be great if Ringo was thought of in the same terms as the late, great Keith Moon, John Bohnam & Ginger Baker instead of being slightly dismissed.  

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2007, 10:20:22 PM »

Quote from: 395
It would be great if Ringo was thought of in the same terms as the late, great Keith Moon, John Bohnam & Ginger Baker instead of being slightly dismissed.  

Why are people thinking he's slightly dismissed? Who are this dismissing people?

I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2007, 01:48:27 AM »

Quote from: 668
13 Reason People Should Respect RINGO!  

I'm a bit late, but... great list, DarkSweetLady! (thumbsup)
Hehe, I remember reading it before on one of those Ringo sites... "Ringo Starr Homepage"... quite a good site actually.

And that site's got some more reasons to respect Ringo and to give him the credit he deserves:

http://web2.airmail.net/gshultz/drummer.html
("Ringo's importance as a drummer")

http://web2.airmail.net/gshultz/hartsoul.html
("Ringo's importance as a person")

Quote from: 669
With one addition?

Number 14 - He was just a great guy in general.

*strongly agrees*
Yeah, we should definitely add this one to the list. Go Ringo!  ;D

Quote from: 614
I think a lot of Ringo's records lately have a very strong Beatle sound in them,
Vertical Man would have worked nicely in a Beatles record (maybe).

Sorry, I'm going slightly off-topic here, but... do you recommend Vertical Man, Andy Smith? That's about the only Ringo album I can find in the CD shops 'round here (besides "Ringo", which I've got  ;D ), and I was thinking of buying it...
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2007, 01:31:52 PM »

Quote from: 610
do you recommend Vertical Man, Andy Smith? That's about the only Ringo album I can find in the CD shops 'round here (besides "Ringo", which I've got  ;D ), and I was thinking of buying it...

I highley recommened it, it's one of Ringo's finest albums's, it's in line with Choose Love
& Ringo Rama. He seems to be making better albums in recent years & they are very
enjoyable! :) I'd say get Vertical Man & enjoy!!

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2007, 01:58:22 AM »

^ Thanks Andy Smith!  ;D "When I got to town" (musicnotes) I'll probably get it!
And I'd love to get the other two that you mentioned as well... I only have 2 songs from Choose Love, and 1 from Ringo Rama...  :-/ One day, I'll get 'em all  :)

Beatlemaniac64

• Getting Better
  • "Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted" - John
    • Instagram
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 06:37:32 PM »

Yeah, nobody takes much notice of Ringo, even though he was part of the best band ever! I wish they would, but maybe it's because he just isn't the best musician ever. But, it should be that way. I like how he's just given the people that are his fans pleasure with fun music. It's not really his personality to be the best songwriter ever, he just has fun doing what he does best: drumming and making music for enjoyment for himself and fans. I love Ringo and his music just the way it is, I think he's great!
-Julia
Born 1991, fan since 2006

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Confusion will be my epitaph"
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 12:25:12 AM »

the truth is he doesn't sell, thats why he could be playing a huge gig and liam gallagher could be taking a **** and liam will be printed and ringo wont, ringo is just a really nice guy, thats why  lennon is always brought up in music magazines, he was edgy besides the music you could fill a paper with stories of what hes done besides the beatles, in the same way george and to certain point paul arent always on the covers of magazines, it used to make me angry when i would see the oasis guys all over papers but other bands like blur... who were  far better and accomplished musicians would be ignored, and it would then also gaurantee them an number one album, also i think the whole peace sign thing he always does maybe makes them think of ringo as a bit of a joke  :-/

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 06:30:17 AM »

Quote from: 793
I like how he's just given the people that are his fans pleasure with fun music.

Yeah, I like it too.  :)
And one could argue that he's not the best musician ever, and that there are others more accomplished than him, but... I really enjoy Ringo's music. It always manages to make me happy, to put a smile on my face... in some songs he sounds sincere, and in others he's just so funny!  ;D But I don't think he's a joke at all - I think he's wonderful. ^___^
Great drummer too (of course!  ;D)
Go Ringo! (thumbsup)

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2007, 02:40:13 PM »

Quote from: 758
also i think the whole peace sign thing he always does maybe makes them think of ringo as a bit of a joke  :-/

Good analysis, Fendertele. I agree with it all. Even so, the thing Ringo has, and has even more in his geezerhood, is an appreciation of what the Beatles brought people: fun and joy. Yes, to a cynical world, I agree the peace sign looks like a joke. "Oh, the poor sod, he's trapped in the 60s." But from Ringo, that peace sign comes from the heart. He still believes in it after all these years, and he challenges us to believe in it as well.

That's why he's becoming one of my favorite old codgers. Go, Ring!

All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2007, 07:13:00 PM »

yeah dont get me wrong i think hes great and he does totally still believe that it can make a difference but ppl nowadays have no time for it, if it isnt going to affect them directly who cares what will hurt generations in the future, also ithink the whole peace sign was relevant to him in the 60s-70s and like any ahbit annoying or not  unless its pointed out over and over you wont even know youre doing it, i honestly think it is less that hes doing it for peace but more of a habit hes got into over the years

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2007, 11:22:02 PM »

No worries, Fendertele. I think I was tracking with you pretty well. :)

Perhaps it's a habit, but I'd put it in the same category as someone crossing themselves to say grace, or making a ritual tap to the forehead, or whatever. It's a habit, but one based on a belief. It reminds the person as well as the watcher that there's something going on we ought to remember. Changing the world is just an act of will. :)

• A Beginning
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2007, 02:17:29 AM »

Cynics will always look at Ringo as the luckiest person in the world, that his chops weren't worthy of his fame and fortune.  For those of us that know better, he was hand picked because he complimented the band with his talent, wit, and chemistry.  He was/is a great, steady drummer.  He fit.  Keith Moon or Bonham wouldn't have, though they are technically better drummers.  The Beatles didn't need that kind of bombast.  Ringo was perfect.  He has aged well (picture your dad at 67 doing what he's doing), and he didn't come out of the '60s in a pine box, heroin addict, or malcontent.  Possibly the most level of that generation's lot, and is fondly remembered as the world's greatest sideman, and a decent fellow. His humour has served him well and he's just cool.  I am sure that there are some of you that say "Peace" at the end of voice message or when leaving company.  It's cool.  Long story unbearable--Ringo is no joke, he is a treasure, and really, how can you not like Ringo?
What time does the Bus leave?<br /><br />The opinons expressed by 834 are solely maintained by 834 and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of other members or management of this site.  They are not meant to offend or insult, they are just

fendertele

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2007, 05:40:47 AM »

:) well put
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 89 queries.