Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Esher Tapes  (Read 12435 times)

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
Re: Esher Tapes
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 04:58:24 PM »

Oh for a Dylan 'Bootleg Series' type set of releases by The Beatles via Apple.

These volumes, started in 1991, have gone a huge way into rehabilitating Dylan's reputation after the dire 1980s.

Meanwhile, back in Beatle-land, people are still scrambling around trying to get reasonable versions of the BBC recordings, Star Club, Xmas flexis, Esher demos, get Back, Rooftop concert, the Spanish 1965 concert.....

Sad.
Not as sad as the state of The Rolling Stones 60s catalogue, but still sad.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

KelMar

« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 04:58:45 PM »

Thank you Cor!

KelMar

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 05:01:47 PM »

Sad.
Not as sad as the state of The Rolling Stones 60s catalogue, but still sad.

I just wonder though how well these things would sell if given a proper release. And there is the thrill of the hunt to consider.  ;)

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 08:58:10 PM »

I just wonder though how well these things would sell if given a proper release. And there is the thrill of the hunt to consider.  ;)

The problem with Apple is that it is always done half. Then again, how many people are waiting for an officially released BBC recordings? I mean the complete thing? Or would the Xmas discs really sell? It's fun to listen to once or twice, but IMHO that's about it.

Then again: it's all there. You can be stubborn and refuse to take it as long as it's not officially released. Or you CAN take it and enjoy it in the quality it's presented.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 10:03:54 PM »

I suppose eventually they'll get some official release as an historical item. A bit like rough recordings of early 20th century artists in the Library of Congress or something. Probably when Paul and Ringo have shuffled off their mortal coiliness. Or at least too old to care.

While we aficionados would buy it I doubt it'd rival 1 for chart supremacy.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 10:05:10 PM »

Having said that. I'd love to see them get the full release treatment, including proper documentation.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 03:39:09 AM »

Thanks a heap for these Bobber.  It's a fun listen. I can't imagine listening to the whole collection much, but I'll pull a few tracks to put on playlists. Nothing like variety.

KelMar

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2015, 04:48:08 AM »

A bit like rough recordings of early 20th century artists in the Library of Congress or something.

I love going to their site. I have a rather large collection of sheet music from that time period and since I have no way or skills to play the songs I often go to the LOC site to see if I can hear them. For anyone who's never checked it out it's here: National Jukebox: Historical Recordings from the Library of Congress. This is another fun site: Cylinder Preservation and Digitization Project. One of my dreams is to acquire an Edison cylinder phonograph. There was a great one at an auction one time-perfect condition with a bunch of cylinders-but my only competitor bid it up into the stratosphere.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2015, 05:01:19 AM »

I love going to their site. I have a rather large collection of sheet music from that time period and since I have no way or skills to play the songs I often go to the LOC site to see if I can hear them. For anyone who's never checked it out it's here: National Jukebox: Historical Recordings from the Library of Congress. This is another fun site: Cylinder Preservation and Digitization Project. One of my dreams is to acquire an Edison cylinder phonograph. There was a great one at an auction one time-perfect condition with a bunch of cylinders-but my only competitor bid it up into the stratosphere.

A cylinder player would be a rarity. When clearing out my mothers place I found, with her heavy as lead old 78s, a couple of old cylinders as well. Must have got them from her mother.  I thought any player for them would only be in museums now.

Bobber

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2015, 08:25:39 AM »

Thanks a heap for these Bobber.  It's a fun listen. I can't imagine listening to the whole collection much, but I'll pull a few tracks to put on playlists. Nothing like variety.

You're welcome. This is a part of a collection of six cd's called 'Complete Home Recordings', containing the early stuff from 1957, demo's and home recorded things. I can upload them all if anyone is interested, but it will be rather a big file.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2015, 08:30:36 AM »

I'm gonna need a bigger hard drive. I'd be interested for sure.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2015, 08:53:00 AM »

You're welcome. This is a part of a collection of six cd's called 'Complete Home Recordings', containing the early stuff from 1957, demo's and home recorded things. I can upload them all if anyone is interested, but it will be rather a big file.

Yes I want it all Cor, thanks for all this mate  ;)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2015, 12:18:33 PM »

Having listened to these tapes I would change what became The White Album

take off

Rev No 9
Rocky Raccoon
WDWDINTRoad
EGSTHEFMAMMonkey

put on these much better songs

Sour Milk Sea
Junk
Not Guilty
Child Of Nature
Circles (this reminds me of a Pink Floyd song but Im not sure which)
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2015, 01:10:11 PM »

I'd do similar. It's an indication of Paul's control that he could get stuff like Rocky on and decent George tunes like Sour Milk Sea got the boot. Another rocky uptempo tune wouldn't have hurt the White Album.

My only hesitation with John's Child of Nature is that overall I prefer it as Jealous Guy. The hippy nature lyrics sound a little dated to me now while jealousy is timeless. ;D

I think the folksier acoustic version of Not Guilty on this collection was probably the approach they should have pursued. It didn't quite gel with the heavier treatment heard on Anthology (after 100 takes it should have). And the later solo version was too MOR for my taste. 

Junk was a nice tune. I think it deserved a spot too.

Circles I'm less keen on. I'd probably let Long Long Long be Georges dirgey Lo fi number for the album. George put Circles on Gone Troppo and it didn't do much for me.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2015, 04:06:59 PM »

Re: A Bootleg Series.

What I don't get is why no one at Apple wouldn't have wanted to do all this properly by now.

Someone at Sony obviously did want to make sense of Dylan's unreleased projects, and it has clearly paid dividends for him and, I'd argue, has probably put him ahead of The Beatles in terms of cultural importance (possibly) and public recognition (definitely) over the last 25 years.

It's fresh historical product Dylan fans get every two years, unlike The Beatles, and it's Dylan CDs you see in the supermarkets, again, unlike The Beatles.

nimrod

• Global Moderator
  • A Thousand Pages
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2015, 08:49:12 PM »

I'd do similar. It's an indication of Paul's control that he could get stuff like Rocky on and decent George tunes like Sour Milk Sea got the boot. Another rocky uptempo tune wouldn't have hurt the White Album.

My only hesitation with John's Child of Nature is that overall I prefer it as Jealous Guy. The hippy nature lyrics sound a little dated to me now while jealousy is timeless. ;D

I think the folksier acoustic version of Not Guilty on this collection was probably the approach they should have pursued. It didn't quite gel with the heavier treatment heard on Anthology (after 100 takes it should have). And the later solo version was too MOR for my taste. 

Junk was a nice tune. I think it deserved a spot too.

Circles I'm less keen on. I'd probably let Long Long Long be Georges dirgey Lo fi number for the album. George put Circles on Gone Troppo and it didn't do much for me.

agree with you about Jealous Guy but it didnt exist at the time and I think the song was better than several on the album, Georges 3 should definitely been on on though (although I dont like the Gone Troppo version) ...........Junk is aching beautiful imo.
Kevin

All You Need Is Love

Bobber

« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2015, 09:08:12 AM »

Here you go. Valid till July 8th

http://we.tl/Zvqu1W176B

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2015, 09:55:16 AM »

You're a good man Bobber. Ta

KelMar

« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2015, 04:56:37 PM »

You're a good man Bobber. Ta

That you are Cor! Now I have I have to do some major cleaning out of my hard drive. I have some bits and pieces of all these things you've shared that I now don't need. I wish there was a utility to run that just knew what to get rid of! 

KelMar

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2015, 05:06:30 PM »

I have never understood this Bootleg Zone. How do you get the music?

???

FAQ
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.856 seconds with 75 queries.