Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mono...  (Read 1822 times)

Mono...
« on: March 14, 2006, 04:49:18 PM »

I guess this may be a bit of a silly question but are the mono versions of Help!, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and The Beatles avaliable anywhere, I think I've seen them but ony at record fairs as bootlegs.

Because the Mono versions of these albums are the definite article why the hell did they only release the inferior 'fake' stereo versions?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: Mono...
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2006, 05:37:11 PM »

Re the second point - I can only guess that back then everyone assumed stereo to be superior (it was the fad of the time - we used to get stoned and listen to the bird fly across the room in Ummagumma.)  I know that in the 80's I would have bought a product marked stereo over one marked mono on the assumption it was of superior quality and more modern. Mono was so sixties. Plus I would have wanted to utilize my new fangled CD player to the max.
don't follow leaders

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2006, 07:21:36 PM »

I've read something about it here:

http://dmbeatles.com/cgi-bin/Blah/Blah.pl?b-fifths/m-1139773501/

3rd interview or reply 5

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 02:14:06 AM »

Quote from: TheMasterOfGoingFaster
I guess this may be a bit of a silly question but are the mono versions of Help!, Rubber Soul, Revolver, Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and The Beatles avaliable anywhere, I think I've seen them but ony at record fairs as bootlegs.

Because the Mono versions of these albums are the definite article why the hell did they only release the inferior 'fake' stereo versions?

The closest we're getting to official mono releases at the moment is via the Capitol Box sets (We're a long way off from a Sgt Pepper release yet though!). However some of the US mono mixes were just mono mixes of the stereo versions.

Hopefully Apple will address their UK CD catalog again someday before I die! The packaging is awful on the UK CDs as well! Until that day we'll have to settle for bootlegged copies!

Check out the Dr Ebbetts series
http://www.bootlegzone.com/files.php?section=1&pub=160

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 42 queries.