News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33

Author Topic: Books  (Read 87585 times)

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
Re: Books
« Reply #120 on: March 17, 2013, 10:34:44 AM »

Finally received 'Who I Am' after a long delay and quite a few angry emails to BookDepository and even though I like it, I was disappointed by a few things:

-those spiritual descriptions are very, very annoying. At first I looked at them in a symbolic way and didn't pay much attention, but the whole "I saw the devil and he told me to stop drinking/I was making love to Meher Baba on his bed (wtf)" got very tedious after a while. He keeps coming back to these things and it's worse each time.

-until the page in which Keith died, I seriously got the impression that he hated the guy. Not once does he mention something about his drumming being fantastic or his unmatched sense of humour. Most of the times he seems annoyed by Keith, which I am sure was true at times, but come on, I can't believe he hasn't got any great memories with him as well. Roger on the other hand, gets praise EVERYWHERE: for his singing, for his stage presence, for his acting etc.

-from page 355: "I hadn't touched alcohol for two months, but I needed help to break my dependence on prescription drugs and heroin". Heroin?! He made it pretty clear that he was addicted to cocaine by the time, but he didn't mention heroin at all before. I realise this is no big deal, but it just struck me as weird. A heroin addiction is just not something you forget to mention.

-maybe it's just me here, but I am still baffled by the whole Lifehouse - Who's Next story. After his breakdown, things were starting to get better. The band resumed working on the Lifehouse songs. Then all of a sudden, they release Who's Next with only a few of those songs. Pete hated the cover, the album name and probably the record itself as well. It just doesn't make any sense. The record company released it without Pete's approvement perhaps? Can they even do that? If so, why didn't he say so? (in the book). Perhaps someone can explain this one to me...
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #121 on: March 17, 2013, 05:17:36 PM »

Upon further "research", it seems that most Who fans are disappointed by the book mainly because it doesn't really get into details about any particular event and because few facts shared were unknown.

Here are some funny quotes I found on a Who forum:

"I did learn a few new things. Like the all the stuff about the sea scouts."

"Well....I learned alot about boats."

"I must say this about Pete....he's a sh*t driver."

Also, as a side note, apparently the original book was 1000 pages and had to be cut down. That may be the reason for the lack of details, and perhaps more interesting, obscure facts.

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2013, 09:45:28 PM »

Not a big Who fan but this is a very well written review.
I'm currently reading The Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink. Very spooky so far :)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #123 on: June 28, 2013, 10:34:42 PM »

Interesting review of Who I Am, Ovi. I had to laugh on reading that the original manuscript was 1,000 pages. That sounds so like Pete Townshend. That is interesting that the book implies that he didn't care too much for Keith; I'd read that the reason for his downward spiral in the early 80s was because of Keith's death. I know I read that somewhere; I just can't remember which book it was.

I actually tucked this one under the bed after starting it, because I'm still so upset that he and Karen divorced after so many years, and I wasn't sure I wanted to learn the reason why (yes, I'm a very invested fan, LOL), but I'm going to pull it out and finish.

Dear Boy -- Tony Fletcher's bio of Keith  -- was truly un-put-downable. Learned a lot! If you haven't read that one yet, I highly recommend it.

KelMar

« Reply #124 on: July 03, 2013, 05:50:23 AM »

Kathy, Beth Harbison has a new book out. I sort of like the title; "Chose the Wrong Man, Gave Him the Wrong Finger".  ;D

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/18047319-chose-the-wrong-guy-gave-him-the-wrong-finger

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #125 on: July 03, 2013, 02:28:43 PM »

Thanks, Kelley! Love that title.   ;)    I've read a couple of Beth Harbison's books and like them, so I will definitely look for that one. I need to replenish my summer reading pile.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »

It's National Book Lovers Day in the States (although there seems to be a "national day" for literally everything.......).

I found the following gallery amusing. I've ALWAYS loved that library in Disney's Beauty and the Beast. Bliss!

http://now.msn.com/national-book-lovers-day-signs-you-love-books-too-much

nimrod

« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2013, 11:17:22 PM »

The Secret Of Crickley Hall - James Herbert

IMO James was the best British writer of the supernatural, sadly he died not long ago. Ive read most of his books and find once you start you cant put them down, This is a ghost story, Im not ususally a great fan of hauntings type things but as its him I thought Id give him a go, Its brilliant of course :)
Also recommend 'Moon' by the same author, in fact.....all of them ;)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #128 on: August 31, 2013, 05:45:18 PM »

I somehow missed that last post. I will have to see if I can find any James Herbert books at the library -- they sound good. I love ghost stories. 

I'm reading Shoe Addicts Anonymous by Beth Harbison (I've been keeping an eye out for her new one that you mentioned, Kelley!). That plus the second installment, Secrets of a Shoe Addict, have had me literally laughing out loud -- to the point where my kids have wanted to know what was so funny.

I love escapist, "fluffy" fiction sometimes, as a reprieve from the scholarly editing I do and the stress of day-to-day life.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:47:37 PM by Normandie »

KelMar

« Reply #129 on: August 31, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »

I love escapist, "fluffy" fiction sometimes, as a reprieve from the scholarly editing I do and the stress of day-to-day life.

There's nothing wrong with that! I'm reading the latest "Miss Julia" book, by Ann B. Ross. They are so funny! Miss Julia is a rather proper Southern lady. She discovers in the first book that her recently deceased but not mourned husband had a small son when the son and his mother show up at her door. She rises above the ramifications of that shock, taking care of them both. "Miss Julia Stir Up Trouble" is number 14 in the series but I still find them hilarious.

I'll have to get back into the Beth Harbison books. So many books, so little time!

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2013, 10:04:39 PM »

Dear Boy -- Tony Fletcher's bio of Keith  -- was truly un-put-downable. Learned a lot! If you haven't read that one yet, I highly recommend it.

I just bought that one and I'm really looking forward to reading it. I always try to motivate myself to get more into classic literature, but it's still music-related books that I end up buying. :-\

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #131 on: August 31, 2013, 11:10:07 PM »

I'm debating which version of Mark Lewisohn's first volume of his new Beatles biography to pre-order.

Standard UK version (mid-October release): 960 pages.

Standard USA version with Endnotes (mid-October release): 1250 pages --- presumably the 960 pages of the UK edition PLUS 290 pages of Endnotes

USA Kindle Edition: 1248 pages

DELUXE UK version (late November release): 1856 pages --- presumably the 1250 pages of the USA edition PLUS about 600 more pages (probably a combination of more text and more endnotes).
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2013, 12:16:40 AM »

So many books, so little time!

The Twilight Zone: Season 1 - CLIP

;D

I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #133 on: September 02, 2013, 03:39:36 AM »

The Twilight Zone: Season 1 - CLIP[/url]
 ;D

Oh, Barry, that poor guy! That's about the kind of luck I have sometimes. My eyes aren't as bad as his yet but still; I wouldn't be doing much reading either if my glasses broke!

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #134 on: September 02, 2013, 03:07:07 PM »

I'm debating which version of Mark Lewisohn's first volume of his new Beatles biography to pre-order.

Standard USA version with Endnotes (mid-October release): 1250 pages --- presumably the 960 pages of the UK edition PLUS 290 pages of Endnotes

Wow, that's a lot of endnotes! I like that, though; nothing frustrates me more than not having a specific fact documented with a footnote, endnote, citation, etc. Maybe it's because I work in scientific publications, where everything has to have a source listed.

I'll have to start saving for that book. It sounds fantastic.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #135 on: September 02, 2013, 03:09:57 PM »

The Twilight Zone: Season 1 - CLIP

;D

Twilight Zone episodes are a bit like Beatles songs for me in that it's nearly impossible to pick a favorite, but that episode is definitely one of them!  :laugh:

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #136 on: September 02, 2013, 03:31:07 PM »

Wow, that's a lot of endnotes! I like that, though; nothing frustrates me more than not having a specific fact documented with a footnote, endnote, citation, etc. Maybe it's because I work in scientific publications, where everything has to have a source listed.

I'll have to start saving for that book. It sounds fantastic.

And Volume One only covers through 1962 and promises to have additional information about the sacking of Pete Best.  I was actually fascinated by the pre-1963 chapters of Lewisohn's Complete Beatles Chronicle. It really showed me another world that the Beatles lived in early on. I'm really looking forward to this book.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #137 on: September 04, 2013, 04:15:36 PM »

I just pre-ordered Volume 1 on Amazon. Ironically, the publication date of October 29 will be my first (non)anniversary after the divorce, so I decided to treat myself. (I can justify ANY book purchase, ha ha.)

Thanks for the heads-up about this; I was unaware of it!

KelMar

« Reply #138 on: September 04, 2013, 05:17:48 PM »

I just pre-ordered Volume 1 on Amazon. Ironically, the publication date of October 29 will be my first (non)anniversary after the divorce, so I decided to treat myself. (I can justify ANY book purchase, ha ha.)

Good for you Kathy; you deserve it! I'm looking forward to these books as well. In a world full of bogus Beatles "experts" Lewisohn stand alone as one I really trust.

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #139 on: September 05, 2013, 01:25:03 AM »

There is a lot of buzz about this.  There are two threads with a total of over 60 pages over at the Hoffman Forums.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33

Page created in 0.677 seconds with 76 queries.