News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33

Author Topic: Books  (Read 87595 times)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
Re: Books
« Reply #180 on: February 11, 2014, 05:17:02 AM »

I'm reading Philip Norman's Rolling Stones book, Symphony for the Devil. It's got me quite fond of Charlie Watts!
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2014, 02:24:07 PM »

I need an unputdownable book to read. What was Reconstructing Amelia all about?

It was so good! It starts out with a mother getting a phone call from her daughter Amelia's high school saying that she was caught cheating and has been expelled. By the time she gets to the school, the daughter is dead: She either fell, jumped, or was pushed off the roof. A few days later, the mom gets an anonymous text: "Amelia didn't jump." Then it goes on to reconstruct the last few months of Amelia's life to find out exactly what happened on the roof.

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #182 on: March 22, 2014, 02:59:56 PM »

Re-reading an old childhood favorite, Summer of My German Soldier. Would be nice to track down the TV movie again sometime.

KelMar

« Reply #183 on: March 22, 2014, 04:45:31 PM »

Re-reading an old childhood favorite, Summer of My German Soldier. Would be nice to track down the TV movie again sometime.

That's one book I could never bring myself to get rid of. I remember watching the movie too.

http://youtu.be/pabuf4Ag4rg

KelMar

« Reply #184 on: March 22, 2014, 05:01:06 PM »

Did you ever read "Go Ask Alice?" Kathy? There was a TV movie for this one too. You might have been a little young for it at the time but I remember watching it even though I probably shouldn't have at age 10! But that book was really controversial when it came out in 1971 and it was still one that everyone read and talked about when I was in junior high, probably because we were led to believe that it was a true story. It was supposedly an anonymous girl's journal which made it all the more interesting. It turns out that it was written by a psychologist with an anti-drug agenda. When I found that out all these years later I felt really duped, not that I would have wanted it to happen to someone and I'm sure it did. The movie is pretty dated but interesting as a commentary on how society was at the time. Really scary stories like this one were rampant.

http://youtu.be/JMM3X3hqj3w
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 05:07:14 PM by In My Life »

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #185 on: March 22, 2014, 11:02:32 PM »

I didn't even think to look for Summer of/With My German Soldier online, Kelley; thanks for posting that!

Did you ever read "Go Ask Alice?" Kathy?

I came very close to picking that up at Barnes & Noble a few weeks ago. I'll try to track it down at the library. I hadn't realized it had been made into a movie. Thanks again.  :)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2014, 03:53:47 PM »

Kathy, Beth Harbison has a new book out. I sort of like the title; "Chose the Wrong Man, Gave Him the Wrong Finger".  ;D

This is coming out in paperback any day now, Kelley; I have it on preorder at Amazon. Can't wait!

KelMar

« Reply #187 on: June 07, 2014, 04:06:56 PM »

^^^
Oh good! I need to put that on my Goodreads "want to read" list.

nimrod

« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2014, 11:33:49 PM »

are there any James Herbert fans on here, I love all his books, when I was younger I couldn't put them down.

'The Secret of Crickley Hall' 

2ch

Kaleidoscope_Eyes

• A Thousand Pages
  • Alles Goed!
    • BananaSpeel
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2014, 12:14:47 AM »

I am reading Ben Elton's Two Brothers . It's ok so far. I did not like his other non comedy book, The First Casulty but I will so far the book I am reading now (which is non comedy) is ok.

Re-reading an old childhood favorite, Summer of My German Soldier. Would be nice to track down the TV movie again sometime
Sounds like something up my alley :)

Arsenal is forever England and England is forever Arsenal

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2014, 12:41:03 AM »

are there any James Herbert fans on here, I love all his books, when I was younger I couldn't put them down.

2ch

I loved his books as a young adult. The Fog, The Dark, The Rats etc. Make me very nostalgic for that time just after I finished school and started work. Haven't read him for a long time though. What's his recent stuff like?

nimrod

« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2014, 03:47:47 AM »

I loved his books as a young adult. The Fog, The Dark, The Rats etc. Make me very nostalgic for that time just after I finished school and started work. Haven't read him for a long time though. What's his recent stuff like?

He died quite young last year and the last few years didn't write, I think Crickley Hall was his last in 2006 if Im not mistaken

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2014, 04:35:25 AM »

He died quite young last year and the last few years didn't write, I think Crickley Hall was his last in 2006 if Im not mistaken

Seems he released one called Ash in 2012.

I need some new reading material. Might look at some more recent works.

nimrod

« Reply #193 on: June 08, 2014, 08:50:30 AM »

I can email you a couple of his e books if you pm me your email addy

anyone else as well who wants them

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #194 on: June 08, 2014, 09:27:24 AM »

I can email you a couple of his e books if you pm me your email addy

anyone else as well who wants them

Ta. Will do. Actually after you mentioned it and went on to my Kindle and downloaded Crickley Hall. There's nothing like a haunted house story.

nimrod

« Reply #195 on: June 08, 2014, 11:49:56 AM »

Ta. Will do. Actually after you mentioned it and went on to my Kindle and downloaded Crickley Hall. There's nothing like a haunted house story.

its a bit creepy moog, great book when you tucked up in bed  ha2ha

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #196 on: June 08, 2014, 12:22:17 PM »

its a bit creepy moog, great book when you tucked up in bed  ha2ha

I'll put Revolution 9 on a repeat loop as background music.  ;)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #197 on: June 08, 2014, 02:50:20 PM »

Oh, that one looks good, as do his other books. I'm going to order some as soon as my next freelance check comes in. Thanks for the tip.

Update: I knew that name sounded familiar! I read Herbert's Domain once as a young teen on a family vacation. I was so freaked out about rats that week. I kept checking under the bed and pestering my parents with questions about rats (i.e., could there be any at the beach). They were like, "Where is this sudden terror of rats coming from?" 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:54:04 PM by Normandie »

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #198 on: June 08, 2014, 10:17:54 PM »

Oh, that one looks good, as do his other books. I'm going to order some as soon as my next freelance check comes in. Thanks for the tip.

Update: I knew that name sounded familiar! I read Herbert's Domain once as a young teen on a family vacation. I was so freaked out about rats that week. I kept checking under the bed and pestering my parents with questions about rats (i.e., could there be any at the beach). They were like, "Where is this sudden terror of rats coming from?"

It was fun being younger and being able to scare yourself with books. Can't quite get that same feeling anymore. Creepiness is about as bad as it gets.

I went off the horror stuff for a long time past the age of around 22 or 23. But I've got back into it. Probably mainly for nostalgic reasons. I like them for a fun light read again now.

KelMar

« Reply #199 on: June 08, 2014, 10:45:50 PM »

I was so freaked out about rats that week. I kept checking under the bed and pestering my parents with questions about rats (i.e., could there be any at the beach). They were like, "Where is this sudden terror of rats coming from?"

I've never been too fond of rats and it doesn't sound like that book would improve those feelings. Still, I always liked this song a lot:

http://youtu.be/T1dAQN5QcZU

Go figure!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 33

Page created in 0.876 seconds with 75 queries.