Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Carnival of Light finally to be released?  (Read 10194 times)

Bobber

Re: Carnival of Light finally to be released?
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2008, 03:52:51 PM »

Interview here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7732572.stm

COL seems to be 14 minutes long!

BlueMeanie

« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 05:00:05 PM »

Quote from: 63
I'm wondering how this is going to be released? As The Beatles' new single?  ;D

This from Mojo:

Paul McCartney has delved back into the realm of Beatles myth by announcing that Carnival Of Light, the band's lost 14-minute experimental track, is likely to be released into the public domain.

Commissioned in 1967 by McCartney's friend and International Times founder Barry Miles, it was used in the Million Volt Light and Sound Rave event at the Roundhouse, its swathes of instrumental chaos inspired by the works of German avant-garde pioneer Karlheinz Stockhausen. McCartney has said it is the sound of The Beatles "going off piste". The piece was slated for inclusion on 1996's Anthology 2 collection but was vetoed off the album by George Harrison and Ringo Starr.

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's Front Row programme, Macca teased millions of Fabs fans by saying: "The time has come for it to get its moment". Describing the recording session itself, he revealed: "I said all I want you to do is just wander around all the stuff, bang it, shout, play it, it doesn't need to make any sense. Hit a drum then wander on to the piano, hit a few notes, just wander around. So that's what we did and then put a bit of an echo on it. It's very free".

The news arrives as we await the release of McCartney's third offering under his modern-day experimental banner The Fireman. Electric Arguments is set for release next Monday (November 24).

You can hear the interview on BBC Radio 4 on Thursday (Nov 20) at 1915 GMT.

The interesting bit being 'released into the public domain'.

Joe

• A Beginning
    • The Beatles Bible
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2008, 05:26:45 PM »

Interesting. I wonder if that's a Mojo journo being imprecise, or whether it's just going to be put out without restrictions. I know which one my money's on...

Out of curiosity I just did a search for carnival of light on http://www.mplcommunications.com/search.asp - couldn't see it listed, but then McCartney does need permission from the other Beatles. Who owns the publishing, I wonder - I bet Dick James didn't get hold of it in 1967. Probably Apple then.
http://www.beatlesbible.com - come and say hi, and PM me any suggestions. It's a work in progress but you'll get the idea...

BlueMeanie

« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2008, 05:57:03 PM »

Quote from: 1509
I wonder - I bet Dick James didn't get hold of it in 1967. Probably Apple then.

I bet they didn't even think to register it at the time. I expect they forgot all about it until Anthology, and then registered it.

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2008, 06:13:51 PM »

Quote from: 216
It's never enough. It's the Beatles. I don't care if they sat around recording themselves breathing. I want to hear it.

Yup, you remind me of myself.  A few weeks back I sat through my entire "LIB" outtakes video.  The audio and visual quality of my bootleg was terrible but I couldn't help but sit and stare.  There's something about the Beatles where you just can't get enough of them...they're addictive.

Your post also reminded me of this:

j-3ixIinLqc

It's the Beatles eating fish and chips, supposedly.  To the average person, this is a video of four guys chowing down on lunch.  Probably not very interesting.  But, to a Beatlemaniac, this is somehow quite fascinating.

Creepy voyeuristic fans, unite!   :P :P ;D

Bobber

« Reply #45 on: November 18, 2008, 07:21:31 PM »

Quote from: 1620

j-3ixIinLqc

It's the Beatles eating fish and chips, supposedly.  To the average person, this is a video of four guys chowing down on lunch.  Probably not very interesting.  But, to a Beatlemaniac, this is somehow quite fascinating.

They did a couple of video's for I Feel Fine in 1965 (I think). There is another version like this, with one of them singing into the ball and Ringo cycling. They didn't ever bother to mime much on this Fish And Chips version.  ;D
The difference with stuff like this and a recording of Love Of The Loved for example, is that it is available if you know where to get it. That is not the case with Carnival Of Light, the 24-minute Helter Skelter and Etcetera for instance.

ShesCominDownFastYesSheIs

• A Beginning
« Reply #46 on: November 18, 2008, 08:50:04 PM »

Check out this article from Rollingstone.com:

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2008/11/17/paul-mccartney-wants-to-release-lost-14-minute-beatles-track

"In an interview with BBC Radio 4, Paul McCartney revealed that he is trying to release a Beatles song that some swore didn
It's great...it sold...it's the bloody Beatles' White Album, shut up

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #47 on: November 18, 2008, 10:03:51 PM »

Quote from: 483
Paul McCartney has delved back into the realm of Beatles myth by announcing that Carnival Of Light, the band's lost 14-minute experimental track, is likely to be released into the public domain.

We'll have to wait for the full interview, of course, but Paul says nothing about "releasing it into the public domain" in the BBC clip Bobber posted. It's probably just journalistic sloppiness, the writer using "public domain" to mean "make available to the public" and being either unaware or uninterested that it also means "unprotected by copyright." And where does he get "likely to be released" from?

As for the clip itself, Paul doesn't sound like he's grinding an axe: it's the interviewer who brings up "Carnival Of Light" and Paul offers a straightforward description of it and how it came about. It's only an excerpt, though. As well, he says that "Carnival" "came to light" during the tape review for Anthology, which perhaps implies that he did indeed forget all about until he heard it again in the nineties.  :)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2008, 10:13:57 PM »

Quote from: 532
"In an interview with BBC Radio 4, Paul McCartney revealed that he is trying to release a Beatles song that some swore didn

Bobber

« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2008, 10:29:43 PM »

It all sounds a bit overreacted by the media if you ask me.

ShesCominDownFastYesSheIs

• A Beginning
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2008, 10:36:40 PM »

Quote from: 63
Check here:  :)

http://dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1226818905/

haha, I suppose excitement got the best of me there and I didn't bother checking to see if it was already posted.  I'm pretty excited about the prospect of this and hope it sees release; not just because it's a Beatles song I've never heard, but because I'm particularly a fan of their experimental side and the music they made in 1967.

Quote from: 1161

The media coverage of this is hilarious: who "swore" it didn't exist?

people who "avant-garde a clue"
It's great...it sold...it's the bloody Beatles' White Album, shut up

Bobber

« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2008, 10:47:36 PM »

Quote from: 532

haha, I suppose excitement got the best of me there and I didn't bother checking to see if it was already posted.  

Threads merged.  :)

mysterymagic

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2008, 10:57:21 PM »

I'm all for it being released.  I love to hear anything that was done by the beatles regardless of how goofy some may think it is.

It could easily be put onto the remasters as a bonus track.  I doubt it is much worse than most 'bonus' tracks that are out there by other artists.

And that eating vidoe was really cool, never saw it before.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2008, 12:38:02 AM »

Quote from: 1620

Yup, you remind me of myself.  A few weeks back I sat through my entire "LIB" outtakes video.  The audio and visual quality of my bootleg was terrible but I couldn't help but sit and stare.  There's something about the Beatles where you just can't get enough of them...they're addictive.

j-3ixIinLqc

Creepy voyeuristic fans, unite!   :P :P ;D

One of my favorite videos.  It's beyond fascinating. I'm particularly captivated by the licking of the lips by Paul for some reason. Wonder why that is? Heh.

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2008, 08:27:28 AM »

oh dear. some interviewer informs about the carnival, paul gives the usual answer and were all f***ed up. same thing with the bob dylan recordings. question: paul, who would you like to make a record with? paul: ehm, well, lets see. it would be fun to do a record with bob dylan. headlines: paul mccartney is going to record with bob dylan! next headline: paul mccartney is going to rerecord carnival of light with bob dylan! its all messed up. i wouldnt count on it to be released at all.
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

BlueMeanie

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2008, 08:35:59 AM »

Wasn't he meant to make an album with Brian Wilson a few years ago? Based on questioning from a journo.

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2008, 08:43:27 AM »

the whole thing is simply and completely out of context. there is not going to be a release of carnival and paul is not going to make a record with bob dylan. and he is not really vegetarian.
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

Bobber

« Reply #57 on: November 19, 2008, 02:11:20 PM »

Don't hold your breath. I just read that Olivia is not pleased with the idea of voting against George's veto.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #58 on: November 19, 2008, 02:14:46 PM »

Quote from: 748
question: paul, who would you like to make a record with? paul: ehm, well, lets see. it would be fun to do a record with bob dylan. headlines: paul mccartney is going to record with bob dylan! next headline: paul mccartney is going to rerecord carnival of light with bob dylan! its all messed up.

It's amazing how easy it is to get a headline:  ;D

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1085285/Memory-lane-Sir-Paul-McCartney-takes-stroll-Abbey-Road-Nancy.html

BlueMeanie

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.476 seconds with 83 queries.