Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: I could use some advice on writing lyrics...  (Read 1556 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
I could use some advice on writing lyrics...
« on: December 12, 2006, 07:31:20 PM »

For years I've been wanting to make a lo-fi singer/songwriter album... With just my vocals and guitar... I've got more than enough (instrumental) songs, I've got all the recording equipment I need, but I've got one tiny little problem: I just can't write lyrics... Since some of you here seem to be very productive lyricists I could really use some advice on how to write lyrics... Anybody?

Re: I could use some advice on writing lyrics...
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 07:37:08 PM »

I'd like to learn how to do this better as well. I've done it before and the way i do it, is sit there with the guitar, and think of some chord sequences that come together well..then think of the sort of themse of structure of the lyrics or whatever, and let them work from there..i have to be in the 'mood' though.

Bobber

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 07:38:07 PM »

Wayne?

A problem with a lot of starting writers and composers is that they're trying to tell everything in a single song. So try to stick to something small, like you write a song on a single riff. Try to make it personal, don't be afraid to make a statement. If it really doesn't work out, try to find a partner...

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 07:43:02 PM »

Writing music is definately not a problem, that has never been hard for me. It's purely the lyrics that I have a problem with. I've got about 30-40 instrumental songs waiting for lyrics...

And finding a partner, I though about that but decided not to do that. In my bands I always have to make compromises and this time I want to do something all by myself.

somedude210

• A Thousand Pages
  • Insanity is just a state of mind
    • Coughlin Computers
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2007, 04:20:57 AM »

well i do lyrics first and then a basic tune comes to mind (granted, since i dont actually have a band and the only instruments i have is a warped, out of tune acoustic guitar from the 70s and a drum set...although i do have a keyboard...)

but it just has to come to mind. alot of the time, its just kinda like one word or phrase, then i just work on the verse its in, then it just kinda all comes together. i wish i could help more but thats just how it works for me.
«if asking, begging and pleading doesn't work, always go with a song and dance number.» ;D
In need of a computer? visit Coughlin Computers http://coughlincomputers.tripod.com

Revolution

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 05:44:36 AM »

I've been writing Lyrics for almost 23 yrs. Just write about what you see, feel, think. It gets a little easier after awhile. But try not to Plagarize !!!!!!!!You Will get sued!!!!!!!!!!

Page created in 0.491 seconds with 48 queries.