Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: most underrated album!  (Read 5709 times)

mr vandebilt

• A Beginning
Re: most underrated album!
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2008, 08:25:39 AM »

Quote from: 1428

I agree here.

'Flowers' and 'Flaming Pie' are often called Paul's 'comeback' albums, and 'TOW' is generally called a 'masterpiece.' I've hardly think 'V+M' is ignored by anyone,  most of the songs wound up being played live around the world. Sometimes these polls are a ridiculous. Who the hell 'underrates' these albums? The public? Out of the 4 of them, 3 were chart toppers.  People rated them favorably enough to buy them, and most 'real' critics liked all 4. What does 'underrate' even mean? It's another one of those weasel words used make someone's opinion look as if it were fact. How about an explanation instead of a buzz word?

Here, let me play: I think Band On The Run is underrated. No, really. I think it's underrated. Don't you? What? I do. You don't think it's underrated? Well I do. I heard someone said they didn't like it. It's 'arguably' his best, isn't it? It's underrated.

What the hell is the point?

I dont think chart position comes into it when the record is 20 to 30+ years old. Being underrated has  nothing to do with sales but the longevity of the record. With the exception of Band on the Run, most of the Wings material is thought of as average.

When you compare a record like Ram to Plasic Ono Band, Imagine or All Things Must Pass then you can say that it is underrated as the quality between these 4 records is hardly huge (i'd say that all are between 4 and 5 stars depending on the individuals personal preference) and they all charted high when they were first released, but from the the music media Ram is never mentioned as a solo beatle great while the other 3 with BOTR are always mentioned.

I dont know why your so upset with someones opinion of whats underrated, if you dont agree just say so no need to compare peoples thoughts as 'weasel' like.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Bobber

« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2008, 10:38:54 AM »

Quote from: 1458

nooooooooooooo you're right about those bonus tracks for Back to the Egg, they weren't released at first, till he had released in 1993, but all of those songs have been recorded during that session, there are some video-clips of them.

Recorded around that time or not, they were NOT on the original album.
Mr Vandebilt wondered why they put Arrow Through Me between Old Siam Sir and Rockestra. The same thing happened here: Arrow Through Me originally ended the a-side of the album. The b-side opened with Rockestra Theme, which is a pretty good choice if you ask me.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2008, 11:22:47 AM »

I think RAM was underrated for a long time , but thats often the case with McCartney albums ?
His 70's albums are pretty decent in my opinion , yes their patchy in places , but the good ones like RAM ,Band On The Run and Venus and Mars are brilliant , i still play them a lot and get a great deal of pleasure from them .
Venus and Mars is a "Stonker"

Bobber

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2008, 11:30:36 AM »

I picked Back To The Egg. Maybe there's a little too much styles on the album and it isn't floating on all places, but McCartney's voice is in a superb condition and there's some really great rockers on the album.

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2008, 04:41:19 PM »

Quote from: 1699

I dont think chart position comes into it when the record is 20 to 30+ years old. Being underrated has  nothing to do with sales but the longevity of the record. With the exception of Band on the Run, most of the Wings material is thought of as average.

When you compare a record like Ram to Plasic Ono Band, Imagine or All Things Must Pass then you can say that it is underrated as the quality between these 4 records is hardly huge (i'd say that all are between 4 and 5 stars depending on the individuals personal preference) and they all charted high when they were first released, but from the the music media Ram is never mentioned as a solo beatle great while the other 3 with BOTR are always mentioned.

I dont know why your so upset with someones opinion of whats underrated, if you dont agree just say so no need to compare peoples thoughts as 'weasel' like.

Tug of War is and was called Paul's masterpiece by most. Band On The Run was called the first album by an ex-Beatle worth buying, and the public confirmed it's love for this album when the 30th anniversary compilation actually re-charted.  How are these albums "underrated"?  

As far as your album comparisons go,  consider something. The Beatles broke up, and riding high on the Beatles momentum, John and George put out a couple of good albums. But that was it. After the momentum died down, their output was quite average.  When you get down to it.... there is nothing particularly adventurous in those first albums. It's just good, safe, middle-of-the-road please-the-masses guitar rock. One of the reasons BOTR is so highly regarded is BECAUSE it is the closest Paul ever came to safe, middle-of-the-road guitar rock.  You'll find that the further away his 70's albums were from this, the worse the "ratings" for that album got.

A quick Google search confirms that theory. Notice how the 70's albums that are less middle-of-the-road guitar-rock oriented (*) generally fare less favorably:

McCartney      4.1 out of 5 stars
Ram 4.2
Band on the Run   4.5

* Red Rose Speedway 3.5
* Back to the Egg   3.9
* Venus and Mars  3.6
* Speed of Sound  3.5

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2008, 04:43:34 PM »

Quote from: 1580
Press To Play is definitely underrated!

With the exception of one or two songs, I think Press to Play is an album of crap. How well would you expect an album of crap to be rated?

swooon gush.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2008, 04:45:46 PM »

Ram 4.2
Band on the Run   4.5

* Red Rose Speedway 3.5
* Back to the Egg   3.9
* Venus and Mars  3.6
* Speed of Sound  3.5

Are those ratings taken from the time of release, or more recent reappraisals? I don't remember Ram being that highly regarded by the critics.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2009, 01:40:20 AM »

Ram 4.2
Band on the Run   4.5

* Red Rose Speedway 3.5
* Back to the Egg   3.9
* Venus and Mars  3.6
* Speed of Sound  3.5

Who's rating these albums? It must be fans and not critics because 'McCartney' recieving 4.1 stars is laughable. Lets all be honest with ourselves, beside 2 or 3 songs, the album really does reek.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2009, 01:48:48 AM »

Quote from: 373

Who's rating these albums? It must be fans and not critics because 'McCartney' recieving 4.1 stars is laughable. Lets all be honest with ourselves, beside 2 or 3 songs, they all really reek.

todd i can't believe what you are saying..........lol ;D

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2009, 01:50:51 AM »

;D :P ;D.............i got a good chuckle out of doctoring that up....i am still laughing...call me...

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2009, 10:29:38 PM »

Quote from: 483

Are those ratings taken from the time of release, or more recent reappraisals? I don't remember Ram being that highly regarded by the critics.

They are recent ratings.  The site I got them from averaged ratings from several sources.

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2009, 10:30:56 PM »

Who's rating these albums? It must be fans and not critics because 'McCartney' recieving 4.1 stars is laughable. Lets all be honest with ourselves, beside 2 or 3 songs, the album really does reek.

Why don't you go pay your mother 50 bucks to nurse you?

BlueMeanie

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 11:20:21 PM »

Whoa boy, you're out of order. This is a discussion forum after all. Just because you disagree with someone doesn't mean you have to be rude to them. Clean it up.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2009, 11:32:10 PM »

I'd go with Speed of Sound even though it isn't on there.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2009, 01:19:12 AM »

Lol. Have you really fallen this low?

Did I offend you because I said 'McCartney' wasnt worthy of 4.1 stars (which it clearly isnt)?

If thats the case, your truly dumber than even I had originally thought.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2009, 01:23:30 AM »

Quote from: 284
;D :P ;D.............i got a good chuckle out of doctoring that up....i am still laughing...call me...

You bastage. I know, I need to give you a ring.

It might be getting real close around here for an old fashioned Moondog pile on.

jjs

• A Beginning
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2009, 04:58:56 AM »

Lol. Have you really fallen this low?

Did I offend you because I said 'McCartney' wasnt worthy of 4.1 stars (which it clearly isnt)?

If thats the case, your truly dumber than even I had originally thought.

You offend me because you behave like an ignorant, immature fool.  I noticed immediately when I first came to this forum that you can't make an intelligent point, or have an intelligent debate, so you get your attention by being a boor. This is a subtle way to ask for trouble.  Believe me, I don't suffer fools easily, and if this is the kind of attention that you want, I have no problem obliging.  

I'd wish I could block your posts because you're an annoyance, but I can't see how to do that.  ;D

BlueMeanie

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2009, 05:10:51 AM »

You offend me because you behave like an ignorant, immature fool.  I noticed immediately when I first came to this forum that you can't make an intelligent point, or have an intelligent debate, so you get your attention by being a boor. This is a subtle way to ask for trouble.  Believe me, I don't suffer fools easily, and if this is the kind of attention that you want, I have no problem obliging.  

I'd wish I could block your posts because you're an annoyance, but I can't see how to do that.  ;D

You can block others posts easily. But you'll probably find your own posts being blocked if you continue to talk to people this way on this forum.

I've asked you before to tone it down, and I'm not going to ask you again. If you can't handle a simple discussion in a civilised manner, then a forum is not for you. Make your own mind up about that.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2009, 11:59:53 AM »

You offend me because you behave like an ignorant, immature fool.  I noticed immediately when I first came to this forum that you can't make an intelligent point, or have an intelligent debate, so you get your attention by being a boor.

This is an accurate description of some of your own behavior here.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2009, 12:33:41 PM »

Stay cool jjs i've enjoyed some of your posts , sprinkle it with a bit of cutting humour .
Can't say i've noticed what your on about with regard to Todd i've always found him to be a gentleman , think we should all try to be that ?
Oh if i was doing the jibe about breast feeding think i would have had a clip from Little Britain " The bitty sketch " you did get a chuckle from me , but it was a bit below the belt  (smile)
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 79 queries.