Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Pete Best's '65 suicide attempt...  (Read 17752 times)

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
Pete Best's '65 suicide attempt...
« on: February 05, 2012, 03:21:14 AM »

Did many of you know Pete Best tried to commit suicide in 1965?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
Re: Pete Best's '65 suicide attempt...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 03:27:08 AM »

So

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 04:00:13 AM »

Ya' stoned Kitna? Was that an answer?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 05:28:36 AM »

Perhaps many of us knew and chose not to discuss it.
I can stay till it's time to go

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 07:20:52 AM »

Ya' stoned Kitna? Was that an answer?

Yeah it was an answer. It means nobody cares. This Pete Best pity party around here is getting old quick.

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 04:40:19 PM »

Yeah it was an answer. It means nobody cares. This Pete Best pity party around here is getting old quick.
LOL...this has NOTHING TO DO with any Pete Best pity party (but you are correct!).

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 03:10:25 AM »

Well that's a fun topic now isn't it
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 04:57:09 PM »

Are these threads ONLY for fun topics?
The point is, why and how did they hide this?
Whether you or he or nimrod like it or not, Pete Best is an interesting story.

BeatlesAtTheirBest

• A Beginning
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 09:51:48 PM »

Yes, it is.
The Beatles (1960-1970) - John, Stu, Paul, George, Pete & Ringo

www.TheUltimateTrip.net

stevejrogers

• A Beginning
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 12:01:30 AM »

Was it a successful attempt?  No.  I'd imagine the reasons for the whys have long since resolved themselves over the course of 40 odd years, so at the end of the day, the story isn't as fascinating as you'd think.

Unless you want to tell us the demons (mental illness ranging from depression to bi-polar, addiction, etc) Pete was battling back then are still very much present and he is still fighting a battle against them today.  And well wouldn't this be better for the 5th Beatle forum as opposed to the general Beatle forum either way?

BeatlesAtTheirBest

• A Beginning
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 11:18:55 AM »

Was it a successful attempt?  No.  I'd imagine the reasons for the whys have long since resolved themselves over the course of 40 odd years, so at the end of the day, the story isn't as fascinating as you'd think.

Unless you want to tell us the demons (mental illness ranging from depression to bi-polar, addiction, etc) Pete was battling back then are still very much present and he is still fighting a battle against them today.  And well wouldn't this be better for the 5th Beatle forum as opposed to the general Beatle forum either way?

Disagree.

To people who are not familiar with the story it can be very fascinating.  It was fascinating enough to me that I made a short film about it.

www.TheUltimateTrip.net

nimrod

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 12:37:29 PM »

interesting how my opinion is criticised in a thread Ive not even posted in  ???

stevejrogers

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2012, 01:35:59 PM »

Disagree.

To people who are not familiar with the story it can be very fascinating.  It was fascinating enough to me that I made a short film about it.

Then put it in the 5th Beatle forum then.

What are you disagreeing with exactly?  Billy Joel made an unsuccessful suicide attempt in the late 1960s as well.  While he does have demons he is battling in terms of alcoholism, to me as a Billy Joel fan, I don't see a correlation between the Joel at that moment and the Joel since starting his rock career.  Billy may have battled bouts of depressions in the ensuing decades, but AFAIK he was way beyond thoughts of ending it all during those bouts.

So, again, if you want to say the reasons for Pete's suicide attempt are beyond severe depression about his life at that point in time (or perhaps a severe need for attention as sometimes unsuccessful attempts can be seen as) and are still very much a part of Pete's life (as I said, bi-polar or some other mental illness, substance addiction, etc) then that makes it an interesting look at Pete as a person beyond the music.

BeatlesAtTheirBest

• A Beginning
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2012, 04:00:45 PM »

Then put it in the 5th Beatle forum then.

What are you disagreeing with exactly?  Billy Joel made an unsuccessful suicide attempt in the late 1960s as well.  While he does have demons he is battling in terms of alcoholism, to me as a Billy Joel fan, I don't see a correlation between the Joel at that moment and the Joel since starting his rock career.  Billy may have battled bouts of depressions in the ensuing decades, but AFAIK he was way beyond thoughts of ending it all during those bouts.

So, again, if you want to say the reasons for Pete's suicide attempt are beyond severe depression about his life at that point in time (or perhaps a severe need for attention as sometimes unsuccessful attempts can be seen as) and are still very much a part of Pete's life (as I said, bi-polar or some other mental illness, substance addiction, etc) then that makes it an interesting look at Pete as a person beyond the music.

Put what in the 5th Beatle forum?

I am disagreeing with your statement.  Nada Surf said
"Are these threads ONLY for fun topics?
Whether you or he or nimrod like it or not, Pete Best is an interesting story."

You responded to her by saying...

I agree with Nada Surf and disagree with you. 

I also reject the idea that comments regarding Pete Best or Stu Sutcliffe belong in a 5th Beatle forum.  That's the crappy logic I am fighting against.  As far as I am concerned the term "5th Beatle" is a term for people like Brian Epstein, George Martin, Murray The K, Neil Aspinall or Derek Taylor.  People who were never actually in the group.  There were 6 Beatles and Pete and Stu were 2 of them.  They weren't "5th Beatles".  They were Beatles.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:32:52 PM by BeatlesAtTheirBest »

www.TheUltimateTrip.net

stevejrogers

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2012, 05:13:40 PM »

What about Jimmy Nicol or Andy White?

Wasn't Rod Davis (IIRC correctly it was Rod, someone correct me if it was one of the others) literally kicked out of the Quarrymen by John Lennon hitting him over the head with his washboard?  Should we hear the Quarrymen's stories just as feverishly as you want the light shown on Pete and Stu?  And while we are at it, do you want Paul to reunite with them, along with Pete Shotten?

Don't make it sound like I'm p*ssing on the memory of Stuart Sutcliffe or on Pete Best, as I detect you might be in your tone.  Its more that, and I know I'm playing a moderator role that I probably shouldn't be, but this being the general Beatle forum here is not the appropriate place to discuss an incident in Pete's life that occurred after his time with The Beatles ended.  A better course of action, if you don't like the whole "5th Beatle" idea would to petition the mods/admins to set up a separate forum dedicated to Stu and Pete akin to the four solo Beatle forums.

BeatlesAtTheirBest

• A Beginning
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 06:35:13 PM »

What about Jimmy Nicol or Andy White?

Wasn't Rod Davis (IIRC correctly it was Rod, someone correct me if it was one of the others) literally kicked out of the Quarrymen by John Lennon hitting him over the head with his washboard?  Should we hear the Quarrymen's stories just as feverishly as you want the light shown on Pete and Stu?  And while we are at it, do you want Paul to reunite with them, along with Pete Shotten?

Don't make it sound like I'm p*ssing on the memory of Stuart Sutcliffe or on Pete Best, as I detect you might be in your tone.  Its more that, and I know I'm playing a moderator role that I probably shouldn't be, but this being the general Beatle forum here is not the appropriate place to discuss an incident in Pete's life that occurred after his time with The Beatles ended.  A better course of action, if you don't like the whole "5th Beatle" idea would to petition the mods/admins to set up a separate forum dedicated to Stu and Pete akin to the four solo Beatle forums.

Again, everybody else you mention WERE NOT BEATLES!!!   Sutcliffe & Best were.  You keep wanting to ignor that fact.

www.TheUltimateTrip.net

The Swine

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 06:43:00 PM »

whos pete best?
THE INTERNET IS NOT A PLACE FOR 13 YEAR OLDS

stevejrogers

• A Beginning
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 07:12:28 PM »

Again, everybody else you mention WERE NOT BEATLES!!!   Sutcliffe & Best were.  You keep wanting to ignor that fact.

Jimmy Nicol wasn't a Beatle? 

Okay sure that would mean opening the door to calling people from Billy Preston, to Eric Clapton and hell Mick & Keith (based on their contribution to You Know My Name) and being in the room for All You Need Is Love video) Beatles, but for THAT portion of the tour Jimmy Nicol was just as much an official Beatle as Billy Preston is for being credited on the Let It Be/Get Back sessions.

And why do you sound like you are angry at me?  I'm not downplaying Pete's contribution and I'm sure the hell not downplaying Stu's.  My point is more is there a point beyond telling the real story and your desire to see Paul and Ringo do a concert and studio release with Pete Best?

Paul McCartney WAS a Quarryman.  That just as much a fact as Pete Best was a Beatle.  John, Paul and George broke away from that group, Rod Davis, Pete Shotten and the others stayed together and kept the Quarrymen name.  Sure there isn't any intrigue, or at least no where near the extent of Stu's leaving the group to stay in Hamburg and Pete's firing and being replaced, but why does your nostalgic need for closure end with Pete Best and not with the Quarrymen?

Nada Surf

• A Beginning
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2012, 09:33:07 PM »

interesting how my opinion is criticised in a thread Ive not even posted in  ???
LOL..Sorry Nim! I meant Tkitna! I had you two mixed up..again, my apologies.

BeatlesAtTheirBest

• A Beginning
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2012, 09:35:56 PM »

Jimmy Nicol wasn't a Beatle? 

Okay sure that would mean opening the door to calling people from Billy Preston, to Eric Clapton and hell Mick & Keith (based on their contribution to You Know My Name) and being in the room for All You Need Is Love video) Beatles, but for THAT portion of the tour Jimmy Nicol was just as much an official Beatle as Billy Preston is for being credited on the Let It Be/Get Back sessions.

And why do you sound like you are angry at me?  I'm not downplaying Pete's contribution and I'm sure the hell not downplaying Stu's.  My point is more is there a point beyond telling the real story and your desire to see Paul and Ringo do a concert and studio release with Pete Best?

Paul McCartney WAS a Quarryman.  That just as much a fact as Pete Best was a Beatle.  John, Paul and George broke away from that group, Rod Davis, Pete Shotten and the others stayed together and kept the Quarrymen name.  Sure there isn't any intrigue, or at least no where near the extent of Stu's leaving the group to stay in Hamburg and Pete's firing and being replaced, but why does your nostalgic need for closure end with Pete Best and not with the Quarrymen?

I am talking about The Beatles, the most successful entertainment group in the history of the world.  I am not talking about the Quarrymen, a group that has had 13 members of which 3 members were also Beatles.  The other 10 weren't.

As for Jimmy Nichol, Billy Preston, Tony Sheridan and others like that.  Yes, they played with The Beatles.  Nichol even got a Beatle haircut.  But none of them were actually MEMBERS of the group. (Caps for emphasis, not shouting).  Best & Sutcliffe were actually real, original members of The Beatles.  Sutcliffe  helped name the group and Best was not only the most popular member of the group, but he also put in more time drumming live with the band in his 2 years than Ringo Starr did in his entire career.

Stu Sutcliffe & Pete Best were members of The Beatles.  The others you keep talking about weren't.

:)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 09:41:42 PM by BeatlesAtTheirBest »

www.TheUltimateTrip.net
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 1.04 seconds with 83 queries.