Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Elvis Presley  (Read 12255 times)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
Re: Elvis Presley
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 10:00:18 PM »

Rock 'n' Rollers dig Elvis, don't get me wrong, but rock 'n' roll in the mid-to-late 50s threw up hundreds of heroes (some famous, some female, some barely known outside of their home town) and your average rock 'n' roller, from my constant reading of the subject, does seem to put Jerry Lee, Chuck Berry, Buddy, Larry Williams et al above, or at least on a par with, Elvis.

If you only look at the rock & roll years, the 1950s material, it could be argued that Jerry Lee and Chuck were maybe better than Elvis. But if you look at everything they did, including the 60s and 70s material, Elvis wins by a landslide...

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 09:02:54 AM »

Yeah, fair enough, but who cares about the years after Elvis joined the army?
John and Paul didn't. I'm not sure I do!

It's a contentious notion about Chuck anyway.
The Stones' first 45 in 1963 was a Chuck song from 1961 and the whole London R'n'B scene from 1962 to 1965 was made almost entirely in his image, not Elvis's.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 02:20:41 PM »

Yeah, fair enough, but who cares about the years after Elvis joined the army?

A whole lot of people do. The '68 Comeback Special, the Stax sessions and the Aloha From Hawaii concert, for instance, were pretty amazing.

In fact, some of his very best songs were recorded in the late 60s and early 70s. Suspicious Minds, Burning Love, American Trilogy, My Boy, If I Can Dream... And what were Chuck and Jerry Lee doing in those years?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:50:07 PM by Joost »

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2015, 04:54:29 PM »

It's largely irrelevant, Joost, it's what The Beatles, The Stones, Miles Davis, Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix were doing in the late 60s that matters.
Elvis's period of influence, a very important period mind you, had long gone.....as had Chuck's and Jerry Lee's.

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2015, 05:49:50 PM »

It's largely irrelevant, Joost, it's what The Beatles, The Stones, Miles Davis, Bob Dylan and Jimi Hendrix were doing in the late 60s that matters.

Maybe it was irrelevant to The Beatles and The Stones and everyone else who mattered in the 1960s. But to this day there are still people who are influenced by Elvis Presley in one way or another. And to anyone who grew up in or after the 1970s, 'Suspicious Minds' and 'In the Ghetto' are probably just as relevant as 'That's All Right' and 'Heartbreak Hotel'.

stevie

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2015, 11:28:11 PM »

That early stuff still sounds wonderful (see also Buddy, Gene, Larry, Chuck etc!).
Funnily enough, although we get 'Elvis sighted on the moon' type stories and news of items being sold for silly money in auctions, I think that Elvis is badly served in the main.
This guy would easily get in a list of the 100 most important people of the 20th Century.

He would be in the top 20 of that list, maybe even the top 10 along with the Beatles and probably Marilyn Monroe depending on the theme of the list. I have never bought any Elvis records but I love a few of his
songs and have read a few books about him. So I appreciate his enormous influence on music.

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2015, 02:35:19 AM »

Being the most impersonated human being on the planet there's no arguing with the gigantic shadow cast by Elvis. As a solo entertainer and an individual icon he's pretty untouchable.

Plenty of music (as opposed to showbiz) fans play the "what if.." card speculating on the impact and influence Buddy Holly may well have gone onto achieve had he lived, but let's not overlook the argument that, had Buddy himself not heard Elvis in '55, his own sound would probably never have evolved and blossomed as it did. Certainly in his brief career Buddy produced more quality numbers than the (overrated IMO) Jerry Lee Lewis (two good songs) and Chuck Berry (one tune re-using different lyrics) put together. Little Richard could blow the lot of them (apart from Presley) off the stage anyway and was arguably a more palpable influence on the fabs than anyone...

Interesting to note that The Beatles never officially attempted an Elvis cover version? Did they perhaps feel this would have been sacrilege, whereas the back catalogues of Holly/Perkins/Berry/Richard etc were all fair game and ripe for sampling?

I'd put it this way: The Beatles loved Gene Vincent, Jerry Lee Lewis, Eddie Cochran, The Everly Brothers...
they adored Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly and Little Richard...
but they worshipped Elvis Presley.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2015, 07:09:56 AM »

Hey oldbrownshoe!  You would get a kick out of this movie...

This teenage boy kidnaps Elvis Presley in 1972.  He wants to cheer up his depressed mom who is a BIG Elvis fan.  He gets Elvis to trim his sideburns and dress in his dad's 1957 clothes and become the savage young Elvis Presley he used to be...

Watch his mom's reaction...

Elvis - Love me

I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2015, 07:24:47 AM »

A whole lot of people do. The '68 Comeback Special, the Stax sessions and the Aloha From Hawaii concert, for instance, were pretty amazing.

In fact, some of his very best songs were recorded in the late 60s and early 70s. Suspicious Minds, Burning Love, American Trilogy, My Boy, If I Can Dream... And what were Chuck and Jerry Lee doing in those years?

Right, Joost.  Even with his 4 inch collar, he was still The King...

Elvis Presley - Burning Love (live 1973) HQ 0815007

Thank you.  Thank you very much.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2015, 09:07:21 AM »

I think The Beatles worshipped Buddy more than Elvis.....can anyone get on the blower to Paul to find out?

Fair enough, you all win, and if people like all the 'Guitar Man' stuff, and even films like 'Paradise, Hawaiian Style', who am I to argue?

I've just made it a personal mission on my part to never, that's NEVER, own a record by anyone wearing a jump-suit.
Ain't gonna happen, I'm afraid.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2015, 09:26:02 AM »

You're cutting yourself out of the entire Gary Glitter catalogue OBS. Can you give that much up?  ;D

Mr Mustard

• Getting Better
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »

I've just made it a personal mission on my part to never, that's NEVER, own a record by anyone wearing a jump-suit.
Ain't gonna happen, I'm afraid.

Really? Ain't That A Shame.....

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2015, 01:09:05 PM »

Really? Ain't That A Shame.....

Lol.  Beat me to it.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2015, 05:21:04 PM »

If that was a picture of John in the 60s I'd be mortified, Mr. Mustard.
It isn't, therefore I'm not!

KelMar

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2017, 03:21:49 AM »

Hard to believe we're marking the 40th anniversary of Elvis' death.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2017, 03:33:43 AM »

Elvis is not dead...

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9YfEZtQBtY" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9YfEZtQBtY</a>

...He just went home.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXGXCXifcWg" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXGXCXifcWg</a>

Thank-you.  Thank-you very much.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2017, 05:58:49 AM »

The king rocked

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWVMXLSS1cA" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWVMXLSS1cA</a>

KelMar

« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2017, 04:10:35 AM »

^^^
  8)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2017, 03:12:43 AM »

The king rocked

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qka6JrKUM5U" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qka6JrKUM5U</a>

KelMar

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2018, 09:13:03 PM »

This picture makes me laugh. I think it’s from Elvis’s first appearance on the Ed Sullivan show.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.544 seconds with 84 queries.