Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: "Nobody Told Me" - too polished to be a demo?  (Read 8274 times)

Paul Doherty

• A Beginning
Re: "Nobody Told Me" - too polished to be a demo?
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 04:02:45 PM »

I reckon this one was unfinished,when listening to it again last night i noticed that john didnt have his distinctive vocal 'effect' while singing(the usual double track/heavy reverb etc),but still its sounds really fresh.I also noticed(being a studio geek) a fault in the guitar track around 1.17,it misses a beat.
But apart from that,i love the track.Id love to know the whole story of how much John got finished before he died.I feel the bit where he shouts 'roll' is missing something,id imagine he would have had a killer lick in there somewhere instead of a more strum-like guitar track on there.......anyway

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 05:00:21 PM »

Quote from: 979
I feel the bit where he shouts 'roll' is missing something,id imagine he would have had a killer lick in there somewhere instead of a more strum-like guitar track on there.......anyway

That's my favourite part of the track!  8)

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2009, 01:09:51 AM »

Speaking of 'Nobody Told Me', I wonder who drummed on that song? Its sure sounds like Newmark but there was two other drummers and I havent found the definate answer yet.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2009, 10:22:57 AM »

What is it about Beatles, and their early solo output? They never seem to credit session musicians. I've got plenty of albums from the 60's and early 70's that have session musicians credited. Why can't they?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2009, 02:11:41 PM »

They want to make it tough on everybody I suppose. I'm with you though Blue, just break down the songs for us and we wouldnt have to complain.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 02:35:04 PM »

^ And we wouldn't have to type so much!

Gary910

• Getting Better
  • Beatles Collector
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 03:46:02 PM »

I think this one was just a few hours worth of work away from being finished.

I like the words, but I can easily imagine John deciding after it was declared finished to throw it away and declare it not worthy. The lyrics somehow never flow in a way that John had a knack for. Still better than many songwriters best efforts.
And now you've changed your mind, I see no reason to change mine --Lennon/McCartney

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 04:41:14 PM »

Quote from: 1916
I like the words, but I can easily imagine John deciding after it was declared finished to throw it away and declare it not worthy. The lyrics somehow never flow in a way that John had a knack for. Still better than many songwriters best efforts.

This sums it up in my opinion. I think I like the song because its fun and doesnt take it self seriously. John and Paul could write these kind of tunes on a daily basis. I also like the message. We all have bad days. I thought it was an absolutly perfect song for Ringo.

freakchic9

• A Thousand Pages
  • =D
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 11:42:22 PM »

PI1MxAKKEAQ

I found a great video of Noobody Told Me. I guess you could call it a pre-demo to the other demo.

8)
<|\
 |
 ^

Too cool, yah?

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2009, 12:04:31 AM »

Whatever happened to good ol Buttmunker?

alexis

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 01:28:37 AM »

Quote from: 682
Whatever happened to good ol Buttmunker?

Or the most prolific of mods, Geoff?
I love John,
I love Paul,
And George and Ringo,
I love them all!

Alexis

dylanjohn

• A Beginning
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2009, 12:20:46 AM »

Quote from: 185

Bless. Personally, I'd put Paul's "Arrow Through Me" as much closer to Hall and Oates than Lennon ever got, but there you go. And Toto - ????
The pinnacle of eighties rock?? Surely you jest. In a competion with acts like   REM, The Smiths, The Pixies, The Cure, Husker Du.......???? Or are we talking the pinnacle of bland easy-on-the-ears FM rock, in which case you may have a point. But even then he's got to fight off The Police, U2, Simple Minds, Bowie....

REM, The Smiths, The Pixies, The Cure, Husker Du were all good bands, but not mainstream like John was.
Maybe REM in the 90's, and the Cure a little bit, but they were no where near as famous as Lennon was.

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2009, 12:27:55 AM »

i don't know about the cure being a less than famous band...everybody enjoys them...i think they are doorish....r e m is good too...i think john would have liked them...

dylanjohn

• A Beginning
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2009, 12:43:23 AM »

I think Lennon would have eventually recorded with Frank Black, Kurt Cobain, and Thom Yorke.

Imagine the possibilities....

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2009, 02:24:18 AM »

I like the lyrics and the vocal , i would have given Ringo Cleanup Time and put this on Double Fantasy instead.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2009, 08:09:36 AM »

I'm amazed this mediocre song has managed 3 pages of posts!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2009, 09:10:48 AM »

Quote from: 483
I'm amazed this mediocre song has managed 3 pages of posts!

Eh, its still one of my favorites although I know where your coming from. No masterpiece for sure, but the light hearted tone of the song is the allure for me. John didnt have a lot of them and even this one is negative in its own aspect.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2009, 08:01:07 PM »

Quote from: 1850
I think Lennon would have eventually recorded with Frank Black, Kurt Cobain, and Thom Yorke.

Imagine the possibilities....

I`ve read that Brian Ferry from Roxy Music wanted to collaborate with John. So maybe they would have recorded something? In 1981 Brian recorded Jealous Guy.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2009, 09:42:25 AM »

Quote from: 1850

REM, The Smiths, The Pixies, The Cure, Husker Du were all good bands, but not mainstream like John was.
Maybe REM in the 90's, and the Cure a little bit, but they were no where near as famous as Lennon was.

So many things to say.
I'm very impressed that only nine months into the eighties Lennon managed to produce the pinnacle of that decade's mainstream rock.
Prior to John's death Double Fantasy failed to make even the top ten in the UK or the US and was sliding down the charts. This makes it unclear that whether prior to MDC's intervention the world at large regarded that any pinnacle was being reached, or indeed whether Lennon was particularly popular.
Elvis was an exceptionally popular artist in the seventies (maybe the most successful solo act in terms of chart action?? ), mostly propelled by renewed interest following his untimely death. Does this then mean that some of his seventies work is the pinnacle of that decade's music?
Mind you, isn't eighties mainstream music generally regarded as bland, overly slick, soulless radio fodder, generally regarded as the nadir of rock's short life? In that case you may have a point, though I'm not sure that being top of that rather turgid pile is something John would have been particularly proud.
don't follow leaders

BlueMeanie

« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2009, 10:44:42 AM »

Quote from: 185
So many things to say.
I'm very impressed that only nine months into the eighties Lennon managed to produce the pinnacle of that decade's mainstream rock.
Prior to John's death Double Fantasy failed to make even the top ten in the UK or the US and was sliding down the charts. This makes it unclear that whether prior to MDC's intervention the world at large regarded that any pinnacle was being reached, or indeed whether Lennon was particularly popular.
Elvis was an exceptionally popular artist in the seventies (maybe the most successful solo act in terms of chart action?? ), mostly propelled by renewed interest following his untimely death. Does this then mean that some of his seventies work is the pinnacle of that decade's music?

I remember DF being sympathetically received at the time, though you could read between the lines. Too much Yoko. At least Paul kept Linda further in the background, even if she was in his band.

The Elvis thing never ceases to amaze me. People seem to forget that 99% of his output was total pants.
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 90 queries.