Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Our World  (Read 1295 times)

Bobber

Our World
« on: July 23, 2007, 10:01:52 AM »

And what are our thoughts on the broadcast?

Found this:

Beatles' performance 'criticised in UK'

Beamed around the world in a broadcasting landmark, the 1967 Beatles performance of All You Need Is Love for the first live trans-Atlantic satellite transmission was regarded as a defining cultural moment in Britain... except by the viewers.

The Fab Four - Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr - played to an estimated audience of 300 million who watched the band during the broadcast, which included contributions from around the world.

But newly released documents revealed some viewers considered the Beatles unworthy of representing Britain in the show, the Sunday Telegraph newspaper reported.

The band, who wrote the song All You Need Is Love for the broadcast, appeared alongside opera singer Maria Callas and artist Pablo Picasso on the "Our World" broadcast in June 1967.

A log of viewer comments to the BBC, which screened the program in Britain, released under Freedom of Information laws, shows Britain's segment was heavily criticised.

"Have we nothing better to offer? Surely this isn't the image of what we are like. What a dreadful impression they must have given the rest of the world," one comment read, the newspaper reported.

Another viewer, impressed by contributions from elsewhere, said "after all the culture ... shown by the other countries, the Beatles were the absolute dregs".

"We did not do ourselves justice," another viewer commented.

The program also featured footage of a tram yard in Melbourne, an Alberta ranch and Tokyo's subway network.

Comments from viewers were not passed to the band's management, the newspaper reported. Instead, the BBC told the Beatles their performance had been well-received.

Sheet Music Plus Homepage

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: Our World
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 10:22:41 AM »

I think Britain deliberately chose The Beatles to promote The Swinging London image. Mr wilson very much was courting the youth vote.
don't follow leaders

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 12:06:46 PM »

Quote from: 63
And what are our thoughts on the broadcast?

Found this:

Beatles' performance 'criticised in UK'

Beamed around the world in a broadcasting landmark, the 1967 Beatles performance of All You Need Is Love for the first live trans-Atlantic satellite transmission was regarded as a defining cultural moment in Britain... except by the viewers.

The Fab Four - Paul McCartney, John Lennon, George Harrison and Ringo Starr - played to an estimated audience of 300 million who watched the band during the broadcast, which included contributions from around the world.

But newly released documents revealed some viewers considered the Beatles unworthy of representing Britain in the show, the Sunday Telegraph newspaper reported.

The band, who wrote the song All You Need Is Love for the broadcast, appeared alongside opera singer Maria Callas and artist Pablo Picasso on the "Our World" broadcast in June 1967.

A log of viewer comments to the BBC, which screened the program in Britain, released under Freedom of Information laws, shows Britain's segment was heavily criticised.

"Have we nothing better to offer? Surely this isn't the image of what we are like. What a dreadful impression they must have given the rest of the world," one comment read, the newspaper reported.

Another viewer, impressed by contributions from elsewhere, said "after all the culture ... shown by the other countries, the Beatles were the absolute dregs".

"We did not do ourselves justice," another viewer commented.

footage of a tram yard in Melbourne, an Alberta ranch and Tokyo's subway network.

Comments from viewers were not passed to the band's management, the newspaper reported. Instead, the BBC told the Beatles their performance had been well-received.

One of the viewers actually preferred to watch footage of a tram yard in Melbourne, and Tokyo's subway being built rather than a world-wide message of peace and love! Maybe the problem is that you often don't realise history is being made when it's actually happening right in front of your nose in - black and white!

Some viewers no doubt thought the contribution submitted by the UK was simply footage of a gang of drugged up hippies playing their dreadful music! Just listen to some of the comments made during The Beatles' 1969 roof-top performance and you'll get an idea of just how square some people were back in the Sixties (although some people probably still are today of course)!

I think the historical importance of the Our World broadcast and The Beatles' contribution is there for all to see now - The Beatles got what it was all about - love is all you need.

However, the Our World project manager, Aubrey Singer, had this to say about The Beatles' participation:

"That took 90 phone calls, to get the bloody Beatles to participate. They were just so obdurate. Is that the word I want? They didn't feel it was important to them. Thank God we got 'em, because we needed something like that to lift the whole thing."

So HE was clearly impressed by their contribution!

Here is a list of some of the other highlights from Our World TV broadcasr:

Canada's Canadian Broadcasting Corporation had Marshall McLuhan being interviewed in a Toronto T.V. control room.

The United States' segment about the Glassboro, New Jersey, conference between American president Lyndon Johnson and Soviet premier Alexey Kosygin. Since Our World insisted that no politicians be shown, only the house where the conference was being held was televised. The National Educational Television's (NET) Dick McCutcheon ended up talking about the impact of the new television technology on a global scale.

The show switched back to Canada - segments that were beamed worldwide were from a Ghost Lake, Alberta ranch, showing a rancher, and his cutting horse, cutting out a herd of cattle. The last Canadian segment was from Kitsilano Beach, located in Vancouver, British Columbia's Point Grey district.

The program shifted continents to Asia, with Tokyo, Japan being the next segment - they showed the construction of the Tokyo Subway system.

The equator was crossed for the first time in the program when it switched to the Australian contribution - their segment dealt with Trams leaving the Hammer Street Depot in Melbourne with Australian Broadcasting Corporation's Brian King explaining that sunrise was many hours away as it was winter there. A scientific segment, later on in the broadcast, was also included that dealt with the Parkes Observatory tracking a deep space object.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 12:38:38 PM »

Blimey, who'd want to see the Beatles after that lot ;D

Some things to remember. The type of people who telephoned the BBC in those days were card carrying Telegraph readers who would rather be listening to Beethoven than watching 'those long haired layabouts'. These kinds of people were interested in all the other stuff. They would undoubtedly rather have had something live from the Royal Festival Hall, or a bit of Shakespeare.

The language of the BBC at the time was very much one of received pronunciation - that is, a form of pronunciation of the English language which has been long perceived as uniquely prestigious among British accents. The upper classes very much thought of it as 'their' station, and they were not pop music lovers. They would have seen The Beatles participation as an outrage; an insult to all that was 'great' about Britain. And in 1967 they were precisely the people who could afford to have their own telephone! The working classes used phone boxes, and you wouldn't have bothered to go out to one of those to make a complaint call.

The masses largely thought of The Beatles performance as the highlight of the evening, and watched the programme just for that.

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 01:23:24 PM »

Some VERY good points there BM!

We didn't get a telphone until about 1975! And I'm not kidding!

harihead

• A Thousand Pages
  • Keep spreading the love
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 07:33:06 PM »

As an American, I shouldn't be allowed to comment. Besides, The End already said more eloquently what I was going to point out from the pasted article.

This just slayed me. With the benefit of hindsight, we see that Britain had good reason to be proud of the Beatles, and still should be. Remember Hugh Grant's speech in "Love Actually" about all the great things about Britain? Beatles were right up there with Shakespeare-- and Harry Potter!

Well done, guys. Or, as Al said, "you often don't realise history is being made when it's actually happening right in front of your nose." :)
All you've got to do is choose love.  That's how I live it now.  I learned a long time ago, I can feed the birds in my garden.  I can't feed them all. -- Ringo Starr, Rolling Stone magazine, May 2007<br />

The Fox Drummer

• A Beginning
  • I'm a drummer, not a wetnurse.
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 10:23:05 PM »

I don't think it was very typically British, frankly, but I still loved it. ;) I'm not at all surprised that some people were outraged, etc. about it, but that's probably because it was pretty far out, man, and of course with anything that unique popping up unexpectedly, there's bound to be some people who were ruffled about the Beatles - especially these unfamiliar, hippie, colourful Beatles - representing an entire country which is stereotypically known for tea, good manners, and cool accents.
<br />One thing I can tell you is you got to be free...

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 10:18:16 PM »

You have to admit that that reaction is very typically British. I only wish we had broadcast something as cool as that!! And if we had we'd never have stopped talking about it. Which again is a contrast to the Brits. I mean, you guys don't really go on about all the awesome things that come out of your country do you? A very reserved people I think. Or modest? Maybe uptight? What do I know.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 08:53:10 AM »

Quote from: 216
A very reserved people I think. Or modest? Maybe uptight? What do I know.

All of the above! It's a very typical reaction of that period. It didn't suit the ruling classes at all. You also have to consider that some people may have been rather taken aback, because the last time they saw The Beatles on TV, the were suit wearing moptops.

Page created in 0.526 seconds with 57 queries.