Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: It's All Relative  (Read 2249 times)

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
It's All Relative
« on: June 22, 2012, 03:34:13 PM »

Excuse what might seem to be major bragging here. It's not my intention, but maybe somebody can cite some information that could help me.

In doing genealogical research on my family, I learned that I am a descendant of Sir Thomas Stanley, 1st Baron Stanley. It didn't occur to me at first, but I later wondered if this was the same Stanley family from which John's mother, Julia Stanley, descended. Sir Thomas lived in Lancashire, close to present day Liverpool. There are several Beatles biographies that state that Julia did indeed descend from the same Thomas Stanley. If true, that would mean that I can call myself John's cousin. That's all well and good. Certainly, by pure accident of birth, it would be a cool claim to make. But I've never seen a complete genealogical study of John's family from Thomas down to Julia, and quite often, claims of relationships are made based on incorrect information.

If anyone here stumbles upon John's genealogy (Stanley, not Lennon), please let me know.
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

Yeshelloitsmehereagain

• Getting Better
Re: It's All Relative
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 09:39:26 PM »

Genealogy is very interesting. I'm aware Paul has had a look at his ancestors, I think Standing Stone is influenced by it. But he's never said much about them.

It would be an interesting book if it was accurate. I guess there's nothing to stop you researching someone else's family tree. Especially if you feel it may concern your own of course.

TomMo

• A Beginning
  • You Can't Do That
Re: It's All Relative
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 03:30:02 PM »

Genealogy is very interesting. I'm aware Paul has had a look at his ancestors, I think Standing Stone is influenced by it. But he's never said much about them.

It would be an interesting book if it was accurate. I guess there's nothing to stop you researching someone else's family tree. Especially if you feel it may concern your own of course.

Right. Thanks. I've been to all the usual genealogical sites, and I'm very surprised that no one has posted anything connecting Sir Thomas to John Lennon. Obviously, at least one Beatle biographer learned that there IS a connection, but didn't cite his source. Lots of politicians and other big celebrities have had their ancestries published. You'd think John's family history might be interesting to research.

Maybe I should call Liverpool's historical society and see what they have.
"Beware of soft shoe shufflers"

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 39 queries.