Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Why do some John people dislike Paul so much?  (Read 16785 times)

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Why do some John people dislike Paul so much?
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2009, 07:11:23 PM »

I see your point. Yes, Paul first was in bands before he started on his own. You are right, but you shouldn`t take the distinction too literally. If you don`t like the comparison I am ready to withdraw it. Nevertheless, the guys mentioned, to my mind, have more rockish aura than he.

mr vandebilt

• A Beginning
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2009, 10:16:24 PM »

I dont understand what this rockish 'aura' is. I really don't see why people think Mick Jagger is some kind of rock star, all he's really done outside of music (which he is awesome at) is gyrate and sleep with a lot of women younger than him. In any walk of life when an older man sleeps with women half his age its embaressing but when Jagger does it its because he' s nrock and roll( although to be fair if in 30 years time i had the oppertunities he had i'd be a happy man).

How was Lennon rock and roll, he had servents, he baked bread,  he had to get permission from Yoko for everything, such as who he could cheat on her with. He was not rock and roll, an icon yes, a revoloutionary maybe.

Lennon was an amazing character i just dont understand why people feel the need to make him out to be what he wasnt

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2009, 10:35:17 PM »

We have already argued about the revolutionary thing. For me it is very strange that you call him a revolutionary icon. He was no revolutionary at all. Just a person who expressed his views on politics, calling to put an end to the war in Vietnam. The anti-war movement was very strong then and he tried to contribute his voice to the movement. But it doesn`t mean he was a revolutionary. He didn`t try to overthrow the existing regimes. My country suffered from the revolutionaries in 1917. These were terrorists, theoretical or practical, and Lennon was no politician, cause one has to be at least a politician to be a revolutionary.
Why do you think that a rocker can`t live in a house and bake bread?
What I am speaking about is his music. It`s all the same for me how he lived and where he lived. They all had large houses, and what of that? I am happy for them, cause they deserved it, earned it with their own talents. For me these artists are rockers (C.Martin may be withdrawn).

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #43 on: March 25, 2009, 12:17:55 AM »

Quote from: 1699
How was Lennon rock and roll, he had servents, he baked bread,  he had to get permission from Yoko for everything, such as who he could cheat on her with. He was not rock and roll, an icon yes, a revoloutionary maybe.

Maybe a good question to ask would be how should one define a "rock star"?  I think you're saying that Lennon was not quite as rebellious as people make him seem.  Does a genuine rock star need to be edgy and rebellious?  

And IMO, I'm not sure it's fair to say that you can't be a rock star if you live a pampered life.  If you've made tons of money, of course you're going to spend it on living comfortably.  

McCartney seems very tame in comparison to other rock musicians, so would it be wrong to label him as a rock star?

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #44 on: March 25, 2009, 12:24:35 AM »

Quote from: 1689
But, funny enough, when Wings plays in concerts, the songs they play are overwhelmingly Beatles songs. That's interesting when you think that Paul was with the Beatles for only about 10 years and has been with Wings for nearly 40.

Wait, what?  Paul wasn't in Wings for 40 years.  They were together for much of the 1970's but they didn't last for more than 10 years.

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #45 on: March 25, 2009, 12:28:49 AM »

Quote from: 1620

Maybe a good question to ask would be how should one define a "rock star"?  I think you're saying that Lennon was not quite as rebellious as people make him seem.  Does a genuine rock star need to be edgy and rebellious?  

And IMO, I'm not sure it's fair to say that you can't be a rock star if you live a pampered life.  If you've made tons of money, of course you're going to spend it on living comfortably.  

McCartney seems very tame in comparison to other rock musicians, so would it be wrong to label him as a rock star?

Here are some people who I think were rock stars.

Some others include Clapton, Townshend, Daltrey, Moon, Page etc Also the guy in my avatar  ;)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
« Reply #46 on: March 25, 2009, 12:30:30 AM »

Quote from: 483
I don't favour either of them. I've never been a huge solo fan in any case. The way I see it, and it's not just here, no-one is damming John, it's a backlash against those that seek to Deify him. The rediculous implication that Lennon is/was some kind of saintly figure going around preaching peace all his life, when the facts tell a different story. The more his fans seek to place him alongside the likes of Mother Theresa, the more Paul's fan base will react strongly against it. Nobody hates John, but some are tired of the constant elevation of him to some godlike status, while Paul is vilified by all and sundry.

Well put.

MandyBuglet

• A Beginning
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2009, 07:06:36 AM »

I've never thought Paul was "bland".

mr vandebilt

• A Beginning
« Reply #48 on: March 25, 2009, 07:51:06 AM »

Quote from: 1927
I've never thought Paul was "bland".

I actually  don't think he is either, but the media perception of him does kind of paint him as a thumbs waving vegan mr 'niceguy'.

The reality is that he's one of the few celebrities in the world with the power and money who can pretty much dictate what information the press get about him. The fact is Macca is as much as an enigma as Lennon was, as no one can really claim to know the real Paul( if he's still alive that is ;) )

And for waht makes a rock and roll star its either that the person perfroms great rock songs which includes both John and Paul, or someone who leads a rock and roll lifestyle (such as Richards, Hendrix, Joplin, Morrison, Sir Cliff) which does not include any of the fab four.

The reason i do think Lennon is kind of a revoloutionary figure is that he did try to use his influence to change how people think. I don't think he actually sucseeded but he did at least have an attempt.

DaveRam

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2009, 09:27:27 AM »

I don't think The Beatles were a rock band more pop/rock and both John and Paul continued their solo career's very much in that vain and style ,they were always to sophisticated musically to be true rockers ?
Politically John had his finger on the pulse of the time, but unlike Bob Geldof he changed very little .
Conversely Paul's greener veggie  life style in the 70's seemed at odds with the time , it's funny how green politics are now setting the agenda and it's saving the planet that counts , not stopping never ending wars.
I think the Paul, John war will continue though , it's to good a sport to let drop .
Like BlueMeanie i'm not sure either of them are people worth tearing your hair out over , both have their faults .
Just love The Beatles stop the John, Paul war give peace a chance, only my love holds the other key blah blah
(rolling3)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2009, 12:36:41 PM »

Quote from: 1620

I think what mr. vandebilt meant was that The Rolling Stones, prior to their success, enjoyed a rather cushy middle-class lifestyle. Of course, John was raised middle class too, only it wasn't so cushy as he had a rather messed up family life. Money isn't everything.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2009, 09:23:05 PM »

That all is very interesting. I also think that in that connection we should answer one question: Is a rock star supposed to live a comfortable life or not. If not then it is possible to say that ROCK IS MY RELIGION - a slogan or motto some people coin. Rock then dictates certain norms and standards. What do you think?

Wordno

• Getting Better
  • Fortune favors the bold
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2009, 07:54:27 AM »

I think this whole John fans vs Paul fans war will never see an end. John and Paul's rivalry extends even as far as to their fans. Fans will always come and defend their favorite Beatle and bash the other Beatle to try and prove superiority. We'll always hear the rubbish of "John was rock and Paul was pop" and all the other crap that people say. Honestly, I think Paul people dislike John people just as much as John people dislike Paul people. I think this whole crap of "John fans love him more and know better then to bash Paul" is complete and utter naive garbage. While I've seen more John fans bash Paul then visa versa the sad truth is that there probably won't ever be peace between the two crowds. I mean who wants to hear their idol being bashed for someone else?

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2009, 02:12:18 PM »

Quote from: 403
While I've seen more John fans bash Paul then visa versa the sad truth is that there probably won't ever be peace between the two crowds.

Yes, there is a schism running deep in Beatle World,  the hallucinatory babbling of the Lennonites  ("he was so  mighty") against the paranoid whinging of the Maccanists ("he's so misunderstood.") Just wait until one side or the other gets guns, then we'll have a real blood bath. And lets not forget the holier-than-thou Harrisonites, lurking about in the shadows. Maybe they should be up against the wall first.
All we need is a Martin Luther. Be warned he suffered from severe constipation (the Lord rewards his most dedicated followers in the strangest of ways) and I haven't had a proper sh*t in months.

don't follow leaders

MandyBuglet

• A Beginning
« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2009, 06:15:58 PM »

I mean who wants to hear their idol being bashed for someone else?

Exactly!

That's why I like them all (even though Ringo's my favorite)  :P ;D.

Quote from: 403
While I've seen more John fans bash Paul then visa versa the sad truth is that there probably won't ever be peace between the two crowds.

That's kinda sad, being that both John and Paul were (mostly) about peace.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2009, 09:17:20 PM »

Maybe it`s time to switch to their sons. And I suspect the choices could be confusing: Paul fans might fall for Julian and John fans might find themselves with Dhani. Did we have a poll on The Beatles` wifes or girlfriends yet?

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2009, 09:33:08 PM »

Quote from: 185

Yes, there is a schism running deep in Beatle World,  the hallucinatory babbling of the Lennonites  ("he was so  mighty") against the paranoid whinging of the Maccanists ("he's so misunderstood.") Just wait until one side or the other gets guns, then we'll have a real blood bath. And lets not forget the holier-than-thou Harrisonites, lurking about in the shadows. Maybe they should be up against the wall first.
All we need is a Martin Luther. Be warned he suffered from severe constipation (the Lord rewards his most dedicated followers in the strangest of ways) and I haven't had a proper sh*t in months.

I... I think I love you.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Bobber

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2009, 09:57:28 PM »

:)

Penny Lane

• A Thousand Pages
  • Paulinate me
« Reply #58 on: March 26, 2009, 10:12:40 PM »

Quote from: 185

Hilarious.   ;D

But where are the Ringoites?   :P

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2009, 01:34:23 AM »

Quote from: 1927

That's kinda sad, being that both John and Paul were (mostly) about peace.

They were all about writing songs about peace. Practicing it was a bit beyond both of them. With each other anyway. Which in this case is rather fitting.

Anyway, it's ignorant to say any ONE Beatle made or broke the band. Anyone who says that either knows very little about the Beatles or is just stupid. Or a bit of both. Which is most likely the case.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Page created in 0.291 seconds with 89 queries.