Beatles forums > Albums

Abbey Road Is The Jewel In The Beatles Crown ?

<< < (10/10)

nimrod:

--- Quote ---I would like you to give an example prior to the Rolling Stones catalog where the drums and bass are as loud and as up-front as "Rain" and "Tomorrow Never Knows".

--- End quote ---

Im thinking Satisfaction and 19th Nervous Breakdown for two, both 65 where you could hear prominant bass (but maybe Paul insisted on it being even more prominant for Rain)

--- Quote ---Of course Abbey Road is closer to prog than Sgt. Peppers its more than two years older than Sgt. Pepper so you would think they progressed
--- End quote ---
Thats what I dont agree with, by 1969, King Crimson had released the first full blown prog album (in the Court) so the genre was established and Abbey Rd was more 'Rock' than 'Prog Rock', although parts of it were Symphonic and Arty..
Pepper was Art Rock, sometimes referred to as Proto Prog, but it was more Prog than Abbey Rd IMO, because, first of all it was a concept album with gatefold 'artistic' cover art, it had prog elements (think the intro to Fixing A Hole) songs with differing time signatures (Mr Kite, Day In The Life), a large variety of instrumentation, mellotron, sitars, Indian percussive instruments, full symphony orchestra etc

nimrod:

--- Quote from: Musicfan67 on December 22, 2010, 01:17:22 PM ---Maybe they were jealous of what the Rolling Stones were doing. Though the techniques the Beatles were using on Revolver were different and more influential. Though, I would like you to give an example prior to the Rolling Stones catalog where the drums and bass are as loud and as up-front as "Rain" and "Tomorrow Never Knows".

Technically on Abbey Road I think George Harrison guitar work, and the Beatles vocal harmonies listen to “Because” are better that what you hear on the White Album. It’s like giving some one an A and A+ grade. They were both great.

Of course Abbey Road is closer to prog than Sgt. Peppers its more than two years older than Sgt. Pepper so you would think they progressed. As for Sgt Pepper many consider it the first prog album. I consider “A Day in the Life” as prog rather than Frank Zappa Varese influenced composing melding of 50’s rock and roll of his prior two albums.

www.dprp.net/proghistory/1967.html

--- End quote ---

hey musicfan67, wherever you are, you never finished our (interesting for me) discussion from 2010, I like your posts, please post again if you still with us :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version