Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Your All Time Best Ever CD  (Read 8021 times)

nimrod

Re: Your All Time Best Ever CD
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2014, 12:47:16 PM »

I didn't realise that's how Jaco ended up. I can't claim to be that familiar with his body of work. But when I was learning bass in the late 70s he and Stanley Clarke were offered up as the gold standard. That's a terribly sad end.

Like so many Jazz guys before him, I think drugs and booze got to him

He was sleeping rough and eventually was severely beaten up by a bouncer, so badly he died

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 02:57:08 PM »

I've always loved it. I sometimes see it as almost a sequel to Boots of Spanish Leather which I mentioned earlier. Dylan is sometimes caricatured for his more impenetrable lyrics. He can write beautiful lucid songs that anyone can appreciate.

For sure. I sometimes wish I'd like Blood On The Tracks more because of what it represents - Dylan's very own confessional singer-songwriter album, one that everybody can relate to. It's funny that his approach to song-writing at the time was very much inspired by early 70's s-s such as Neil Young, Joni Mitchell etc. all of whom would've probably never picked up a guitar and wrote a lyric in the first place if not for Dylan. But I still think Young's 'After The Goldrush' works way better as an album.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 03:03:28 PM by Ovi »
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 09:56:47 PM »

1. Strawberry Fields Forever (The Beatles)
2. Pinball Wizard (The Who)
3. Somebody To Love (Jefferson Airplane)
4. Eight Miles High (The Byrds)
5. Waterloo Sunset (The Kinks)
6. Time Of The Season (The Zombies)
7. Alone Again Or (Love)
8. Shapes Of Things (The Yardbirds)
9. For What It's Worth (Buffalo Springfield)
10. Tomorrow Never Knows (The Beatles)
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 10:16:58 PM »

1. Strawberry Fields Forever (The Beatles)
2. Pinball Wizard (The Who)
3. Somebody To Love (Jefferson Airplane)
4. Eight Miles High (The Byrds)
5. Waterloo Sunset (The Kinks)
6. Time Of The Season (The Zombies)
7. Alone Again Or (Love)
8. Shapes Of Things (The Yardbirds)
9. For What It's Worth (Buffalo Springfield)
10. Tomorrow Never Knows (The Beatles)

Waterloo Sunset was my reserve Kinks choice. Lovely song.

nimrod

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 01:17:47 AM »

I hate lists and compilation albums, Kev.  But if I were to make one of these CDs, you can bet that Mr. Moonlight would be on it.    ;D

Just a bit of harmless fun Baz baby... :-X

Im amazed that none of my fellow posters have included any Jazz, Blues or classical in their desert island discs

Is Rock/pop all you guys listen too ?  glassesslip

(I noticed Ovi said he liked Miles Davies though)

and where are Dmitry & Bobber in all this, are they working undercover in Kiev ?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2014, 02:12:33 AM »

For sure. I sometimes wish I'd like Blood On The Tracks more because of what it represents - Dylan's very own confessional singer-songwriter album, one that everybody can relate to.

Is Blood On The Tracks any more "confessional" than some of his previous albums?  Yes, his lyrics were more straightforward on that album but weren't the enigmatic songs he wrote in the mid-60s also "confessional" or autobiographical?

It's funny that his approach to song-writing at the time was very much inspired by early 70's s-s such as Neil Young, Joni Mitchell etc. all of whom would've probably never picked up a guitar and wrote a lyric in the first place if not for Dylan.

That's quite a presumptuous statement, Ovi.  Do you really mean that?  Do you know what Neil Young and Joni Mitchell's early interests in music were and what instruments they first learned to play and when?  Both wrote music extensively in the 1960s.  Which early 70s singer/songwriters are you referring to?  Or is it "all of whom?"

Who influenced Bob Dylan early in his career?  Did folk and folk rock begin with Bob Dylan?
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 04:34:11 AM by Hello Goodbye »
I can stay till it's time to go

nimrod

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2014, 02:28:03 AM »

Is Blood On The Tracks any more "confessional" than some of his previous album?  Yes, his lyrics were more straightfoward on that album but weren't the enigmatic songs he wrote in the mid-60s also "confessional" or autobiographical?

That's quite a presumptuous statement, Ovi.  Do you really mean that?  Do you know what Neil Young and Joni Mitchell's early interests in music were and what instruments they first learned to play and when?  Both wrote music extensively in the 1960s.  Which early 70s singer/songwriters are you referring to?  Or is it "all of whom?"

Who influenced Bob Dylan early in his career?  Did folk and folk rock begin with Bob Dylan?

Ive been a pretty avid Young fan over the years and Ive seen interviews and read books about him (and by him) and he always lists his influences as The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Buddy Holly, The Shadows, Jimmy Reed, & Johnny Cash as well as Dylan, also unlike Dylann ,he didnt set out to be a solo artist with an acoustic guitar but part of a band with other musicians.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 02:33:51 AM »

Just a bit of harmless fun Baz baby... :-X

Im amazed that none of my fellow posters have included any Jazz, Blues or classical in their desert island discs

I was hoping to get a separate classical desert island disc on a technicality.  ;)I don't like to mix pop with classical on the one disc.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 06:08:43 AM »

Nimrod
I think that we could all probably include Jazz or Blues (I'm not sure if I'd have a Classical piece) but it's almost like having something sweet with something savoury.

As for Jazz, despite regularly picking up 50s/early 60s titles up from Fopp in Covent Garden for £3 a throw by people I've never heard of, I can listen to a 30 minute LP six times on the trot but not be able to tell you anything about it afterwards, apart from the year it was made and that it will have a fantastic modern art cover (those Blue Note covers are as wonderful as art, any art, ever got).

I use Jazz as mood music more than anything else.

nimrod

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 06:12:14 AM »

I was hoping to get a separate classical desert island disc on a technicality.  ;)I don't like to mix pop with classical on the one disc.

you have to bear in mind that this is the ONLY CD you will have forever on the island

you can listen to just one track at any time so it could be anything that is you favourite

I just couldnt go forever without listening to a Miles Davies or Weather Report track or my favourite classical piece

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 07:20:53 AM »

you have to bear in mind that this is the ONLY CD you will have forever on the island

you can listen to just one track at any time so it could be anything that is you favourite

You're a hard man Nim.

That complicates it for me as my other great musical love is opera. Hmmm. That being the case I'll substitute in the Sea Interludes from Peter Grimes by Britten, and the Graveyard Scene from Mozarts Don Giovanni. I'll sacrifice REMs Losing my Religion and the Triffids. Although it pains me to lose the Aussie representation.

At least it makes my cd longer. If I'm going to have to listen to one over an over better it be an hour rather than 30 minutes.  ;)

Joost

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 12:47:57 PM »

The Beach Boys - God Only Knows
Warm Sounds - Birds and Bees
France Gall - Poupée de Cire, Poupée de Son
Ph.D. - I Won't Let You Down
Tim Hardin - (How Can We) Hang On to a Dream
The Stranglers - Golden Brown
Michel Fugain - Une Belle Histoire
The Beach Boys - Surf's Up
Elliott Smith - Miss Misery
Procol Harum - A Whiter Shade of Pale

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 11:56:42 PM »

She's A Lover - The Pretty Things
Greenburg, Glickstein, Charles, David, Smith, & Jones - The Cryan Shames
The Daily Planet - Love
Brief Candles - The Zombies
Gypsy - The Moody Blues
You Are Gone - The Buckinghams
Situation Vacant - The Kinks
Hopelessly Human - Kansas
Just One Girl - The Knickerbockers
Fly At Night - Chilliwack

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2014, 03:23:03 AM »

Bare Trees-Fleetwood Mac
Midnight Blue-Kenny Burrell
ZZ Top-Waitin' For The Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago
Buddy Guy-Saturday Night Fish Fry
The Beatles-Paperback Writer
CCR-Born On The Bayou
Santana-Everybody's Everthing
Grant Green The Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark-It Ain't Necessarily So
The Beatles-If I Needed Someone
Frank Sinatra-Old Devil Moon

I need 10 additional classical CDs!  2ch
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2014, 03:32:04 AM »

Good luck. Bloody Nimrod will he searching our bags before we board the SS Minnow.

nimrod

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2014, 05:53:59 AM »

Bare Trees-Fleetwood Mac
Midnight Blue-Kenny Burrell
ZZ Top-Waitin' For The Bus/Jesus Just Left Chicago
Buddy Guy-Saturday Night Fish Fry
The Beatles-Paperback Writer
CCR-Born On The Bayou
Santana-Everybody's Everthing
Grant Green The Complete Quartets with Sonny Clark-It Ain't Necessarily So
The Beatles-If I Needed Someone
Frank Sinatra-Old Devil Moon

Sorry George, you (and moog) know the rules  ;D

ibanez_ax

• Getting Better
« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2014, 11:36:43 AM »

Good luck. Bloody Nimrod will he searching our bags before we board the SS Minnow.

This calls for drastic measures!  Since I'll be playing my one CD on a solar powered laptop, I'm going to sneak a flash drive with more music aboard and hide it in a body cavity!   ;)
What, is he dead?  Sit you down, father.  Rest you.

Ovi

• A Thousand Pages
  • Tonight, I'm a rock 'n' roll star.
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2014, 06:20:59 PM »

Is Blood On The Tracks any more "confessional" than some of his previous albums?  Yes, his lyrics were more straightforward on that album but weren't the enigmatic songs he wrote in the mid-60s also "confessional" or autobiographical?

It was a poor choice of words. What I meant was that it's his most relatable, accessible lyrically. I have no idea whether he was writing about him or not, Dylan's an impossible man to read. He reinvented his image so much, appeared to the listeners in so many lights, delivered so many different messages that it's become nigh on impossible for us to separate the man from the characters he's portraying. Maybe that's what makes him so unique.

You are right, it was an exaggerated statement. Obviously both Neil and Joni were inspired by dozens of acts over the years, as are most great artists. But I've always felt there is a strong connection between Dylan and their early 70's singer-songwriter records, 'Blue' and 'After The Goldrush' in particular. The way they expressed themselves so freely, sometimes with a minimum of instrumentation yet always sounding like they didn't need more, all this in a rock/pop context etc.
http://tangledupinmusic.wordpress.com - yet another music blog

nimrod

« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2014, 11:45:57 PM »

This calls for drastic measures!  Since I'll be playing my one CD on a solar powered laptop, I'm going to sneak a flash drive with more music aboard and hide it in a body cavity!   ;)

Thats cheating George  glassesslip

Remember Im restricted to 10 tracks as well, I too could take several more  ;D

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2014, 01:08:26 AM »

Drastic measures call for drastic countermeasures...

;sorry
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Page created in 1.024 seconds with 79 queries.