Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Any thoughts on "A Hard Day's Write?"  (Read 4504 times)

KelMar

Any thoughts on "A Hard Day's Write?"
« on: July 14, 2011, 04:25:32 AM »

I was all set to buy "A Hard Day's Write" by Steve Turner until I read one of the few negative reviews on Amazon. That person claimed that there are a lot of factual errors as well as typos and that a lot of the information is mostly well-known by more serious Beatles fans. I don't want to waste my money!

Bobber

Re: Any thoughts on "A Hard Day's Write?"
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 07:21:21 AM »

It's a fun read, but I wouldn't take most information for granted. For instance, Steve Turner came up with the drawing which is said to be the inspiration for Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds. Nonsense of course. ;D, see my excellent research here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=235.140

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 01:42:39 PM »

It was the first Beatles book I had bought, and I read it from cover to cover (I still pick it up once in a while). I think it was a really fun read and a good book for young fans to have, but there are a few errors here and there. I'd still recommend it though.

KelMar

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 05:43:20 PM »

It was the first Beatles book I had bought, and I read it from cover to cover (I still pick it up once in a while). I think it was a really fun read and a good book for young fans to have, but there are a few errors here and there. I'd still recommend it though.

Thanks Emmi. I'd rather hear it from someone I know and trust like you.  ;)

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 03:51:08 PM »

Thanks Emmi. I'd rather hear it from someone I know and trust like you.  ;)

Haha, why thank you!

KelMar

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 02:12:25 AM »

It's a fun read, but I wouldn't take most information for granted. For instance, Steve Turner came up with the drawing which is said to be the inspiration for Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds. Nonsense of course. ;D, see my excellent research here: http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/index.php?topic=235.140

That was an interesting thread. As a former pre-school teacher I thought, no way! the first time I saw that picture.

Savile Row

• One And One Is Two
  • The farther one travels the less one knows
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 06:00:43 PM »

I thought this book was okay, but pretty basic. As a far more insightful way of song research I would recommend the heavier
'Revolution in the Head" by Ian MacDonald.
I don't know why nobody told you
how to unfold you love

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 03:23:38 AM »

I thought this book was okay, but pretty basic. As a far more insightful way of song research I would recommend the heavier
'Revolution in the Head" by Ian MacDonald.

Thanks Savile Row. I am looking for something that goes beyond the basics. And welcome to the forums.  :)

Savile Row

• One And One Is Two
  • The farther one travels the less one knows
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 03:07:45 PM »

Thanks ! I'm still finding my way around this forum  :)

Before going into the amazing specifics of the songs, 'Revolution in the head" also offers an elaborate essay on the sixties, the counterculture and other political and social developments. It's a difficult read, but quite rewarding. I realised after reading that a unique juncture of circumstances made a phenomenon like the Beatles possible, and also that it probably could never happen again, at least not this way. I wasn't there during those years so it was very interesting.
I don't know why nobody told you
how to unfold you love

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 09:55:49 PM »

It was one of the first Beatles books I read, and I did enjoy it at the time but I wouldn't recommend it to the more serious fans, as there are a few factual error and a lot of the information is common knowledge.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 58 queries.