Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Which Beatle's solo career was the best?  (Read 20826 times)

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
Which Beatle's solo career was the best?
« on: November 28, 2009, 01:27:07 AM »

I gotta say Paul.

George does not approve.

emmi_luvs_beatles

• A Thousand Pages
  • I'm an Expert.
Re: Which Beatle's solo career was the best?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 01:29:03 AM »

Yah It's Paul. His was by far the best, and he is still going. But if John hadn't died this might not be as simple.

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 01:31:20 AM »

^^
I sorta agree with you there. Yet John's music was probably the best in the early seventies.

George does not approve.

BlueMeanie

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:00:34 AM »

I think in fairness this should be limited up to 1980.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 01:49:04 PM »

don't follow leaders

sgt. peppie

• Getting Better
  • Lolwut?
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 04:22:07 AM »

I think in fairness this should be limited up to 1980.
Of course. :)

George does not approve.

lucy~(-_-*...

• Getting Better
  • חחח...Rabbi Saul
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 05:03:25 PM »

paul.
;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes ;yes

Eliza

• Getting Better
  • You've got a new horizon It's ephemeral style
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 07:40:14 PM »

Paul's solo stuff was very good but I have to say George had the best
Put yer tongue away it looks digusting hanging out all pinked and naked!-George Harrison

Love forever, love is free Let's turn forever you and me Windmill, windmill for the land Is everybody in?

HarriGirl_44

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 07:52:41 PM »

I voted John.

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 09:03:28 AM »

Looking at who's carreer was the best, it is undoubtedly (sp?) Paul. Simply because he had the most hits. It's a different question to ask 'whose songs during the seventies you like best'?

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 02:13:40 AM »

^

It would still be Paul.
I can stay till it's time to go

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 08:13:26 AM »

^

It would still be Paul.

lol. But that's not just a matter of statistics.

Jane

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2010, 01:15:09 PM »

Paul`s, as you haven`t stated the frames. Up to now it has been Paul`s.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2010, 03:10:11 PM »

looks like its Paul for me.

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

AngeloMysterioso

• A Beginning
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 08:00:22 PM »

I had first to ask myself: do I have to consider the body of solo works done during the Beatles era (Paul worked on a solo project back in 1966)? Or should I intellectually blindfold myself and do as if the Beatles had never existed, prior to the four solo careers? In that scenario, which body of works would stand out in itself and best endure the test of time and history?

As already hinted, all of the Beatles’ individual solo careers began a while before the Beatles’ end (let’s say, for discussion purposes, on April 10, 1970 when Paul announced he called it quits to the press. Eventhough anyone can say the split occured a long time before that). To my recollection, many songs issued on McCartney (Teddy Boy, Junk, between others), had been rehearsed and previously played by the Beatles, as we can hear on many bootlegs; equally, a few of George compositions (that appeared on All Things Must Pass) had also been rehearsed during the Let it Be and Abbey Road sessions. John composed Look At Me prior to the White Album sessions; eventhough it appeared only on Plastic Ono Band.

My point is that most of the early solo material was directly influenced by the Beatles sound, context and era. So, It took a while for the boys to distance themselves from all the Beatles 60’s rumble and hype.

Hence, in my opinion, John was the first to achieve musical independence with Imagine. Both Paul and Ringo had to wait a little longer, with Band on the Run and Ringo respectively. And, in my view, since a lot of what would appear on All Things Must Pass had already been rehearsed and, in a sense, ”withheld” from being released on a Beatles’ record, George genuinely came to age only in 1987 with Cloud Nine. No doubt I can already hear the upcoming general outcry (I know, I know, George has done good stuff – and bad too – before that). But his sound, musicality, creativity and artistic sensitivity had yet to find freedom from the Beatles’ shadow.

One should not be surprised that John was the first to get there since, according to himself, he was ready to leave the Beatles as early as 1966. And George was the individual who had the hardest time achieving emotional distance, away from the initial resentment he publicly expressed.

So, to me, the best overall solo career is Paul. Before the split (and/or around, since it is so hard to trace the line), I’d say George; with John a very, very close runner-up. And after? Again, George achieved early commercial success, but on the long run, I would say Paul has been the best.
Music's all right John, but you'll never make a living out of it.

I_Will

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Doesn't the blood rush to your stomach?"
    • My Beatles Tumblr!
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2010, 08:38:08 PM »

I'm not sure if the question means best in the commercial sense, in ther personal favorite sense, or in the sense of great music?

Commerically: Paul, no doubt about it wins this one, with George and John next (though John's work may not have been popular at the time, it certainly is now), and then Ringo's (which on the other hand, may have been successful at the time, but is not so much now)

Personal favorite: Unquestionably Paul for me, but with John close behind. Then would be George (but I still only like a select bit of his solo work) and sorry, but I'm just not a big solo Ringo fan.

Great music: I'd say Paul and John are tied for this one, because their music is both fantastic but also very different, and cannot really be compared too much. George would be next for me, and then sorry, Ringo is last once again.

The name's Emily :)

Kate

• A Thousand Pages
  • Don't take it from the top
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2010, 11:00:23 AM »

well, that's easy....Paul is the most successful up until now. Whom would he compete with anyhow, two aren't with us anymore and Ringo....hmmm
Don't get me wrong I think they all had their share....but Paul had the best (=successful) solo career so far

dr marvalo

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2010, 06:23:20 PM »

The only Beatle who really attempted to reach a new audience was Paul, and in many ways his is the only REAL solo career.   The other Beatles made records and some of the solo albums are excellent, but George, John, or Ringo weren't on the road like Paul was back in the seventies, in short they weren't doing all of those things that bands do to try to create a following.     

I know.... they all had solo careers, but still, if you've ever been in a band and worked to establish a following, you'll know what I mean when I talk about Paul having the only true post-Beatle career.

LennonStarrFan

• A Beginning
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 12:23:42 AM »

I would say John, but I accidentally clicked Paul. LOL! But all four had respected solo careers, with Ringo's being the most underrated.

"John was the best. I loved John. He was fine singer, a fine musician and he was a fine friend." -Ringo
“He's (Ringo) every bloody bit as warm, unassuming, funny, and kind as he seems. He was quite simply the heart of the Beatles.” – John

Jema

• Getting Better
  • "The Beatles will exist without us." - George
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2011, 04:39:38 PM »

I've really only listened to John and George's solo work so I could only choose between those two,I chose George.
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.612 seconds with 94 queries.