Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Ringo- amazing drummer?  (Read 37959 times)

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
Ringo- amazing drummer?
« on: July 10, 2004, 04:28:40 AM »

I have no clue on this one. So i wanna see what you guys have to say.

Paul McCartney :)

Hannah

• A Beginning
Re: Ringo- amazing drummer?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 07:45:28 AM »

he's okay, but I like keith moon better. *blush*
Don't walk on grass-smoke it!

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 08:25:52 AM »

Ringo was the best drummer in the Liverpool area. He's a great drummer, we just didn't get to see him show off in the days of Beatlemania touring, but he always kept a great beat, and that solo in "The End" is my all time favorite drum solo.

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

broady

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 08:58:58 AM »

He was an amazing dummer (person), but I wouldn't say he was an amazing dummer (technically)... If that makes sense... kinda.

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 01:32:01 PM »

I telll you something, he was an awesome drummer. He allowed the space for the others to enrich. I've played a few Beatle songs in my time and any drummer that really, really tried to get his style has had a tough time.
He has great elements of jazz and the time changing that he had to do with Beatles stuff is far removed from the boring 4 on the floor formatt that so many 'amazing' drummers champion themselves and show off with.

He had great expression without having to do the 'Thunder rolls". Not detracting from the other amazing drummers like Moony, Mitchell and Bonham.

The Beatles as a whole band had the art of writing and recording perfectly imperfect!
I think that will make sense to any beatle lover who really does sleep with headphones on and panning to one side! lol!
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 04:51:58 PM »

As a drummer (thanks to Ringo's inspiration) I can unequivocally declare: yes...he is indeed an amazing drummer, for many  reasons.

His childhood full of debilitating illness...playing drums, while therapy, is still a rather strenuous activity.

He was the best drummer in Liverpool at the time according to many sources, including the Beatles. 

He brought personality & a common man quality to the group at the start which helped propel them to fame.

He was able to play Latin (I Feel Fine) pop, rock, and various time signatures one after another (All You Need Is Love, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, etc.) which is difficult to do and do well.

He virtually invented (or perhaps more to the point brought to the fore) the open hi-hat technique that gave a solid wash of cymbals to the backing of a song.  Rocking!

He had a strong back beat (bass drum) that brought that aspect to the fore as well.

He inspired countless, countless people to take up drums, many of whom went on to fame themselves.

Songs of note: Rain (his favorite), A Day In The Life (the fills he did were absolutely perfect, and no one would have ever played them as musically as that), The End (Abbey Road), She Said She Said, and many more.  His inventive yet supportive style and laid back personality was perfect for the Beatles.  No other drummer could have added so much.

Technical ability is nothing without feeling, without empathy and understanding.  And maybe some love.  And he brought all that and more to the group.

He was *never* a lesser member than anyone else.  It was a four poster bed and he held up his end as much as anyone else.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2004, 05:53:20 PM »

It was a four poster bed, but Martin and Epstein were holding up the bottom. :)

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2004, 07:36:25 PM »

[quote by=Rowdy link=Blah.pl?b=starr,m=1089433720,s=6 date=1089482000]It was a four poster bed, but Martin and Epstein were holding up the bottom. :)[/quote]

No, Martin was the blanket and Brian the pillow.

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2004, 08:08:26 PM »

Phil Spector was the cat that clawed away at a good bed and made it indistinguishable.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2004, 11:41:41 PM »

[quote by=Rowdy link=Blah.pl?b=starr,m=1089433720,s=8 date=1089490106]Phil Spector was the cat that clawed away at a good bed and made it indistinguishable.[/quote]
\\Nah, but he did pee on the spread, thereby covering part of it over with his own 'contribution'.

;D

We could do this all day!

Fab4

• One And One Is Two
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2004, 11:56:25 PM »

[quote by=Hannah link=Blah.pl?b=starr,m=1089433720,s=1 date=1089445528]he's okay, but I like keith moon better. *blush*[/quote]

Me too! He's more interesting to watch.  But Ringo was perfect for the Beatles. He brought a sensitivity to the band. Or something like that. Funny how his son sort of replaced Moonie. Now I hear he's joining Oasis? Or is that a rumor.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2004, 05:26:33 AM »

I don't know if I would call him amazing. Amazing and Ringo? It doesn't really fit. I mean he's good and all but amazing? Would anyone consider him an innovater or creative in his drumming? Seriously because I don't know the technicalities of drumming so maybe he was. Who knows.

Now as for Keith Moon.... Glad to see there are others that appreciate him!

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2004, 05:58:13 AM »

[quote by=Maccalvr link=Blah.pl?b=starr,m=1089433720,s=11 date=1089523593]I don't know if I would call him amazing. Amazing and Ringo? It doesn't really fit. I mean he's good and all but amazing? Would anyone consider him an innovater or creative in his drumming?

****Yes!  I even gave you examples.  That's *exactly* what he was....a creative innovator.

Now as for Keith Moon.... Glad to see there are others that appreciate him![/quote]

***Moon was great at what he did as well.  But him being good shouldn't diminish Ringo's being good.  They were totally different types of drummers, which is obvious since Keith was different from all the others, except maybe Mitch Mitchell.

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2004, 06:08:11 AM »

Oh, I don't think Keith being good takes away from Ringo being good. It's just more obvious with Keith as he was more out there. Well I mean for non-drummers that is. I was seriously asking about Ringo being an innovator! No sarcasm was intended! But I should have read your previous post more carefully!!! Sorry! The whole cymbal thing Ringo did is certainly important. Moon lived on the cymbals!  Yay Ringo! :D

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2004, 06:14:30 AM »

[quote by=Maccalvr link=Blah.pl?b=starr,m=1089433720,s=13 date=1089526091]Oh, I don't think Keith being good takes away from Ringo being good. It's just more obvious with Keith as he was more out there. Well I mean for non-drummers that is. I was seriously asking about Ringo being an innovator! No sarcasm was intended! But I should have read your previous post more carefully!!! Sorry! The whole cymbal thing Ringo did is certainly important. Moon lived on the cymbals!

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2004, 06:20:50 AM »

A Keith drummer? As in the wild style? Cool!! Is it hard to play a Who song? I mean are people able to copy Keith? I have no idea about these things. Is Ringo hard to copy? Or should I say play not copy. Keith is so dramatic when he plays. Throwing the drumsicks, twirling them, screaming while he plays, breaking things. He made people want to look at the drummer! Which I think is rare. But then like you said, Ringo made people want to BE a drummer!

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2004, 04:08:29 PM »

[quote by=Maccalvr link=Blah.pl?b=starr,m=1089433720,s=15 date=1089526850]A Keith drummer? As in the wild style? Cool!! Is it hard to play a Who song?

***YES!  Damn near impossible!  LOL 

I mean are people able to copy Keith?

****I don't know about others but I played all over the place LIKE him but except for some riffs and a specific fill here or there I could never copy exactly what he was doing for a whole song.  His licks were too unpredictable, even after hearing them a million times (for the most part). 

****Plus the man had to have inexhaustible energy to play that constant style.  I'm FAR too lazy! :)

I have no idea about these things. Is Ringo hard to copy? Or should I say play not copy.

***Not usually.  Again, different styles, Ringo's more structured and easier to emulate.

Keith is so dramatic when he plays. Throwing the drumsicks, twirling them, screaming while he plays, breaking things. He made people want to look at the drummer! Which I think is rare. But then like you said, Ringo made people want to BE a drummer! [/quote]

***Yeah, the theatrics were never part of my style, just the drumming.  But they were simply both great for different reasons.

number14

• A Thousand Pages
  • I like the beatles a lot
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2004, 08:34:16 PM »

[quote by=misterchaz link=Blah.pl?b=starr,m=1089433720,s=5 date=1089478318]

He was *never* a lesser member than anyone else.

Paul McCartney :)

Sondra

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2004, 09:31:05 PM »

Is it hard to play a Who song?

***YES!  Damn near impossible!  LOL 

So how well does Zak do?

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2004, 11:42:44 PM »

I have heard MANY Beatle tribute bands, including The Bootleg Beatles on numerous occasions, and I have NEVER heard a drummer faithfully copy Ringo's playing. Most drummers struggle with the intro to She Loves You and the breaks in Ticket To Ride - listen closely, their timing is WAY off.

Ringo might not have been a flashy, flambouyant drummer, but he was extremely solid, and REALLY hit those drums hard. Just check out any live footage of Ringo - and I don't mean TV shows as most of these were mimed and Ringo wasn't allowed to actually hit his drums or cymbals! Watch the Washington concert or the Sweden show; especially Long Tall Sally - watch the other guy's faces as he really goes to town on his kit!

What really annoys me is that no-one ever seems to knock Charlie Watts of the Rolling Stones. Listen to their early numbers such as I'm Free; his timing was absolutely apalling!

Ringo is not the kind of person who feels he has to justify what he brought to the Beatles' sound - HE knows how good he was, and so do other drummers.

Tracks to listen to:

I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Cry (Over You) - From the Beatles at the BBC
Wait - Rubber Soul
What You're Doing - Beatles For Sale
Helter Skelter - White Album
Sgt Pepper (reprise) - Sgt Pepper

To name just a few!!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 77 queries.