Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What You're Doing  (Read 6055 times)

Wayne L.

What You're Doing
« on: January 18, 2005, 05:40:56 PM »

What You're Doing is one of the worst songs the Beatles ever recorded & released at the height of Beatlemania in the early 60's. Paul's vocals are slighly weak & it's not one of their best proving the Beatles weren't above their 60's contemporaries sometimes. 

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
Re: What You're Doing
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2005, 05:53:13 PM »

I don't think many people need it to be proven that the Beatles had their duff moments. Still, most of their contemparies would have given an arm and a leg to be able to knock of songs like this. I can't think of any other band (except the Stones) from this era who produced albums still listenable today.

Cheers
don't follow leaders

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2005, 07:23:54 PM »

no i never really have liked this one either.

but im fed up of people putting down mr.moonlight, coz i like that song a lot

Paulsluv

• A Thousand Pages
  • Hold me tight, Paul!
    • My livejournal
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 07:31:32 PM »

Personally, I like this song. I don't want to start a pro/anti-Paul fight, just stating my opinion.

:K)
Ohana means family. Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten.--Lilo and Stitch.
Beatles to battle!--Paul, Yellow Submarine movie
Listen. Do you want to know a secret?
Have you hugged your Paul Today?
Drop me a letter in my mailbox. :D

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2005, 05:38:30 AM »

really? i always thought it was underrated

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

Taxgirl

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2005, 11:16:22 AM »

[quote by=Paulsluv link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1106070056,s=3 date=1106076692]Personally, I like this song. I don't want to start a pro/anti-Paul fight, just stating my opinion.

:K)[/quote]

Yeah I like it too.

Bruno

• A Thousand Pages
  • The choice is yours, don't be late
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 02:19:15 PM »

[quote by=lennonlegend link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1106070056,s=2 date=1106076234]no i never really have liked this one either.

but im fed up of people putting down mr.moonlight, coz i like that song a lot [/quote]

I agree, Mr. Moonlight is a great song but a lot of people seem to hate it

:(

---powered by Moondogs®---

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2005, 02:30:19 PM »

Dreary, morbid and self centred a few words that spring to mind.
("baby's in black but I'm feeling blue."). Pleeeease!
don't follow leaders

Herecomesyoursun

• A Thousand Pages
  • Shake your tired eyes the world is waiting for you
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2005, 04:33:18 AM »

i love baby's in black!

[face=Arial]            Give me love, give me peace on Earth...[/face]

TurnMeOnDeadman

• A Thousand Pages
  • Creme Tangerine
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2005, 05:36:07 AM »

Babys in black is underrated

mih ssim mih ssim ,won daed si luap

"LSD is a drug made famous by John Lennon and Paul Mccartney"
 &nb

Rowdy

• Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2005, 07:18:34 AM »

I really, really love this song......better than half of the tracks on Beatles For Sale, which is nearly flawless in my opinion.

"Only people know just how to talk to people. Only people know just how to change the world."

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2005, 08:25:54 AM »

Are you truly saying that Beatles For Sale is nearly a flawless album! (Goodness, what would you consider a flawed Beatles album? )
I think the cover tells the story-they were tired and it shows. I think the covers are uninspired and Eight Days a Week sounds like it was written by a Beatles computer programme. After the rush of Beatlemania it's a band treading water, unsure what to do next .
But they certainly figured it out later.
don't follow leaders

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2005, 10:03:47 AM »

First with the thread topic,,,'What You're Doing' is definately a filler tune, but I like it. Still, I challenge anybody to find a worse guitar solo in any song.

Second, I agree pretty much with Kevin. Beatles For Sale is probably the worst album they ever did. Tons of filler stuff here. It did spawn some gems as in 'I'm A Loser', 'Every Little Thing', and 'I Dont Want To Spoil The Party' (a few of my favorites, but your opinion may vary), but in a whole,,,,the albums very patchy. They rushed this one guys and gals.

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 10:49:25 AM »

"What Your Doing' is indeed an album track, not one of my favourites, but you have to remember that on that album 'Eight Days A Week' was going to be a single before Lennon wrote 'I Feel Fine'.......the album is full of classics and great moodiness, and I totally disagree with George Martin when he said it was a disapointment and they 'got it right on HELP!'. While HELP! may have some break out tracks that are better- these obviously being 'Ticket to Ride', 'Yesterday', 'Help!' and 'You've Got to Hide Your Love Away'...........Beatles For Sale is one Hell of a ride. It starts off with three really dark tracks all Lennon-centric, has 'I don't Wanna Spoil the Party' which is maudlin and catchy, in-your-face rockers like Kansas City and Mr Moonlight, along with the folksy 'I'll Follow the Sun' and one of THE most underated Beatles songs of all time...........'Every Little Thing' which could have been a single for any other band. My least favourite personally is 'Everybodys Trying to Be My baby' which is half arsed.

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2005, 11:16:12 AM »

For anyone else this album would have been Ok, but not for the greatest rock and roll band in the world.
Mind you, albumwise I think that whole period between A Hards Days Night and Rubber Soul is a band doing it all a bit by the numbers. They had a winning formula and knew it. It's to their eternal credit that they turned their backs on it, and well, we all know what happened next.
don't follow leaders

Indica

• A Thousand Pages
  • Getting into the Herbal Jazz
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2005, 12:20:22 PM »

Beatles for Sale is one of my favorite Albums.
I agree, alot of filler stuff, due to the hectic touring etc, but it glimmers supreme talent.
I just like its raw yet soulful approach to songs, with hints of Dylan emerging.
The tracklist, is impressive, and a real move towards the later stuff (first signs of real change, bar Hard Days Night having all Beatle Songs)
I really admire the Album Art work, with the simplistic yet moody cover shot.
A really cool and hugely underated Beatles Album.
Whats the matter lads? Blue Meanies?

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2005, 12:59:06 PM »

I think the whole Beatles For Sale LP was a filler album - it was rush released for the  Christmas market in a year The Beatles toured Britain, Europe, USA, and Australia, made their first film, lost tonsils (!), composed and recorded a whole album's worth of Lennon/McCartney tracks as well as releasing an EP of new songs (Long Tall Sally) and two new Lennon/McCartney songs for their new single!!! Can you really blame them for dipping back into their old stage catalogue of favourites for some of the tracks?

But... how can any album that contains tracks such as No Reply, I'm A Loser, Baby's In Black, Rock 'n' Roll Music, I'll Follow The Sun, Eight Days A Week, Words Of Love, Every Little Thing and YES even What You're Doing ever be classed as weak? Maybe by Beatle standards, yes.

By the way, I happen to love What You're Doing... it out-jangles the Byrds! ;D

The End

• That Means a Lot
  • Turn off your mind, relax and float down stream...
    • The End
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2005, 01:00:54 PM »

[quote by=IndicaWalrus link=Blah.pl?b=songs,m=1106070056,s=15 date=1106223622]A really cool and hugely underated Beatles Album.[/quote]

Absolutely! :)

Kevin

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2005, 01:22:45 PM »

Agreed-the art work is very cool.
Agreed-you can hear the beginnings of something wonderful here.
Agreed-anyone else would have been proud to put their names on this.
But compared to most other albums it's found wanting.
I'll say no more
ps it was the "nearly flawless" comment that got me going.
don't follow leaders

raxo

• Sun King
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2005, 04:42:54 PM »

Quote from: Kevin
... I can't think of any other band (except the Stones) from this era who produced albums still listenable today.
Quote from: lennonlegend
...but im fed up of people putting down mr.moonlight, coz i like that song a lot
Quote from: Paulsluv
Personally, I like this song. I don't want to start a pro/anti-Paul fight, just stating my opinion.
Quote from: TurnMeOnDeadMan
really? i always thought it was underrated
Quote from: Taxgirl
Yeah I like it too.
Quote from: Bruno
I agree, Mr. Moonlight is a great song but a lot of people seem to hate it
Quote from: Herecomesyoursun
i love baby's in black!
Quote from: TurnMeOnDeadMan
Babys in black is underrated
Quote from: Rowdy
I really, really love this song......better than half of the tracks on Beatles For Sale, which is nearly flawless in my opinion.
Quote from: tkitna
First with the thread topic,,,'What You're Doing' is definately a filler tune, but I like it. ... Beatles For Sale ... It did spawn some gems as in 'I'm A Loser', 'Every Little Thing', and 'I Dont Want To Spoil The Party' (a few of my favorites, but your opinion may vary)...
Quote from: ziggysawdust
"What Your Doing' is indeed an album track, not one of my favourites, but you have to remember that on that album 'Eight Days A Week' was going to be a single before Lennon wrote 'I Feel Fine'.......the album is full of classics and great moodiness, and I totally disagree with George Martin when he said it was a disapointment and they 'got it right on HELP!'. While HELP! may have some break out tracks that are better- these obviously being 'Ticket to Ride', 'Yesterday', 'Help!' and 'You've Got to Hide Your Love Away'...........Beatles For Sale is one Hell of a ride. It starts off with three really dark tracks all Lennon-centric, has 'I don't Wanna Spoil the Party' which is maudlin and catchy, in-your-face rockers like Kansas City and Mr Moonlight, along with the folksy 'I'll Follow the Sun' and one of THE most underated Beatles songs of all time...........'Every Little Thing' which could have been a single for any other band. My least favourite personally is 'Everybodys Trying to Be My baby' which is half arsed.
Quote from: Indica
Beatles for Sale is one of my favorite Albums.
I agree, alot of filler stuff, due to the hectic touring etc, but it glimmers supreme talent.
I just like its raw yet soulful approach to songs, with hints of Dylan emerging.
The tracklist, is impressive, and a real move towards the later stuff (first signs of real change, bar Hard Days Night having all Beatle Songs)
I really admire the Album Art work, with the simplistic yet moody cover shot.
A really cool and hugely underated Beatles Album.
Quote from: The_End
But... how can any album that contains tracks such as No Reply, I'm A Loser, Baby's In Black, Rock 'n' Roll Music, I'll Follow The Sun, Eight Days A Week, Words Of Love, Every Little Thing and YES even What You're Doing ever be classed as weak? Maybe by Beatle standards, yes.

By the way, I happen to love What You're Doing... it out-jangles the Byrds! ;D

I love Guys For Sale LP! Not the best ... but my favourite one. 8)
Pages: [1] 2 3

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 88 queries.