Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Long and Winding Road (on Let It Be... Naked)  (Read 12243 times)

stopwow673

• One And One Is Two
Long and Winding Road (on Let It Be... Naked)
« on: March 14, 2015, 11:24:19 PM »

Before LIBN was released, was this version of the Long and Winding Road available?

I actually like LIBN better than LIB!
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

KelMar

Re: Long and Winding Road (on Let It Be... Naked)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 12:15:40 AM »

Before LIBN was released, was this version of the Long and Winding Road available?

According to this article: The Long and Winding Road, the song was available on Let it Be, 1, Anthology 3 and LIBN and of course the single so I don't think so. But if someone else has info I haven't found I'll defer to them! I'm sure the collectors had it though.

I actually like LIBN better than LIB!

I agree, especially when it comes to this particular song.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 12:47:57 AM »

Overall I still prefer the original Let it Be. I do probably favour the stripped down LAWR over the celestial choir version. But I don't think either are ideal versions. Something with more subtle strings might have done the trick for me. It's never been a favourite Beatle song of mine and I think it's one where they never quite got the right approach. Which was unusual for them to say the least.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 01:18:07 AM »

Somehow, WBAI-FM, a listener-supported Pacifica station, had the "naked" versions of the affected Let It Be songs in 1970 and played them regularly.  I was much more impressed with the non-Spectorized versions.  But last year, I heard the blues version of The Long And Winding Road...

The Beatles - The Long And Winding Road  Blues Version

Too bad they didn't release it that way.
I can stay till it's time to go

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 01:20:39 AM »

And imagine if they got Eric Clapton to do the guitar solos!
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 02:03:01 AM »

A seven minute guitar and organ solo in the middle would have been just the ticket to make it a long road indeed.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 04:38:20 PM »

I didn't like 'Let It Be.....Naked', and got rid of my copy soon after its release.
Has anyone actually played it in the last ten years?

(Mind you, it was considerably better than 'Love'!!!)

It seemed to neutralise and flatten the songs, going completely against the original 'The Beatles As Nature Intended' concept.
My copy of choice is the late 1980s CD.....£4......job (cheaply and better) done.

Funnily enough, although I can't stand the Phil Spector production of 'All Things Must Pass', I could never quite understand Paul's animosity towards Spector's production on the 1970 LP.

If a mono/stereo CD reissue programme was finally and belatedly granted to the group's back catalogue, 'Let It Be' would work perfectly with the Spector mix on CD1 and the Glyn Johns' mix on CD2, with a sprinkling of 'Anthology 3'/unreleased tracks added to each disc.....just don't hold your breath!

KelMar

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 05:59:46 PM »

I didn't like 'Let It Be.....Naked', and got rid of my copy soon after its release.
Has anyone actually played it in the last ten years?

Probably people who like it.  ;)

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2015, 07:44:26 PM »

I like 'Naked' and the the original just about equally. The original was my fave album ever for a year or so, upon its release. 'Naked' is nice for the obvious reason, just to hear the boys playing and singing without all the extras. And I do listen once in a while.

:)

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Bobber

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 09:50:32 AM »

And imagine if they got Eric Clapton to do the guitar solos!

No!

Bobber

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 09:53:23 AM »

History has made the Spector version of Let It Be the version that most fans dig better. Personally, I'd wish that Let It Be Naked was released in 1970 as the official album. I think these mixes better shows what The Beatles were doing and what their intentions were.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »

The Beatles' intentions according to the adverts for the 'Get Back' 45 were to get back to.....'The Beatles How Nature Intended'.

I can't for the life of me see how McCartney's tinkering in the 21st Century succeeds more in that aim than the original 'Get Back'/'Don't Let Me Down' and 'Let It Be' 45s and the Spector LP.

Klang

• A Thousand Pages
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 10:42:41 PM »

A lot of talk is thrown around about Spector's additions of orchestration, choir, etc., but when you look at the whole album those things are really on only a handful of tracks. Most of the songs are pretty much guitars, drums, piano and vocals, with little if any adornment. Those that are fattened up, so to speak, don't sound a whole lot different from what Martin would have done, and did in many instances before that.

Spector got a raw deal and I think the album's just fine. One of my faves, in fact. Hearing 'Naked' is something like listening to 'Anthology' tracks. Interesting, but the original is still the original. Can't change that.

'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 11:41:33 PM »

A lot of talk is thrown around about Spector's additions of orchestration, choir, etc., but when you look at the whole album those things are really on only a handful of tracks. Most of the songs are pretty much guitars, drums, piano and vocals, with little if any adornment. Those that are fattened up, so to speak, don't sound a whole lot different from what Martin would have done, and did in many instances before that.

Spector got a raw deal and I think the album's just fine. One of my faves, in fact. Hearing 'Naked' is something like listening to 'Anthology' tracks. Interesting, but the original is still the original. Can't change that.

I agree. Long and Winding is the obvious offence. Adding horns to I Me Mine was a plus I think. And half the songs are from the unadorned rooftop performance. So his wrecking of Let It Be has been overstated.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 05:11:29 AM »

'The Long And Winding Road' is horrible no matter what version is played.

'Let It Be Naked' is awful and I doubt I will ever play it again.

'Let It Be' the album is their worst effort and kind of sucks if you think about it.

'Love' is better then any version of the album whether its the original or Naked.

There,,,have a great day.

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 07:47:04 AM »

The strike rate may be higher on a Beatles website but I'd guess, call it a hunch, that 'Love' is the most neglected disc in thousands of CD collections around the world.

It's probably also the most dated sounding.

It might have worked in the context of the show, 99% of people who bought it simply won't know, but it's a blot on a back catalogue that post-1970 seems to have more than its *fair share of blots.

*Though not nearly as many as The Rolling Stones.

Bobber

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 09:05:27 AM »

'The Long And Winding Road' is horrible no matter what version is played.

'Let It Be Naked' is awful and I doubt I will ever play it again.

'Let It Be' the album is their worst effort and kind of sucks if you think about it.

'Love' is better then any version of the album whether its the original or Naked.

There,,,have a great day.

LOL!

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 06:43:23 PM »

The strike rate may be higher on a Beatles website but I'd guess, call it a hunch, that 'Love' is the most neglected disc in thousands of CD collections around the world.

I would think that if people bothered to buy it, its probably played more often then a ton of other CD's.  I have hundreds of CD's that I would rank below 'Love' ('Let It Be' would be one of them), but then again, I guess I belong to this Beatles board

Bobber

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2015, 06:55:14 PM »

As a matter of fact I played Love in the car yesterday. And loved it.

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 07:22:09 PM »

I think that Love and its follower Da Capo are good albums, but Forever Changes is way better... ;D
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."
Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.486 seconds with 79 queries.