Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Please Please Me on ONE  (Read 6256 times)

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
Please Please Me on ONE
« on: September 21, 2015, 02:24:19 PM »

Apple are about to release a re-vamped ONE collection with Please Please Me on a bonus DVD.

How many people still think Please Please Me should have been on the original ONE album?

I get the impression that a lot of people now think Please Please Me wasn't number one in the UK because they're too young to remember anything different.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
Re: Please Please Me on ONE
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 02:37:33 PM »

Apparently it "was and wasn't" number 1 in the UK, depending on what Poll it was on.  ???

I can't wait to hear how they took this mono song and turned it into 5.1 Surround Sound!  icon_good
Beatles music gives me Eargasms

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 07:08:42 PM »

Apparently it "was and wasn't" number 1 in the UK, depending on what Poll it was on.  ???

I can't wait to hear how they took this mono song and turned it into 5.1 Surround Sound!  icon_good

1 would have been much better with "Please Please Me" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" instead of "Eight Days A Week" and "The Long And Winding Road". Then the album shouldn't be called 1, it would be a compilation of official singles plus "Yesterday", and I would have included the original mono versions.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Bobber

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2015, 08:30:34 AM »

1 would have been much better with "Please Please Me" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" instead of "Eight Days A Week" and "The Long And Winding Road". Then the album shouldn't be called 1, it would be a compilation of official singles plus "Yesterday", and I would have included the original mono versions.

Fully agree.

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 01:33:30 PM »

I don't mind keeping the other songs on there but if we have to take off one song to make way for Please Please Me I'd chose Come Together.

Why? Because as far as I can make out Come Together was the B side to Something in the UK and in the US. When Billboard decided to put that single at the top of the chart they should logically have put Something at number one and Come Together at number two.

It also means George gets his number one single on there. Also we replace one John song with another John song so it seems fair.

But my main question is : Do you accept that Please Pleae Me was not number one in the UK? Over time the majority now seem to accept that the first Beatles number one was From Me To You.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 01:59:20 PM »

I never saw what the fuss was all about when this album first came out in the year 2000. 
It was almost half the songs from their previous released Red 1962-1966 & Blue 1967-1970 albums.  ;sorry

But now that it will be in 5.1 Surround Sound, I can't wait!!!!!!!  icon_king

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 09:23:10 PM »

Charles Shaar Murray's original review in Mojo in 2000 was spot on about '1'.

It went along the lines of 'thought it was impossible to cock up a Beatles compilation?....well here it is!'

Not sure how it could have been sold internationally, though it wouldn't take too long to think of a reasonable solution, but a UK 22 As and 22 Bs collection, like the Dusty Springfield one on Eclipse, would be a much more enjoyable, and edgy, collection than '1', the Red album, and the Blue album put together and, certainly unlike '1', would completely hold together as a concept.

Bobber

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 07:16:19 AM »

I never cared much about 1. Never bought it, for I already had all the songs on the album on other albums. I could do without the compilation.

As for PPM being a #1. I guess we all know the story about the four or five different lists in the UK in early 1963. On some it was #1, on others #2. So was it a #1? Well, yes, in a way it was.  2ch

oldbrownshoe

• Getting Better
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 08:45:08 AM »

I'm pretty sure 'Little Red Rooster' wasn't a no. 1 on one of the charts (NME?) but that '19th Nervous Breakdown' was!
Also, you'll occasionally hear 'I Wanna Be Your Man' described as The Stones first Top 10 hit, although in all the UK chart books it's listed as getting to no. 12.

I have to say, I quite like all these quirks, as well as songs that were released as 45s in other parts of the world.

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 03:53:21 PM »

Now I'm reading the fine print, not all the songs will be in 5.1.   Especially since "Love Me Do" and other earlier songs were Mono only, it's understandable that they can't be in 5.1 Surround.  :(

It reads: new stereo and 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS HD surround audio mixes.

So to me, this is just another re-re-re-re-re-re-release.  I'm still content with my Red & Blue hits LP's.  icon_good

The Blue Rays themselves have been bootlegged for years, but seeing it will be 4K quality, they will be better looking for sure. I'm torn on whether to buy it or not now.  ???

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 06:07:21 PM by Bingo Bongo »

zipp

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 09:21:10 PM »

As for PPM being a #1. I guess we all know the story about the four or five different lists in the UK in early 1963. On some it was #1, on others #2. So was it a #1? Well, yes, in a way it was.  2ch

I was at a pub quizz a few weeks ago. The question came up "What was the Beatles' first number on in the UK?" So of course eveyone looks at me.

So I say, "Well it was Please Please Me, but if you want to win the quizz you'll have to say From Me To You".

So that's what they did and they got the right answer. If they'd said Please Please Me it would have been the wrong answer. So now this thing is written down in stone and will probably never change. And in my opinion it's all because of ONE.

Bobber

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 10:13:08 AM »

Sad. We should all ban 1!  :police:

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 11:08:59 PM »

I never cared much about 1. Never bought it, for I already had all the songs on the album on other albums. I could do without the compilation.

Me neither and for the same reason.
I can stay till it's time to go

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 01:52:46 AM »

I always thought One was for those casual fans or younger generation looking to have something by the Beatles in their collection. It never occurred to me to get it as I prefer the albums plus past masters

KelMar

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 03:08:49 AM »

I'm not really that interested in the One CD either. It would be nice if I could get the Blu-Ray and the book that's coming out without the CD. I wish I knew if the book was even worth it. Good thing I have time to think about it.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 03:53:02 AM »

I always thought One was for those casual fans or younger generation looking to have something by the Beatles in their collection. It never occurred to me to get it as I prefer the albums plus past masters

I agree, Moog.  And for that reason I hope the new 1 compilation sells well.  It will spawn a new generation of Beatles fans who'll go on to further explore The Beatles discography.
I can stay till it's time to go

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 11:51:09 AM »

I'm not really that interested in the One CD either. It would be nice if I could get the Blu-Ray and the book that's coming out without the CD. I wish I knew if the book was even worth it. Good thing I have time to think about it.
I just want those 4k Blu Rays, you can have my book Kelley!  :)

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 03:28:49 PM »

Like you and Barry, I never bought it either, for the same reason, and I prefer the Past Masters CDs. Ironically, I do have it; I got it by default in the divorce.

And for that reason I hope the new 1 compilation sells well.  It will spawn a new generation of Beatles fans who'll go on to further explore The Beatles discography.

That is my hope, too!  :)

Hombre_de_ningun_lugar

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 04:00:20 PM »

I think the same, original albums plus Past Masters is what a Beatles fan needs. Some could add the Anthologies and Live At The BBC as well. In my case, I've never bought 1, but as Hello Goodbye said, it's a nice introduction to the band for new generations. I just think that it would be a better introduction with "Please Please Me" and "Strawberry Fields Forever" instead of "Eight Days A Week" and "The Long And Winding Road"; and the inclusion of the original mono singles would have been more attractive to collectors in 2000.
"Love is old, love is new; love is all, love is you."

Bingo Bongo

• Getting Better
Red & Blue vs ONE
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 10:44:40 PM »

I don’t understand why they just didn’t push the original Red & Blue Greatest Hits package from 1973 (1962-1966 & 1967-1970)

In my eyes, those are iconic!  icon_king

Guessing it had something to do with Allan Klein releasing them, and they probably don’t want anything to do with him now....  ???

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.682 seconds with 79 queries.