Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Mersey Beat  (Read 26890 times)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
Mersey Beat
« on: May 20, 2008, 11:24:41 AM »

With some discussions on the forums about what Liverpool was like I thought I could put various memories down in a new thread. In the meantime, in the 'Bill Harry's Mersey Beat' section of www.merseybeat.co.uk I have been discussing each individual issue of Mersey Beat, which might give readers an insight into the times. Here's an example of what I wrote about Issue no. 86:
Mersey Beat

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
Re: Mersey Beat
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 02:10:51 PM »

Thanks as always for taking the time, Bill. I found a couple of Daily Howl photos for anyone who's curious about what it actually looked like:

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 10:17:38 AM »

I managed to track down a copy of the Daily Howl for John. This is probably part of it. When John wanted to find material for his first book, he asked if I could trace a copy of the Daily Howl for him. I remembered that Rod Murray had been left behind in the Gambier Terrace flat which John and Stu had left and never returned to. Rod had been thrown out by the landlady and I managed to track him down. He told me that he still had some of John's possessions, but as John still hadn't paid his part of the rent, which Rod had to cough up for, he wanted some renumeration, so I got hold of Brian Epstein and told him to settle with Rod and get the book back. Many years later Rod also sold a copy of the Daily Howl at auction. I don't really know whether Brian had followed up and obtained it from Rod, whether Rod still retained the original, or whether he'd had two copies.
Millie Sutcliffe went to Gambier Terrace to collect Stuart's belongings and paid Stu's part of the rent. Among the items she brought back to her house was a chest of drawers with some of John's possessions. When her husband came home from sea and asked who they belonged to he threw them out when she said they were John's.
When I took John to see her, she gave him back a book on how to draw horses which he'd lent Stu years before.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 12:33:25 PM »

Those photos are from the "John Lennon Museum's" site, which is another Yoko-approved project, so the book is probably in her possession now. The particular page they were originally posted on is this one:

http://www.taisei.co.jp/museum/news/news/060419_e.html

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 01:26:31 PM »

I know that Rod sold his Daily Howl copy at a Southeby's auction in London in the 1980s and got just under seventeen thousand pounds  for it. Perhaps it has since ended up in Yoko's possession. There is another book by John which he gave to Helen Anderson while we were at art college. She put it up for auction but it didn't reach the one hundred thousand reserve price. I don't know whether she still has it.

NoNameR

• A Beginning
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 07:15:29 PM »

Quote from: 1062
I know that Rod sold his Daily Howl copy at a Southeby's auction in London in the 1980s and got just under seventeen thousand pounds  for it.

That should probably cover the overdue rent then :)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 07:19:57 PM »

I still haven't figured how to place photos in the forum. In the meantime I have a few dozen of my personal photos on a Liverpool Photo website: http://liverpooldays.com/photo/thumbnails.php?album=32

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2009, 08:06:38 PM »

^Info on how to post photos here:

http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1218394685/

Basically you just insert the photo's location between the tags.

Bobber

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 02:00:17 PM »

Quote from: 1161
^Info on how to post photos here:

http://www.dmbeatles.com/forums/m-1218394685/

Basically you just insert the photo's location between the tags.

For instance:

Kim and Bill

pc31

• Sun King
  • WE SOUL OUR SOULS FOR ROCK AND ROLL!!!!
    • the moondogs
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2009, 01:19:24 AM »

Quote from: 63

For instance:

Kim and Bill

or like so....
thanks for sharing that bill...virginia is a red hair beauty...you did well old man.... ;)

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2009, 12:09:47 PM »

This morning I enrolled on the Twitter site at https://twitter.com/home Have you heard of it. It's a site which follows your activities.

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 12:14:02 PM »

looks interesting sir bill...do they have posted videos as well?

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 12:38:19 PM »

Here's what I received when I joined Twitter:
Hello, new Twitter-er!

Using Twitter is going to change the way you think about staying in touch with friends and family. Did you know you can send and receive Twitter updates via mobile texting or the web? To do that, you'll want to visit your settings page (and you'll want to invite some friends).

Activate Phone: http://twitter.com/devices
Invite Your Friends:  http://twitter.com/invite

The New York Times calls Twitter "one of the fastest-growing phenomena on the Internet." TIME Magazine says, "Twitter is on its way to becoming the next killer app," and Newsweek noted that "Suddenly, it seems as though all the world's a-twitter." What will you think? http://twitter.com

Thanks again for signing up!

- Biz Stone and The Twitter Team
http://twitter.com/biz

Here is an earlier e-mail I received about it:

Stephen Fry is massive...

I had an idea of how big he is but stood next to him last night I couldn

pc31

• Sun King
    • the moondogs
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 12:54:01 PM »

that would help in business...i can see the merits...seems most my projects fall through the cracks....my aspirations in youth were very much like yours bill...i wanted to start a paper...an information high-way...i wanted it of a music genre...but for what i had in enthusiasm i lacked in tools..soon will come the day when i can't use my back to earn a living...i am trying to take steps on retiring my body from worknow...small steps so far..i just got an updated camera phone so i can ebay a few things and i got fired saturday...so you see i'm on the way...
how are your healths these days bill?yours and virginias i mean....i want you to come visit me in florida someday...we'll go rope us some alligators and maybe go fishing with my kids....i know you probally know alot of people in south florida but the wilds still survive here...i had my truck totalled by a deer...
i may try twitter lets see how you like it...one thing that's seems bad is the text messaging to the phone...texts cost on the phone but i guess it takes money to make money...nothing ventured nothing gained....
i have another angle for a book too...get a known author to co write with an umnknown....has that been done????
you got that email i sent you from anna saying tony wasn't sick?

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2009, 05:31:33 PM »

Spencer Leigh phoned me up this morning to say that my old friend Pat Delaney had died on Saturday. His wife had passed away from cancer some years ago and his four daughters and two sons had left the nest. So he was alone and slightly accident prone. But on Saturday he fell on top of a lighted stove and received terrible burns and died in hospital.

Pat, as you know, was the original Cavern doorman and a good friend of the Beatles and other Mersey groups. Many years ago he was trying to write a book about his experiences called 'the Best of Cellars.' He lent me the manuscript but it was unpublishable. He needed someone to ghost it for him. Sadly, we'll never be able to read about the memories he had.

Bobber

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2009, 09:58:53 PM »

That is sad news. May he rest in peace.

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 11:16:31 AM »

Yes, Paddy was good fun and we had enjoyable times in his company. He used to help deliver copies of Mersey Beat and we also let him do our theatre reviews. His wife was a lovely woman and at one time was considered as Lord Mayoress of Liverpool. He loved Al Jolson and Virginia and I arranged for him to sing Al Jolson numbers on stage at the Trocadero in front of an audience of 2,000. He was physically sick before he went on stage, but he went and did it.

Many thanks for the condolences Bobber, I hope others will express them too

An Apple Beatle

• That Means a Lot
  • Be yourself, no matter what they say.
    • The studio
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2009, 11:49:20 AM »

Bet he knew a few things. ;) Rest in peace sir.
http://www.4sitemusic.com
USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION ON THIS FORUM! CLICK HERE!

Xose

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 03:21:17 PM »

I also would like to give my condolences. Descanse en paz...

Xose

Bill Harry

• Special Member
  • Getting Better
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2009, 09:31:14 AM »

Virginia and I have just returned from Liverpool. We launched my new book 'Liverpool - Bigger Than The Beatles' in the Cavern section of the Beatles Story and there were many guests including Joey and Eddie Ankrah of the Chants, Steve Aldo, Billy Kinsley, Roag Best, Charlie Lansborough, Mike Byrne and many others. Wally Shepard and Dave Ferguson presented Virginia and I with a special award from the Merseycast. Some pics of the night are featured on
http://liverpooldays.com/photo/thumbnails.php?album=58 On the Thursday 100,000 copies of my new issue of Mersey Beat appeared with the Liverpool Echo and this Monday there was a second issue. On Sunday we saw various Merseycats groups at the Hard Days Night Hotel and also met up with Astrid, Klaus and Ulf. On Monday we were at the unveiling of Klaus' new painting in which he has included Virginia and me, Mona Best, Bob wooler, Ray McFall and Alistair Taylor.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Page created in 0.912 seconds with 71 queries.