Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Best Song (A Hard Day's Night)  (Read 14369 times)

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
Re: Best Song (A Hard Day's Night)
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2013, 03:55:48 PM »

AHDN album show's Georges 12 String Rickenbacker at it's best!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain
Sheet Music Plus Homepage

nimrod

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 12:41:12 AM »

Me too Kev. It's cool the way it starts and the rest is great too.  ;)

I can listen to it Anytime......At All !!   :D

KelMar

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 03:14:03 AM »

I can listen to it Anytime......At All !!   :D

:)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2013, 02:37:06 AM »

Right now it's...

The Beatles - I'm Happy Just To Dance With You
I can stay till it's time to go

KelMar

« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2013, 03:44:59 AM »

Somewhere I saw someone write that her favorite Beatles song is always the last one she heard. That may not always be true but it sure seems to be true for me with A Hard Day's Night. I'm glad this isn't a life or death decision!

Dcazz

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2013, 12:23:54 PM »

Somewhere I saw someone write that her favorite Beatles song is always the last one she heard. That may not always be true but it sure seems to be true for me with A Hard Day's Night. I'm glad this isn't a life or death decision!
Me too! I just changed my mind to I Cry Instead!
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who really mean it!
Mark Twain

nimrod

« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2013, 10:49:59 PM »

Somewhere I saw someone write that her favorite Beatles song is always the last one she heard. That may not always be true but it sure seems to be true for me with A Hard Day's Night.

thats great kelley, I just listened to 'I'll get You' first time in ages, what a great song for a B side, its my current favourite  Beatle song :D

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2013, 11:05:21 PM »

I just listened to 'I'll get You' first time in ages, what a great song for a B side, its my current favourite  Beatle song :D

Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah, whoa yeah!   :)
I can stay till it's time to go

Normandie

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 02:12:43 PM »

I've been mulling this topic (i.e., how to choose a favorite off this album) for a long time, and I can't do it. I love all of the AHDN songs so much, I just can't narrow
it down. They're all so fantastic.

nimrod

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 11:15:31 PM »

I've been mulling this topic (i.e., how to choose a favorite off this album) for a long time, and I can't do it. I love all of the AHDN songs so much, I just can't narrow
it down. They're all so fantastic.

totally agree ;)

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2014, 10:25:23 AM »

totally agree ;)

Spurred on by reading this thread, I've gone back to listen to AHDN again after not really hearing it through for quite a long time. It's an extremely high standard album. Very hard to pick a favourite. I usually go back and forth amongst the title track, If I fell, I'll be Back, Any Time at All and I Should Have Known Better. But there's not a dud song on the album and I'd happily listen to any of the tracks.

blmeanie

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2014, 12:48:55 PM »

So why does it rarely get called out in the greatest album discussions?  If one found this forum, read this post first then went to one of the greatest album posts they would assume it was a slam dunk for AHDN.

I think people often get too deep when they are asked "greatest Beatle album" type questions.  This may be it, top to bottom of fun and well written songs.  Sure, it didn't charge into concept album space, didn't introduce new sounds, it wasn't a part of the summer of love, but it is a damn fine album that rarely gets mentioned as such.  Four guys writing and playing together.  Oh yeah, and a movie wrapped around it or it wrapped around a movie...good movie too.

Moogmodule

• A Thousand Pages
  • “Moog was the truth” TheseLyricsDoNotExist 2023
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2014, 08:58:44 PM »

So why does it rarely get called out in the greatest album discussions?  If one found this forum, read this post first then went to one of the greatest album posts they would assume it was a slam dunk for AHDN.

That's a good question. I wonder of its because this album is seen very much as belonging to the early Beatlemania period where the perceived audience was young girls. The music still shows the mark of merseybeat. So it has a more dated air to it. People pay lip service to it as the best of the early stuff. Which by definition separates it from the later catalogue.

Later albums such as Revolver, White Album etc are closer to what our modern conception of rock music is. So they're easier for latter day audiences to relate to. And they're perceived as "cooler".

I'm not saying I agree with these views. But even I'll admit that I haven't listened to AHDN as much as some other Beatle stuff despite its clear qualities.

KelMar

« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2014, 10:19:48 PM »

This may be it, top to bottom of fun and well written songs.

You're right; it is a fun album. When I first started listening to the Beatles on my own this was the album I played most. Of course, my sister stopped after Rubber Soul for some reason so I didn't have all the albums to choose from. And I was only 8 years old then but I haven't changed my mind on this one!
Pages: 1 [2]

Page created in 1.435 seconds with 61 queries.