Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: John Lennon: The Life  (Read 9979 times)

JimmyMcCullochFan

• A Thousand Pages
  • Wino Junko
John Lennon: The Life
« on: November 26, 2008, 08:43:11 AM »

I saw this in the new releases in the book section at Wal Mart but I didn't pick it up. It looks good though. Anybody have it? If so, what'd you think of it? It's from the same guy who wrote "Shout!"

colleengirl95

• Getting Better
Re: John Lennon: The Life
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 08:00:54 AM »

I don't have it but i saw it in TRI NOMA it's a mall here in the Philippines it was in Powerbooks i think but when i came back.. i came to look for it.. it wasnt' in the shelves anymore.. powerbooks in TRI NOMA really rockz! it has a lot of beatles books that you can go see...
[IMG]http://i104.photobucket.com/albums

Octie

• A Thousand Pages
  • It's sunshine life for me...
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 09:15:25 AM »

Oh yeah, that book, it was in the papers down here last weekend, I think because there are NZ references in it... from the article, it sounded like it had quite a bit about Mimi too. Anyone got/read it?
I'd ask my friends to come and see... an Octopus's Garden with me ^___^

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
  • One Thing I Can Tell You Is You Got To Be Free
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 01:39:14 PM »

The Daily Mail published some excerpts from the book last month, which you can find at this Abbeyrd page by scrolling down to October 4th, 6th, 7th, and 8th. There are lots of other good links as well. My own impression is that while it's probably better than most pop/rock writing, it's still pretty average journalism and I've no desire to slog through 800 pages of that when I've already heard this story before from Norman.

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 05:26:26 PM »

I Have it, and its really good. its just so engrossing, and a lot of new stuff is there. I'm currently on 1968, about page 500 out of 815. it has loads of interviews, and is not in the slightest over-sensational as people would have you believe.

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 12:31:02 AM »

its on my christmas list.  :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

fan numero uno

• A Thousand Pages
  • they love me, they love me a lot. they love me....
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 06:40:42 PM »

i saw this book in the store today, and was wondering about it! unfortunatley, i didnt get a chance to look at it, maybe the next time im there i will.
Love the Beatles, and all shall be right.                avatar created by freakchic

digna

• A Beginning
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 07:35:31 PM »

I don't have the book, but I saw it a few weeks ago here, and read the review afterwards. It said (as far as I remember) that it was a good book, but that Norman lost his interest after The Beatles. The only thing that was very innovating that he found out who was the girl in Norwegian wood.
I don't know if it's true. I bought John (Cynthia Lennon) that day, and i didn't read it yet, so I'm not going to buy it although the book seemed very beautiful to me...  :)

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 09:33:16 PM »

Quote from: 1232
I don't have the book, but I saw it a few weeks ago here, and read the review afterwards. It said (as far as I remember) that it was a good book, but that Norman lost his interest after The Beatles.

If so, that's unfortunate, because having read Shout! the most interesting part of the new book to me would be the post-Beatles section.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 04:39:37 AM »

I just saw it today (my sister was in Starbucks and I was wondering through Chapters looking for a friend that works there) and I saw it there.  I almost cried when I saw it there, it looks like an amazing book!!  I really wanna read it now!!!

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

digna

• A Beginning
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2008, 03:31:26 PM »

Quote from: 1161

If so, that's unfortunate, because having read Shout! the most interesting part of the new book to me would be the post-Beatles section.

It was a review in a newspaper, so i don't know if it is all corect what the reviewer said...
I found it again on the internet, so i will try to translate it, but i don't know if it is good English.  :o

The negative part from the review:

It is remarkable how Norman describes the late Beatles-years. As if he knows that about the period - and after Shout also a lot of good thing - is published, and he could better not venture another exegis to Lennons texts. Because Ian MacDonald in Revolution In The Head did that already.

Norman also describes the Dakota Years detached.

Where Norman tried so hard to speak Lennons studiemates en friends from Hamburg, it seams that he lost his interest for Lennons later years.

Unfortunately, because the firtst 200 pages about Lennons youth in Liverpool are wonderful. But when the Beatlemania starts, Norman lost his acerbic.

I really don't know if i translate it correctly (mainly acerbic...), but i hope you can understand it.

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2008, 04:50:56 PM »

It is remarkable how Norman describes the late Beatles-years. As if he knows that about the period - and after Shout also a lot of good thing - is published, and he could better not venture another exegis to Lennons texts. Because Ian MacDonald in Revolution In The Head did that already.

Norman also describes the Dakota Years detached.

Where Norman tried so hard to speak Lennons studiemates en friends from Hamburg, it seams that he lost his interest for Lennons later years.

Unfortunately, because the firtst 200 pages about Lennons youth in Liverpool are wonderful. But when the Beatlemania starts, Norman lost his acerbic.

Thanks for the translation. If I understand him correctly, the writer is saying that Norman is best on Lennon's childhood and the Apple period (and I think Norman was around Apple in the late sixties, perhaps as a reporter), but less good on the mid sixties and John's semi-retirement at the Dakota. That's too bad, really, because Norman did a lot in Shout! to tell the Beatles' story vividly and realistically without hyperbole or mystification, and John's post-Beatles solo era is in desperate need of similar treatment. I guess I'll have to go buy the book: it's only about 25 dollars from Amazon and the holidays are coming up.  :)

digna

• A Beginning
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2008, 07:10:41 PM »

Quote from: 1161

it's only about 25 dollars from Amazon and the holidays are coming up.  :)

I only saw it for

Geoff

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2008, 08:58:37 PM »

I only saw it for ?35.- !  ??) That is a differce... For ?35.- I can also buy The Beatles anthology, I still have only read a few pages, but maybe I'm going to buy that one.

A cheaper paperback version should be out within a year, and copies might turn up at your local library, too. Boxing Day sales are often a good bet.  :)

Mairi

• That Means a Lot
  • The owls are not what they seem
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 03:52:43 PM »

I got it for Christmas. As others have said, the best part is the Liverpool years. I wish he would have gone into depth in the Dakota years, because his writing style lends intself to that sort of thing.

Anyway, it's a good read and not nearly as sensational as the media presented it to be earlier this year.
I am posting on an internet forum, therefore my opinion is fact.

HeyJude18

• A Thousand Pages
  • "Love and Peace are eternal" - John Lennon
    • le blog
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 04:01:04 PM »

I have yet to get through the first chapter of it.  I'm looking forward to get a good chunk of it read over my Febuary break.

RAIN-ed on: July 17, 2010; STARR-strucked: July 23, 2010; PAUL-inated: August 8, 2010

Andy Smith

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 12:53:48 AM »

i've yet to read it but looking forward to it.  :)

Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

Deb

• A Beginning
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2009, 12:05:48 AM »

Quote from: 218
I got it for Christmas. As others have said, the best part is the Liverpool years. I wish he would have gone into depth in the Dakota years, because his writing style lends intself to that sort of thing.

Anyway, it's a good read and not nearly as sensational as the media presented it to be earlier this year.

I enjoyed it and my favorite part was the Liverpool years, too.  I was surprised to see so many quotes from Mimi in it.  

HeatherBoo

• A Thousand Pages
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2009, 01:42:37 AM »

I saw this book in the store the other day, I will wait for paperback version.
<br />

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2009, 07:03:58 PM »

It seems to me that any Phil Norman book is a must-have. My husband just finished reading SHOUT for the first time (of course I've read it far more than that, but he hadn't tackled it yet) and his excitement while reading reminded me of how well Norman writes this subject.

The book DOES seem to get mixed reviews, but I think I'll be giving it a shot, and I don't think I can wait til the PB edition. :)

Pages: [1] 2

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 84 queries.