Solo forums > Ringo Starr

What was Ringo's best drumming

<< < (15/19) > >>

Dcazz:

--- Quote from: Dcazz on September 02, 2012, 05:36:42 PM ---I think one of the reasons it's sounds different is that it was recorded on two tracks. This gave it a much fuller sound and feel!
I can't remember my source but it's in one of my books somewhere.

--- End quote ---
I found it in The Beatles Recording Sessions, page 181. The solo was recorded July 23rd and spread over two tracks of the 8 tracks. "Another Beatle breakthrough!"

real01:

--- Quote from: peterbell1 on May 25, 2011, 12:50:17 PM ---I've always thought A Day In The Life has some cool drumming in it. Not particularly difficult to do, but I bet it's totally unlike what any other drummer would have done on that song.

--- End quote ---

Well, things that seem easy are not easy. Let me post again what I've posted on another topic of Ringo - the praise from Phil Collins:
Starr is vastly underrated. The drum fills on the song "A Day in the Life" are very complex things. You could take a great drummer today and say, 'I want it like that.' He wouldn't know what to do.

--- Quote from: Hombre_de_ningun_lugar on August 29, 2011, 03:19:38 PM ---My favourite Ringo's drumming is on "Strawberry Fields Forever". I love listening only to the left channel of that track just to hear those great drums!

--- End quote ---

Oh, me too! So I'm not the only one who does that! 8)

--- Quote from: Gary910 on February 23, 2012, 06:47:34 PM ---On some of Ringo's fills, it almost like they are backwards of what you would expect to hear.
Listening to some out takes now, specifically "Don't Bother Me".

--- End quote ---

A sharp remark, but it can be explained. Ringo said:

--- Quote ---I'm no good on the technical things [...] I'm your basic offbeat drummer with funny fills. The fills were funny because I'm really left-handed playing a right-handed kit. I can't roll around the drums because of that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringo_Starr

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: BeatlesForever on August 28, 2011, 07:17:43 PM ---What was Ringo's Best Drumming? In my opinion, it was songs such as "I Saw Her Standing There," "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You," "Ticket To Ride," "Revolution," "Paperback Writer" "Birthday," "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me and My Monkey," "Helter Skelter," "Hey Bulldog" and "It's All Too Much" just to name a few. Ringo said it best at the end of "Helter Skelter:" I'VE GOT BLISTERS ON MY FINGERS! Take care.

--- End quote ---

So, I guess most of you fall on Ringo's energetic performances. That's okay.
Now, listen to that soft, rather quiet, meditational George's Long, Long, Long. The drums there are so great because Ringo doesn't drum thru the whole song, but just partially,
during some lyrics and during the refrain. The drums are actually the loudest instrument and you really NOTICE them.

In similar manner: A Day In The Life. It starts with piano, guitar, vocal, maracas (by George), and the drums "join in" after some 45 seconds (after the line he
blew his mind in a car.) We would, normally expect that the drumming would continue - but, no, we hear the instrument that we heard before, there are no drums on
he didn't notice that the lights have changed. And, then, the drums again come in.

I like songs when the drums come a little bit later like in Hey Jude, You Never Give Me Your Money, Golden Slumbers, The End, etc. 8)

KelMar:

--- Quote from: Gary910 on February 23, 2012, 06:47:34 PM ---On some of Ringo's fills, it almost like they are backwards of what you would expect to hear.

--- End quote ---

Ringo explains why that is in this video. He also answers the question at hand.

Ringo Starr Reveals The Secret Of His Distinctive Rhythm - CONAN on TBS

Mairi was right...as Rain. ;)

real01:
^
Nice video.
Since Buddy Holly is mentioned - Ringo did a cover of Think it Over:
Ringo Starr - Think It Over

Notice how Ringo is at ease and having fun when playing drums - but how 'serious' he is at the keyboards - he doesn't raise the head not for a second
while he's playing the keyboards because the keyboards are not 'his' instrument.

real01:
OK, let's hear if that drummer did a good job or not. glassesslip
Isolated piano and Ringo's drums:
Hello Goodbye ( piano and drum track )

And some of Ringo's drumming is hidden beneath that crescendos in A Day In The Life.
So, let's hear only his drums (and Paul's bass) on that song: glassesslip
A Day in the Life -- bass and drums tracks from original recordings

Or maybe something nice from the earlier period:
The Beatles - I Feel Fine isolated drum track, drums only

And, now, the famous "blisters on my fingers" song!
The Beatles - Helter Skelter - Drum Track
I was surprised how Ringo's drumming is so - steady and hypnotic. Powerful, yet steady and hypnotic! glassesslip

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version