Meet people from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Beatles under a microscope - With The Beatles  (Read 39162 times)

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
  • At The Top Of The Stairs
Re: Beatles under a microscope - With The Beatles
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 01:05:30 AM »

Well then only The Beatles can make a filler track sound so good.  I liked Little Child when I first heard it in 1964.  It was the harmonica (or mouth organ if that be the case) that did it for me.  Later on when I took blues guitar lessons, I came to understand the instrumental break better and I liked this song that much more.  Thank you, nimrod, for refreshing my memory.

As far as "maturity" goes, The Beatles were scoring big with teenybopper girls with songs like this.  It had its desired effects.
I can stay till it's time to go

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 01:15:55 AM »

strange, but teenybopper 'throwaways' like little child or devil in her heart - took on a whole different vibe when they were in the beatles television cartoon and (to me) really came across strong
.. yellow submarine, all together now and maxwells silver hammer were basically children's songs . . along those lines (as hello goodbye just kinda said) -> nothing wrong with fun songs aimed to teenaged girls
-
-
kind of made me think the other day.... do female beatles fans 'outrank' male beatles fans, since much of the beatles music was aimed to a female audience . . . . .

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 02:30:11 AM »

strange, but teenybopper 'throwaways' like little child or devil in her heart - took on a whole different vibe when they were in the beatles television cartoon and (to me) really came across strong

Little Child is at 3:04...

THE BEATLES CARTOON Ep9a Little Child

peterbell1

• Getting Better
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 11:41:14 AM »

All I've Got To Do and You Really Got A Hold On Me are two of my favorite songs on this album.  I liked early soul music when this album came out and it was obvious that John was following up on Baby It's You on Please Please Me.  All I've Got To Do is written and performed well and rightfully takes its place in this music genre.

Totally agree with this. I think they are both fantastic songs. Great soulful lead vocal performances on both of them. The backing is also done well - it's sort of like the band really wants to let rip but they are keeping themselves in check because that fits better with the feel of the songs.
On the whole, the cover songs are my favourites on WTB, but All I've Got To Do is one of the better originals.

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
  • I'm a Moondog,,,,,are you?
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 04:42:26 PM »

if you don't understand what this song is about, then clearly you aren't human.  

I had a reply to this comment that was much too harsh. I had to calm down and reconsider my post so I ended up deleting it.

Anyways, back to old Einstein here. I'm sure, 100% positive, i'll change my opinion of the that song if you'll only grace us with your explanation of what it means.  roll:)

Please quit being such a tool.

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2011, 04:44:34 PM »

4. Don’t Bother Me
from top to bottom, a very melodic tune, a complicated song.
day tripper yeah

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 04:48:45 PM »

from top to bottom, a very melodic tune, a complicated song.

Lol, what is so complicated about it?

7 of 13

• Getting Better
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 05:53:41 PM »

8. Roll Over Beethoven
a beautiful song, a real rocker, excellent rendition you can feel the energy.
day tripper yeah

nimrod

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 11:09:33 PM »

Lol, what is so complicated about it?

nothing much as far as I can see tkitna, I beleive George said of the song "It was a fairly crappy song. I forgot all about it completely once it was on the album."
He considered it an exercise in whether he could write a song, later saying, "at least it showed me that all I needed to do was keep on writing, and then maybe eventually I would write something good."
Structurally I cant see anything complicated in the song its basically in the key of E minor (with Pentatonic and modal inflections) which gives it its dark (almost dreary) feel, harmonically there is nothing to much going on but one thing in Georges favour is that he didnt make his first song a 3 chord 12 bar blues thing which wouldve been easier for him.
I agree with George though, not a very good song, about as good as Little Child or Run For Your Life IMO

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2011, 12:17:02 AM »

nothing much as far as I can see tkitna,

Yeah, I know. I was trying to get an honest response from 7 of 13, but of course you cant. He thinks its complicated because his boy toy Harrison wrote it. Even George said it was a crappy song.  ha2ha

nyfan(41)

• Getting Better
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2011, 12:59:02 AM »

actually it is a little complicated - though seemingly simple
-
in that, through verse, chorus and break,  it dances back and forth between the 1/4/5 chords in the dominant key of Gmajor and the 1/4/5 chords in the relative minor key of Eminor
to me that gives it alot of tension and resolution and happy/sad emotional shifts
-
but i kind of assumed that George had just learned, lifted and altered this family of chords from one of the many songs the beatles learned and covered in their early days . .

also when george starts singing, the song isn't on the root chord as many (most?) (simple?) songs do... it just throws you into the melody a little disoriented adding to the frenetic vibe -
for you music heads - the verse's chord progression is:   Bminor... A.... G... Eminor
so mentally as george plays it, the Eminor is phrased like an afterthought to the dominant G . . kind of a fake out when you thought he had landed on the 1 chord (G major)
and therefore.... is the Bminor the minor 3 chord in the key of Gmajor...... or the 5 chord in the key of Eminor
total fake out, lol
george's sensibility is dark and naturally askew (in my opinion) . .  which i like
 ha2ha

maybe more in the rhythm than the chords, but this song always reminds me of the shiek of araby

nimrod

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2011, 01:36:45 AM »

Having re-listened to this album 3 times now Im convinced that All My Loving is the strongest song on it, its just a great song and 10/10 for his bass line, what a great bass player he is, to say he was kinda forced onto bass makes it all the more incredible imo.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2011, 02:31:51 AM »

10. You Really Got Ahold On Me John and George sound good together. 1:17 mark John’s ’Hold On Me’ is awesome.

I agree, John and George sound good together.  And John's "hold on me" at 1:17 was awesome.  I feel it was a fine cover effort on The Beatles' part.

Smokey Robinson and The Miracles sounded like this on Shindig! in late 1964...

Smokey Robinson & The Miracles - You Really Got A Hold On Me (Shindig 1964)

Yes, when Smokey sings...

nimrod

« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2011, 02:49:01 AM »

Yes HG Ive seen that vid before and for me it only emphasises that whaite guys should not attempt songs like that, John did a credible cover but a big fail, compared to the great smokey robinson.
Surely J & P couldve knocked off another song, why not put I'll be on my way on instead ?

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2011, 02:58:44 AM »

Yeah, i've mentioned that earlier in the thread. When the Beatles try to cover those soul tunes, they end up just sounding like the Beatles covering a song (if that makes sense). I dont think they ever do the black/soul songs justice.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2011, 02:59:48 AM »

Till There Was You marks the album's low point for me. If anyone can salvage mushy sentimentalism into musical credibility, then it's Paul - yet even he fails to rescue this embarrassingly mawkish piece of schmaltz. Possibly the worst cover version The Beatles ever attempted. It has an old fashioned, flowery theatricality completely at odds with the tracks surrounding it. I'm sure many love it...for me it comes close to spoiling side one of the LP... Sorry!
The guitars are nice but the whole thing sounds so jarringly dated on what had been shaping up as a very modern (for its time) pop album.

Well, I guess I'm one of the many who love it.  I liked Barbara Cook's original 1957 Broadway Till There Was You...

Barbara Cook sings The Music Man (vaimusic.com) (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

And Shirley Jones sang it well in the 1962 film...

The Music Man Shirley Jones "Till There Was You"

OK, I agree it was a bit mushy, but Paul's lilting rendition was fine indeed...

The Beatles Till There Was You (Live At The Royal Variety Performance)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:33:31 AM by Hello Goodbye »

tkitna

• That Means a Lot
« Reply #36 on: March 29, 2011, 03:13:55 AM »

'Till There Was You' is easily one of my favorites on the whole album. It might be my favorite actually.

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 29, 2011, 03:34:53 AM »

I can understand The Beatles doing Till There Was You in a live set.  And even putting it on this album.  It breaks things up a bit.

I mentioned previously that I took blues guitar lessons from Ian Buchanan in the early 1970s (the same Ian Buchanan who taught Jorma Kaukonen blues at Antioch College a decade before).  Ian would always do a solo Bach Invention 4 in D minor on his Gibson L5 CES right in the middle of his set.  The rest of the band took a break.  What an effect that had!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: March 29, 2011, 03:56:35 AM »

Yes HG Ive seen that vid before and for me it only emphasises that whaite guys should not attempt songs like that, John did a credible cover but a big fail, compared to the great smokey robinson.

It's not easy trying to sound like Smokey.

Surely J & P couldve knocked off another song, why not put I'll be on my way on instead ?

Instead of instead, make it in addition...

I'll Be On My Way - Beatles (The video's owner prevents external embedding)

...sounding a bit like Buddy Holly and The Crickets there.  Nice!!!

Hello Goodbye

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2011, 04:27:51 AM »

'Till There Was You' is easily one of my favorites on the whole album. It might be my favorite actually.

It's obviously one of my favorites too, tkitna.  As you originally said, "Guitar is great. Tone and playing."  George made his Country Gentleman sound so sweet.  I feel he took Chet Atkins' 1960 version to a new level...

http://mp3skull.com/mp3/chet_atkins_till_there_was_you.html
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Page created in 0.535 seconds with 78 queries.