Other music forums > Musician's Corner

Paul McCartney's Rosetti Solid 7 guitar

<< < (2/16) > >>

Xose:
Hello,

Can anybody help me to solve these questions?? Facts:

1) Paul McCartney purchases his Rosetti Solid 7 in 1960, June the 30th., at Hessy's music shop in Liverpool.

2) He arrives at Indra Club In Hamburg in August the 17th., with the guitar and his Elpico amp.

3) Where did he play before?? Only at two venues: Corporation's Grosvenor Ballroom, Grosvenor Road, Liscard, Wallasey, Cheshire and Neston Institute, Hinderton Road, Neston, Wirral, Cheshire.

Were the gigs at these venues booked by Allan Williams??  ???

Thanks in advance and best wishes!!  ;)

Xosé

Bobber:
Bookings like these were usually arranged by Williams or Mona Best. Details like these are usually described by Mark Lewisohn's in his Chronology, but I guess you have checked that. I can hardly imagine that there were only two gigs between June 30th and August 17th.

Xose:

--- Quote from: Bobber on March 17, 2010, 09:42:40 PM ---Bookings like these were usually arranged by Williams or Mona Best. Details like these are usually described by Mark Lewisohn's in his Chronology, but I guess you have checked that. I can hardly imagine that there were only two gigs between June 30th and August 17th.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Bober!! ;)

After having posted my last contribution tio this thread, I found that those gigs at Wirral peninsula were booked by Les Dodd, acting Allan Williams as an agent. In fact, Williams arranged the gigs st those two venues, Neston Institute and Grosvenor Ballroom (=a total of 16, between June Thursday the 2nd and July Saturday the 30th.), every Thursday and Saturday respectively, while the boys were at Johnny Gentle tour in Scotland. IMHO, this was the very resaon which pushed Paul McCartney to purchase an electric guitar: the Solid 7...

After finishing those Wirral gigs, they met Pete Best at The Casbah, the Hamburg chance appeared and the history began to change...

What is of the most interest for me is the fact that the Solid 7 was used 'only' at 7 gigs before arriving at Indra on August the 17th. This would explain why the original Royal scratchplate/pu system wasn't STILL removed...

Xosé

Xose:
At Johnny Gentle's book (=Johnny Gentle and The Beatles: first ever tour - Scotland 1960) is stated that Paul bought his Solid 7 for that tour.

So..., what about Hessy's hire-purchase book date?? (=June the 30th.)  ???

Xosé

Bobber:
Babiuk states that Paul still played his Zenith on that tour. He is playing the Zenith on the audition ten days earlier. Plus the contract with Hessy's looks authentic to me. No reason to change the date on that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version