A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: The White Album as a Single Album...  (Read 26976 times)

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Andy Smith

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4597
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2007, 03:28:18 PM »

Quote from: 937
What song is Take Me Back??

end of Cry Baby Cry.
Welcome to the forums Beatles! Enjoy them, nice list by the
way! ;)

Logged


          Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

  • Guest
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2007, 09:34:10 PM »

personally, I think it's an imbecilic theory that TWA would've been better as a single album..

the whole thought is predicated on some misguided "concept" of late-60's minimalism that contends "lesser is better". I disagree strongely. Perhaps in some graphic art expressions this "economical" approach might be amenable, but why limit a rock band's intended output(and in the present case, the world's greatest) to some dubious time restriction (on the grounds of "artsy" pretension), when the extant 2-Lp set turned out to be a treasure- trove of brilliance no one's ever equalled? When Paul HIMSELF was asked this question, he seemed justifiably annoyed and retorted (I'm paraphrasing) "Single-album, double-album, it's the bloody Beatles White Album, for crying out loud...shut-up!!.."
LOL On this point, I'm w/ Macca 100%.

dems my 2 cents.
Logged

Beatles

  • A Beginning
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 81
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2007, 09:42:11 PM »

Quote from: 829
personally, I think it's an imbecilic theory that TWA would've been better as a single album..

the whole thought is predicated on some misguided "concept" of late-60's minimalism that contends "lesser is better". I disagree strongely. Perhaps in some graphic art expressions this "economical" approach might be amenable, but why limit a rock band's(and in the present case, the world's greatest) to a dubious time restriction when the extant 2-Lp set turned out to be a treasure- trove of brilliance no one's ever equalled?


You are right, but I don't think that most of us think it should've been 1 album, we're just saying what we think it should be if we turned it onto one album.  Personally, I prefer the double album, but it's basically just stating your fav 14 tracks on the White Album
Logged

walrus_21

  • A Beginning
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 114
  • But I tried.
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #63 on: November 12, 2007, 04:20:25 PM »

Keeping singles off the albums was a mistake.  It was done for the benefit of the fans, but it hurt albums all the way through their career.  Imagine what those "100 best" lists would look like if the Beatles could have included Hey Jude and other treasures.
Even George Martin said keeping SFF and Penny Lane off of Pepper was his greatest mistake.  Imagine what that album would've been --adding perhaps their greatest double-A side to an already legendary album.
With all that in mind, I'd leave "The White Album" as it was, 2 discs, with the exception of pulling off #9 and Cry Baby Cry, and inserting Hey Jude, Revolution (the single) and Lady Madonna.
Logged

Klang

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 1045
  • Go to the window...
    • Klangville
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2007, 09:47:22 PM »


Aww...leave #9 alone.

 :P
Logged
'...In the name of Preverti, daughter of the mountains, whose embrace with Rani made the whole world tremble...'

Beatles

  • A Beginning
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 81
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2007, 11:40:56 PM »

Quote from: 789
Keeping singles off the albums was a mistake.  It was done for the benefit of the fans, but it hurt albums all the way through their career.  Imagine what those "100 best" lists would look like if the Beatles could have included Hey Jude and other treasures.
Even George Martin said keeping SFF and Penny Lane off of Pepper was his greatest mistake.  Imagine what that album would've been --adding perhaps their greatest double-A side to an already legendary album.
With all that in mind, I'd leave "The White Album" as it was, 2 discs, with the exception of pulling off #9 and Cry Baby Cry, and inserting Hey Jude, Revolution (the single) and Lady Madonna.
 


I Completely Agree.(except maybe Good Night also) I also thought that maybe Hey Bulldog should've been put on this album. I don't think that that song gets the recognition it deserves, it's a rocker and I think maybe if they rewrote it (or maybe not) it could've been a #1 Single in my opinion.
Logged

BlueMeanie

  • Guest
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2007, 11:49:21 PM »

Quote from: 937


I Completely Agree.(except maybe Good Night also) I also thought that maybe Hey Bulldog should've been put on this album. I don't think that that song gets the recognition it deserves, it's a rocker and I think maybe if they rewrote it (or maybe not) it could've been a #1 Single in my opinion.

Hey Bulldog was written and recorded for the Yellow Submarine movie long before they even went to India, in Feb '68, around the same time as Lady Madonna. Why should that be on The White Album? And why does it need rewriting?
Logged

BlueMeanie

  • Guest
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #67 on: November 13, 2007, 12:01:05 AM »

Quote from: 789
Keeping singles off the albums was a mistake.  It was done for the benefit of the fans, but it hurt albums all the way through their career.  
 

I'm sorry, with respect that comment is a load of rubbish! Which albums - 'all the way through their career' - did it hurt? Name names!

If SFF and Penny Lane were to be included on Sgt. Pepper, they would not have been released as a single. It was very common in those days to not include the current single on an album, and it wasn't just the Beatles or EMI, it was across the board. So which album was hurt?
Logged

Beatles

  • A Beginning
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 81
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #68 on: November 13, 2007, 06:32:18 AM »

Quote from: 483

Hey Bulldog was written and recorded for the Yellow Submarine movie long before they even went to India, in Feb '68, around the same time as Lady Madonna. Why should that be on The White Album? And why does it need rewriting?

I Know that it was written for Yellow Submarine, but im saying that it would be better(in my opinion) if it was on the White Album.  Just because it was written before India doesn't mean it can't go on the White Album, and the Yellow Submarine Album had songs from Revolver(like Yellow Submarine) that came before. I just think that it would be nice if it were on the White Album( Which is already magnificent), like Lady Madonna.
( Im just saying that it would be pretty cool, you know, thats it)

I was just saying that I think that Hey Bulldog is #1 single record material and if it were released as is that it could reach #1, I suppose I thought that people would think that it doesn't make sense and they wouldnt like it, but, yeah, I guess I was wrong on thinking that and it doesn't need rewriting sorry :B
Logged

  • Guest
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #69 on: November 13, 2007, 05:50:06 PM »

Quote from: 789

With all that in mind, I'd leave "The White Album" as it was, 2 discs, with the exception of pulling off #9 and Cry Baby Cry, and inserting Hey Jude, Revolution (the single) and Lady Madonna.
 

I always thought "Revolution #9" was perfect where it is (even though it is a weird, audio montage--always felt it was a perfect segway between the songs that preceeded and followed it)

BUT, having said that, I really, really like the songs you chose above if it had been replaced.

Excellent choices. ("Hey Jude" DEFINITELY should've been on TWA)

Logged

CleanOldMan

  • A Beginning
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
    • My Last.fm profile
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2007, 06:04:18 AM »

1. Back In The U.S.S.R.
2. Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
3. Why Don't We Do It In The Road?
4. I Will
5. Glass Onion
6. Helter Skelter
7. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
8. Don't Pass Me By
9. I'm So Tired
10. Revolution 1
11. Blackbird
12. Rocky Raccoon
13. Birthday
14. Good Night

Andy Smith

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4597
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2007, 10:57:45 PM »

here's mine (the best i can come up with :)):

1. Back in the USSR
2. Dear Prudence
3. Ob-La-di Ob-La da
4. While My Guitar Gently Weeps
5. Happiness is A Warm Gun
6. Blackbird
7. Julia
8. Sexy Sadie
9. Helter Skelter
10. Revolution #1
11. Don't Pass Me By
12. Honey Pie
13. Cry Baby Cry
14. Goodnight

i still think it could have been a slightly better album with songs like
sour milk sea, child of nature, & not guilty on than the dittys like
'do it in the road, & wild honey pie.
Logged


          Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

CleanOldMan

  • A Beginning
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 111
    • My Last.fm profile
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #72 on: November 23, 2007, 05:35:02 AM »

Quote from: 614
...than the dittys like
'do it in the road...

My favorite song on the album.

Bobber

  • Administrator
  • Sun King
  • *****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 13618
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #73 on: November 23, 2007, 02:14:23 PM »

Quote from: 829
personally, I think it's an imbecilic theory that TWA would've been better as a single album..


Well, the imbecilic George Martin thought otherwise.
Logged

  • Guest
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #74 on: December 05, 2007, 07:08:15 PM »

Quote from: 63

Well, the imbecilic George Martin thought otherwise.

and he was out-voted, wasnt he now...
Logged

DaveRam

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2894
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #75 on: December 05, 2007, 07:50:21 PM »

Im glad dear old George was out voted . It would have been great if Hey Jude had made the track listing , but it's brilliant just the way it is  :)
Logged

  • Guest
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #76 on: December 16, 2007, 12:10:14 PM »

Incredibly tough task!!!! But here is my revised White Album;

Side one...

1. Back in the USSR
2. Yer Blues
3. While my guitar gently weeps
4. I'm so tired
5. Why don't we do it in the road?
6. Revolution 1
7. Helter Skelter

Side two...
1. Happiness is a warm gun
2. Birthday
3. Mother nature's son
4. Julia
5. Martha my dear
6. Long, long, long
7. Good night

There you have it....a cracking first side, loud and punchy and a much quieter second side after the first two songs!!! Two George, One Ringo, Five Paul, Five John and one Paul and John (Birthday). A good Beatle balance I reckon....but seriously, the White Album is PERFECT as it is!!!!!!!!!!

Joe
Logged

  • Guest
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #77 on: December 16, 2007, 12:16:04 PM »

.....just realised that I left off Blackbird!!!!!! Will need to revise....it will have to replace a Paul song.......

Side one...

1. Back in the USSR
2. Yer Blues
3. While my guitar gently weeps
4. I'm so tired
5. Why don't we do it in the road?
6. Revolution 1
7. Helter Skelter

Side two...
1. Happiness is a warm gun
2. Birthday
3. Mother nature's son
4. Julia
[size=14]5. BLACKBIRD[/size]
6. Long, long, long
7. Good night
Logged

Andy Smith

  • A Thousand Pages
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4597
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #78 on: December 17, 2007, 11:37:54 PM »

Welcome to the forums joefish!, & what an excellant list on
the white album! I'd buy it!  :)
Logged


          Turn off your mind, Relax and float downstream. It is not dying

walrus_21

  • A Beginning
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Gender: Male
  • Posts: 114
  • But I tried.
Re: The White Album as a Single Album...
« Reply #79 on: December 18, 2007, 11:18:36 PM »

Quote from: 483

I'm sorry, with respect that comment is a load of rubbish! Which albums - 'all the way through their career' - did it hurt? Name names!

If SFF and Penny Lane were to be included on Sgt. Pepper, they would not have been released as a single. It was very common in those days to not include the current single on an album, and it wasn't just the Beatles or EMI, it was across the board. So which album was hurt?


Hope I'm doing this reply correctly.

Blue, perhaps "hurt" is a tough concept to deal with, since their albums were so near perfect.  But think about having the singles on the albums.  What album wouldn't be helped by She Loves You, I Want to Hold Your Hand, etc.?  We Can Work It Out?  Day Tripper?  Keeping those off albums was part of the times -- I'm not arguing that -- but their inclusion helps any album.

My point was, Pepper, cultural landmark that it is, could have been better by adding Penny Lane and SFF.  I'm sorry, but that's a fact.  

Someone else can tell you which albums the singles would have gone on, because I don't have the encyclopedic knowledge of recording sessions/release dates.  

But reverse engineer it, for a sec.  Imagine a White Album with Hey Jude, Lady Madonna and Revolution, and make the argument that it would've been better with #9.  Good luck.

wal
Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
 

Page created in 0.582 seconds with 27 queries.