Solo forums > Paul McCartney

The beginnings of Paul McCartney's bass playing

<< < (2/47) > >>

Xose:
Sam Leach, The Birth of The Beatles, Gwynedd, Pharaoh, 1999, p. 49 (=about their debut at The Cassanova Club in Liverpool, in 1961, February the 11th...)

"...You're playing more of them than Paul does then..."

What was Sam Leach meaning?? Any thoughts??  ???

Xosé

eroz0:
Ive no idea what he could mean. Maybe it was just a random thing he said, trying to make Stu feel better. I'm surprised that Paul didn't object and instead went along with it.

BTW, this thread is great. Thanks for putting all this info together.

An Apple Beatle:
I reckon he is referring to the 'root' notes. In the beginning of playing bass for me, there was no way I could handle many riffs and such things but I could get by playing the root note of the chord. In this case Sam is trying to improve Stu's confidence by putting down Mr. Multi-instrument McCartney for being too fancy on the bass. It's a line to keep Stu inspired.

A great Chick Corea saying, 'It's not what you play, it's what you don't play.'

Xose:

--- Quote from: An Apple Beatle on June 20, 2010, 10:26:12 AM ---I reckon he is referring to the 'root' notes. In the beginning of playing bass for me, there was no way I could handle many riffs and such things but I could get by playing the root note of the chord. In this case Sam is trying to improve Stu's confidence by putting down Mr. Multi-instrument McCartney for being too fancy on the bass. It's a line to keep Stu inspired...
--- End quote ---

Thank you An Apple Beatle!! ;)

So, If I have rightly understood, Paul is playing MANY notes and Sam's saying is to keep Stu inspired. Ok. But...., what is playing Paul McCartney?? Bass or guitar??

Xosé

An Apple Beatle:
It's a bit confusing as it seems Paul would just fit in with what might be needed at the time,depending on available equipment. They would have got away with this in their earlier busking years. Their friendship seemed more important at the time. With a one string Rosseti unplugged I'm not sure what contribution he could have made but if it was plugged in he could 'ghost' basslines for Stu by increasing the bass control? Obviously Paul's musical knowledge was rated high by his band-mates and it was easiest for him out of them all to 'accomodate' his pals. Good buskers can get a sound out of almost anything. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version