Beatles forums > The Beatles

John meets Paul

(1/4) > >>

Spiritinthesky:
July 6th 1957, John Lennon and Paul McCartney met for the first time at The Woolton Church Parish Fete where The Quarry Men were appearing. As The Quarry Men were setting up for their evening performance, McCartney eager to impress Lennon picked up a guitar and played ‘Twenty Flight Rock’ (Eddie Cochran) and ‘Be-Bop-A-Lula’ (Gene Vincent). Lennon was impressed, and even more so when McCartney showed Lennon and Eric Griffiths how to tune their guitars, something they'd been paying someone else to do for them.

From http://www.thisdayinmusic.com

Gary910:
Did they talk or play together the next day?

How long before they started their relationship?

Bobber:
Funny that that is not really known, is it? Diaries mention a Quarrymen performance in the Cavern in August, but without Paul. Pauls debut comes not earlier than October. This is what Murashev says:

1957 Oct 18
Friday    Evening: Performance of the Quarrymen in a ball held by the Conservative Club, at the New Clubmoor Hall, Broadway, Liverpool. Paul's debut. Paul plays for John a couple of tunes he had composed, one of them being `I Lost My Little Girl'.

Bobber:
"It's incredible to realise how history brushed by us that day in 1957," said Rod Davis, The Quarrymen's banjo player back then.

"Lennon meets McCartney and I didn't notice. Maybe I was having a pee. It's hard to imagine it could have happened without Ivan. Maybe John and Paul would have gone on to be musicians. But it's more likely they would have made it into separate bands .

"It's possible they'd never have met... and The Beatles would never have been, without Ivan."

Gary910:
I remember how affectionately Paul has spoken of Ivan. I don't know if they really were great friends, or if Paul just appreciated that Ivan had introduced him to John.

Ivan sadly died of Parkinson's Disease. It is a terrible way to die. It affected Paul enough for him to write a poem to Ivan.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version