A treasury and a place to meet people of all ages with various interests from all over the World
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Thank you!

Author Topic: John Lennon and Manitas de Plata  (Read 809 times)

• A Thousand Pages
John Lennon and Manitas de Plata
« on: November 27, 2010, 03:58:30 PM »

Rosaura López Lorenzo*, En casa de John Lennon, La Coruña, Hércules, 2005, p. 78 (=I beg your pardon for my bad translation into English):

"...Amongst the few expressions that so gracefully John used in Castilian, it was the name of the flamenco guitar player by whom he had a very fond admiration: Manitas de Plata. But he couldn't understand that I had never heard about him.

- That's impossible, Rosa, Manitas de Plata plays the guitar like anyone. He has to be a star in Spain!!

- Spain is bigger than you figure, John. And not everywhere in Spain** the people listen to flamenco.

- But if Manitas de Plata is a genious! He is a guitar hero! -John insisted and shaked his head as if I myself was comdemned to the ethernal fire by confesing my ignorance..."

* As you probably know, Rosaura (=unfortunately, she died in 2006) was the Galician housekeeper who worked for the Lennon's at the Dakota between 1976 and 1980. Her book -in fact, written by two journalists after interviewed her several times between 2001 and 2004- is an absolute 'must' for every Beatlemaniac...

** Rosaura was Galician, and Galicia -my native country in Spain, and where I live- is one of the countries in Spain with no flamenco ttradition...

Page created in 0.254 seconds with 35 queries.